LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
hsv

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First trip to NASCAR

Hi All:

Went to my first NASCAR race at Hew Hampshire Motor Speedway yesterday. It was very cool. I was sitting front row at the end of the straight, could feel the ground shake, hot air from the wake, and smell the exhaust each time they went by. Amazing how fast the cars were, and how loud they were.

Best thing was that I pulled up in the parking lot one spot away from an '05 QSM GTO (didn't get to meet the driver unfortunately), one of the guys next to me was a mechanical engineer from GM who worked in their alternative fuels department on fuel cells (they are doing cool stuff). Guy in front of me was a huge GTO fan. FWIW The GM guy said that he thought the price of our GTOs was going to go up now that Pontiac was shutting its doors.

The GTO got so many looks and comments. It was pretty cool.

Absolutely awesome day! Only minor downside is that after hearing the NASCAR exhausts my stock exhaust sounds way too tame... might have to do something about that soon.

HSV.

--
2006 PBM/M6/18s 1 of 1124
No mods (yet!)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsv View Post
Hi All:

Went to my first NASCAR race at Hew Hampshire Motor Speedway yesterday. It was very cool. I was sitting front row at the end of the straight, could feel the ground shake, hot air from the wake, and smell the exhaust each time they went by. Amazing how fast the cars were, and how loud they were.

Best thing was that I pulled up in the parking lot one spot away from an '05 QSM GTO (didn't get to meet the driver unfortunately), one of the guys next to me was a mechanical engineer from GM who worked in their alternative fuels department on fuel cells (they are doing cool stuff). Guy in front of me was a huge GTO fan. FWIW The GM guy said that he thought the price of our GTOs was going to go up now that Pontiac was shutting its doors.

The GTO got so many looks and comments. It was pretty cool.

Absolutely awesome day! Only minor downside is that after hearing the NASCAR exhausts my stock exhaust sounds way too tame... might have to do something about that soon.

HSV.
Awesome..... I know what you are talking about...... Pontiac invited the GTOAA to the Grans-Am Rolex Series at the Glen a few weeks ago. 2 clubs were in attendance and were given VIP treatment all weekend. We had a BLAST. This was my first time catching the Koni Race, the Bush camping series race and the Rolex race. We had such a great time, I will be working with the GTOAA's Chapters Coordinator to do this again next year regardless if Pontiac isn't hosting.

It's a whole different experience than sitting in front of a T.V. LOUDER too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 11:17 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Cool. We drive down to Talladega's fall race each year. Our tickets are before the start/finish line in front of the pits. Watching these guys come into the pits to get worked on is half the fun of the race. Air wrenches screaming and pit crews running around in a "controlled" Chinese fire drill. Even the low flying jets b/4 the race puts chills down your spine! There's usually a Stealth bomber in the mix too. Way cool.......
Spending a week on the beach in Gulf Shores, AL after the race doesn't hurt the trip either...........
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68greengoat View Post
Cool. We drive down to Talladega's fall race each year. Our tickets are before the start/finish line in front of the pits. Watching these guys come into the pits to get worked on is half the fun of the race. Air wrenches screaming and pit crews running around in a "controlled" Chinese fire drill. Even the low flying jets b/4 the race puts chills down your spine! There's usually a Stealth bomber in the mix too. Way cool.......
Spending a week on the beach in Gulf Shores, AL after the race doesn't hurt the trip either...........

Greengoat -- Had business dealings in the early 90s with a big NASCAR team and went to two races at Talledega in the infield. Was treated like royalty by the locals, even though I'm a Noo Yawker by birth. Had a great time with the stuff you noted above and with the crazies in the infield. You haven't been to a NASCAR race until you experience 'Dega. Regards, Paul.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 11:28 AM

I know what you guys are talking about. I go to Dover for the June race each year. The first time I went I sat low near the track. I couldn't believe just how powerful the cars were. TV does not due these cars justice. Now I like to sit high over the track to be able to see the entire oval but everyone has to sit close to the track at least once.

'06-RED/RED M6 - Lingenfelter CAI, Kooks LT Headers/w HF Cats, GMM Rip Shifter, Flowmaster Super 40's, Resonator Deleted/Straight Pipes, Pedders Front Struts, GTO Decals and Rear Bumper "GTO" Decal Insert
ATCO-28 Oct. '07 - 13.1 @ 107.81
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
hsv

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO JUDGE View Post
Awesome..... I know what you are talking about...... Pontiac invited the GTOAA to the Grans-Am Rolex Series at the Glen a few weeks ago. 2 clubs were in attendance and were given VIP treatment all weekend. We had a BLAST. This was my first time catching the Koni Race, the Bush camping series race and the Rolex race. We had such a great time, I will be working with the GTOAA's Chapters Coordinator to do this again next year regardless if Pontiac isn't hosting.

It's a whole different experience than sitting in front of a T.V. LOUDER too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nice! I'll definitely have to make it down to the Glen sometime.

The sound is *awesome*, and the speed as they go past! 24, 48, and 14 were flying, you could see them passing cars with ease. I didn't appreciate how much difference a "fast" car makes until I was there watching them fly past. The tire marks on the side of the cars were pretty cool too, those guys really get in to it!

--
No mods (yet!)

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
hsv

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68greengoat View Post
I'd love to go to Talladega sometime. The bump drafting they do is incredible.

I enjoyed watching the pit guys too, I was sitting right in front of them. It's amazing how efficient those guys are.

And yes, the jet flyover was very cool. I'm definitely going back in September for the Sylvania race!

--
No mods (yet!)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in