GM Dealers Are The Worst - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
GM Dealers Are The Worst

With the service you get at GM dealerships, it's no wonder they are in trouble. I mean first there was the poor quality, which GM has addressed for the most part. Then there was a bunch of rental car specials that have mostly been replaced by decent cars that people actually want to buy. But for GM to turn the corner they have to do something about their dealerships service and the experience you get while there.

My C6 has a problem with the differential. It's actually the fluid used in it. The didn't put the right friction modifyers in it so now I'm starting to get a light growl at low speed tight corners. No problem, I'm due for an oil change too so it's off to the dealer.

The first dealership is Vann Gannaway Chevrolet in Eustis Florida. They are right down the street. I stopped in yesterday around 10Am, since I had already taken a personal day. There is a decent place to eat close enough to walk to and I had a magazine and a newspaper, but no appointment. This is the same dealer I had problems getting my top repaired at before, but it had been 8 months and they had given me excellent service before that. I figured I owed them a second chance.

I walked up to the service advisor, all three were standing there not doing anything, and told him my issue. He said the rear end would take 2 hours and the oil change an addittional hour. I told him no problem since I was prepared for a wait. He said they couldn't take me today that I would need to make an appointment. I said ok when can you take it. He said tommorrow, meaning today Apr 5th. I said great, I can bring it in at 11 Am when I go to lunch and pick it up at 4 or 5, that will give you 5-6 hours. He said, we need you to bring it in at 7:30 AM. I said, I'm at work and that won't work for me. I need to bring it in at 11 and leave it for the afternoon. He checked his book and said oh you know what, tommorrow (Apr 5th) will work.

I show up at 10:50 to drop the car off. I walked in with the key FOB and the mileage. Different service advisor though. I said I have an 11AM appointment to get my diff fluid changed and an oil change. He said a just a second. Runs into another office where I here him talikng to the Dis-service Manager. He comes back out and says when can you bring the car in. I said now. He said they were too busy for today, how about tommorrow morning. I said I have an appointment for today and he said I was late if I did. They only issue 7:30 appointments. I told him again that the other service advisor had made an appointment for me at 11. He said sorry I misunderstood him, the only way they would take my car was if I dropped it off at 7:30 AM. I told him i couldn't do that, I was working at that time and couldn't leave but that I could bring the car in at 11 and pick it up at 4-5. He said sorry I'll just have to keep trying till they have an opening. I ask for the Manager. He said sorry he's on lunch break. I said fine, I'm taking it that you just want me to go to Cecil Clark Chevrolet for service and left.

After all that I call Cecil Clark and they act like I'm asking the world of them to bring the car in at 11Am instead of 7:30 and leave it all day. What the piss is the problem with GM dealerships that they think you can just leave your car there all day for them to fix. It's 2-3 hours worth of work and I'm scheduling an appointment with a 5-6 hour window for them to do the job.

Am I unreasonable to think that a 5-6 hour window is enough time to do a 3 hour job???????

GM will have problems till they actually start providing service to their customers after the sale.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 09:56 PM

Yep, they don't get it at all. When you think of it, an oil change and rear diff fluid change should take all of 30 minutes. One thing with the high-end European dealers is that they put you in a rental no questions asked -- which makes a huge difference. Domestics? They never offer a rental -- just a stupid ride in a crappy van...
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_a_betterperson View Post
Yep, they don't get it at all. When you think of it, an oil change and rear diff fluid change should take all of 30 minutes. One thing with the high-end European dealers is that they put you in a rental no questions asked -- which makes a huge difference. Domestics? They never offer a rental -- just a stupid ride in a crappy van...
It's a little bit more than just a fluid change for the differential. They need to take the cover off and spray it with parts cleaner to get rid of the bad fluid. but still it's 2-3 hours tops. I'm giving them a 6 hour window.

Just about makes me want to join Groucho on the Dark Side over at Porsche.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 10:34 PM

OK guys - I get it and some service depts can be the craps, but get this....

Took the goat in for its second service to Motor City Pontiac Quick Lube. I have a service plan on the car provided at no charge by Pontiac.

I called to ask for a service appt, but they said, not to worry, no appt needed, we should be able to change your oil and rotate in about 30 minutes unless the shop is really busy. I went in at lunch.

The service guy says, the GTO requires 5W-30 M1 and right now I'm out, but It is supposed to be here any minute. Sorry for the inconvenience, may I call you when it arrives? Sure says I and off I go.

He called back at 2 and said his oil delivery was in, please come back at your convenience and will get you squared away. Went in at four, there were four guys all over the car, and I watched every move. Delco PF46 filter, correct oil, they even asked me to come underneath and have a look, which I did.

They pulled the car out, the service manager came out, asked me if I was happy with the car and the service, said that the car was going to be pulled around for the rotate - please - if you like- go talk to the technician - follow me and I'll show you where it is going. WOW - I did.

Ever so gently up the car went, and the tires were moved, and torqued, pressure checked, ( the guy knew what they were supposed to be ) but said, it is hot and they are going to read high. He was right.

This store gets it - 30 minutes later I'm done and they did it totally right, and no charge. NICE

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for SoCal folk.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 11:42 PM

Hate to throw a wrench in the gears of your theory.
My GM dealer that I bought my goat from is very good to me.
Fix my problems fast and correctly, and are knowledgeable about the car. Plus CUTE girls there.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 02:54 PM

Its about 50/50 The service Depts in Aiken and Augusta SUCK BALLS.Pendarvis Pontiac,Chevy,Buick,GMC which is a small dealer in Edgefield here is great.They bend over in anyway to help you.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 04:03 PM

I have had everything from the worst service to the best service. Mostly, it started out bad, and then I kept upgrading dealerships until I found one that would treat me right. I called this afternoon after noticing some leak spots in my engine bay, that I *think* I narrowed to down to the brake master cylinder. I called the dealer, the service consultant remembered me AND my car, and told me to bring it whenever was convenient for me and he would get someone to look at it and order the parts. I am also going to have them replace the fuel line, as I pulled the fuel rail covers off to clean them and I am starting to get some wear. (see https://www.gtoforum.com/showthread.php?t=7640)

This contrasted with the other dealer in the area where I had an appointment for an oil change and it took them a little over 4 hours (not to mention being told that my strut run was caused by me being too young and driving recklessly). Needless to say, I only go there if it's a last resort.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
I am one of the few lucky ones on here. I can't say enough good things about my dealer and the treatment I have received.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Unreal!!!

I took the car into Cecil Clark for the first appointment I had. That was Wedneday the 11th at 11. The service and most of the dealership is closed. The founder, Cecil Clark, had passed away. The funeral was on Wednesday. While upset that I didn't get a call I could understand. I was told by the receptionist to call around 3 pm, someone would be in.

I called at 3pm. I talked to a service advisor that told me to bring the car in on Thursday. I told him that I couldn't bring it in till about 11 am. I also told him that I had a function on Thursday evening that required me to pick the car up at 4:15 or at 7 pm. He said that he wasn't sure that he could get the 2 hour job done in time and that their cashier left at 5:30 so I couldn't get the car after that.

How about Friday. He said that would be great. 11 Am it is.

Well I made it in at 10:30Am. I pull up. Write down the mileage on the piece of paper that has my name, address, 3 phone contacts, the problem my car has and the Vin number on it. I had that paper clipped to the TSB for the issue my car has.

A service advisor approaches me and asks if he can help me. I said yep I have an appointment to get my car fixed. He said that Jim would be right over, he was the "Corvette" service advisor. Jim looked at me and kept doing his paperwork. After 10 minutes and 2 other people asking if they could help me and then telling me to wait for the Corvette guy, Jim starts walking toward me. As he passes me he tells me he will be right back. At 11:05 Jim finally gets to me to give me the special service that Corvette owners deserve, mean while the owners of 2 Cobalts and a 10 year old Silververado have gotten taken care of.

I said I had the Corvette with the differential issue. He says he only has one Corvette tech and he is busy. He tells me, you guessed it, I need to make an appointment to get it in at 7:30. A guy with a 96 Vette was in for 7 hours worth of work. He didn't have time to get to mine. When he saw I was upset, he said if I left it he could look at it. I responded with a look at it, that's what we are doing right now. That doesn't get my car fixed. I asked why he broke my appointment. He responded with an it's the dealerships policy to help the customer that is there first.

I'm really close to being done with GM over this. I've made 4 total trips with 4 appointments that were broken. I've let GM customer service know that if they value me as a customer they will get a dealership to pick my car up. Take it to a dealership and return it fixed. Basically if they don't by next weekend I'm buying another car.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 12:45 AM

Hell the GM dealers here don't seem to have open service centers on weekends and if they do, they don't even have anything available but oil changes. If I have a warranty related problem, I'll never ever be able to get the car to them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in