First Pics - First problems - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First Pics - First problems

Here are some pics of the car I took last night. I thought the wheels turned out great. Bad news though, I had them mounted yesterday and this morning I went back to check over all the nuts to make sure they hadn't loosened up. In the processes of checking the nuts, I reailzed that two of them are already flaking. They have been mounted ONE DAY. Good Lord it never ends! They were way too expensive to be flaking. The chipped spots are about the size of dime. I hope I can either figure out how to get them fixed or possibly see if ROH has a warranty. I bought them from JHP so I am going to get in touch with Geoff the first of the week. I will post some pics of the flakes when I get back. I am in Memphis for the NHRA drag race this weekend - I really wish I hadn't seen the flakes until Monday, its going to ruin my weekend. I love the car, I will have SAP grilles and tint installed by Wed of next week. Other than the paint flakes, the wheels are great. The specs are exactly the same as stock 18s so they fit and run perfect. Does anybody know anything about fixing painted wheels?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

No comments eh?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 08:45 PM

you could see if your local auto shop has that color in there little paint section for car paint scratch removal, it's got a little brush on it, works good for little bity stuff, Good luck finding that color
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 08:57 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to raven1124
I would definitely try to get some new ones or get your money back.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Yeh I'm gonna see what I get into Monday with JHP and/or ROH's warranty claim. The hell of it is it didn't flake until the wheels were mounted and I drove it about 30 miles. It pisses me off too b/c I think it looks great except those damn flakes.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 12:14 AM

Car looks fantastic. Where is the flaking taking place? By where the nuts are? Near the edge of the rim? Just wondering if damage somehow occured during the install. Best of luck getting that resolved.

Couldn't even watch the NHRA event today. It was so hot and humid all the cars were running like crap -- and, for some goofy reason, the NHRA doesn't like showing the Pro Mods.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_a_betterperson
Car looks fantastic. Where is the flaking taking place? By where the nuts are? Near the edge of the rim? Just wondering if damage somehow occured during the install. Best of luck getting that resolved.

Couldn't even watch the NHRA event today. It was so hot and humid all the cars were running like crap -- and, for some goofy reason, the NHRA doesn't like showing the Pro Mods.

Thanks man. Yeh it was really hot, we stayed all day. There were pople passing out everywhere. Flakes are on the edge of the nut holes - both of them. I would think that means there is no way it happend during install. I hope to get some relief from AU but I'm not holding out much hope. I'm getting in touch with JHP today. I'll get it figured out one way or another!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 09:04 PM

Hmmm. If the flaking is in the recesses where the lug nuts reside -- the paint may have gotten banged up by the lug wrench. Hate to say it -- but I've seen that before.

In fact, I had a problem with wheel vibration -- so the local tire dealer had to take my wheels on/off the car something like 5 times to get it fixed. Turns out the monkeys with the air wrench would just try to blast the lugs on without threading them with their fingers first. What happened is that they stripped a BUNCH of the studs -- and banged the finish off the inside of a couple of the recesses.

Let us know how everything turns out. Since your ride has a unique set of Holden factory wheels on it -- do yourself a favor and get a set of Commodore VX SS tail lights to complete the look. Sean Beatty at Hunter Holden has them for way less than JHP if you're interested.

https://www.gtoforum.com/showthread.p...ight=commodore
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_a_betterperson
Hmmm. If the flaking is in the recesses where the lug nuts reside -- the paint may have gotten banged up by the lug wrench. Hate to say it -- but I've seen that before.

In fact, I had a problem with wheel vibration -- so the local tire dealer had to take my wheels on/off the car something like 5 times to get it fixed. Turns out the monkeys with the air wrench would just try to blast the lugs on without threading them with their fingers first. What happened is that they stripped a BUNCH of the studs -- and banged the finish off the inside of a couple of the recesses.

Let us know how everything turns out. Since your ride has a unique set of Holden factory wheels on it -- do yourself a favor and get a set of Commodore VX SS tail lights to complete the look. Sean Beatty at Hunter Holden has them for way less than JHP if you're interested.

https://www.gtoforum.com/showthread.p...ight=commodore

At this point, I won't be ordering anything else from JHP. The lug wrench could be a possibility, except I watched the guy put them on. He was very careful with the whole process it took him over two hours to get them mounted and installed. I'm afraid it's the crappy finish on the wheels that's the problem. I have not had the chance to get a picture sent to JHP yet b/c my car has been at the dealership since yesterday at 7:30 am. They are trying to fix a little rattle and install my SAP grilles. I hope to get it back this afternoon. The taillights look cool, I have to get the wheel situation figured out first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in