GM, Ford, And Others Want to Make Working on Your Own Car Illegal - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
GM, Ford, And Others Want to Make Working on Your Own Car Illegal

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/s/gm-for...160000229.html

"What GM, and even tractor companies like John Deere, argues is that you, as an owner, don’t actually own your car. Rather, you’re sort of just borrowing it for an extended amount of time and paying for the rights to use the technology. If it sounds ridiculous— it is. But it gets even more ludicrous......"

Welcome......To the future! I actually remember this being mentioned in the 80's when OBD 1 was a leering specter in the future. OBD 2 was gonna seal the deal but now they're gonna get serious. The thing is....people are smart and will find a way because that's what we do with challenges...take them on and conquer them.

GM should worry about itself...what it will do if gas ever hits $5 a gallon again and it can't rely on trucks and SUV's to prop itself up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 01:51 PM
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
After they get sued for breach of contract and vehicles returned for said breach they will change that tune.
I had my F-150 to the dealer 3 times, brake light would come on then no brakes.
These fools replaced my brakes and I almost wrecked coming home from the dealership.
I finally asked my local parts guy and it took him less than a minute to pull up the Ford service bulletin on the problem.
Dirty connectors on the speed sensors on the wheels.
I cut the connectors off, soldered the wires and shrink tubed them problem solved.
I guess I committed a felony by fixing something they should have easily fixed the first time I brought it in.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A little too much hype in that article. I believe what the manufacturers want is to stop owners from modifying or disabling certain software safety systems.

If they do overreach, it's just another reason to stay away from late model cars. The things are bricks in waiting, anyhow.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Former Moderator

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
^ I agree. Unlike the pre 1980's cars, which are relatively simple and "mechanic friendly" new cars have miles and miles of wiring, multiple computers and constantly evolving software that IMO ensures that only a select few that are stored in a climate controlled environment will remain in "stock" configuration or be completely gutted of these systems and fitted with aftermarket computers to drive the FI systems. You already see this with many Gen IV Camaros and late model mustangs. This is what they want to make illegal.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 12:48 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Garage
No fear, if you have a title for your car, you don't own it anyway, the state does. You do NOT own your car/truck/SUV!, page 1 I have a friend who is into all this and he explained it to me. He drives around on expired tags and no current sticker -this is a fact as I checked it. He has even been stopped for it and gone to court. He beat it and it was thrown out, again, he emailed me his case for the judgement. He pays no auto taxes.

He also doesn't pay federal income tax. Yep, he gets harassed by the IRS, but they walk away because he starts quoting law. I know, BS right? He told me very few people actually know the laws let alone contest them. If you don't put "exempt" on the form they give you at your workplace to deduct federal taxes, you have "voluntarily" entered into contract with the federal government and THEN they can go after you for not paying income tax. The Income Tax law was never ratified/voted into law, but it is assumed it was. (and I don't know enough to pull what he does, so I pay like everybody else)

He is really into all this stuff and shares some of it. Do you know the difference between the "United States" and the "United States of America?" Big difference, but most assume that you are a citizen of the "United States" and when asked this question by any law agency and you answer "yes", you allow them jurisdiction over you. Claim to be a citizen of the "United States of America" and invoke all your Constitutional rights changes things.

How come they don't teach this stuff in school?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
uhhh huhh....Wesley Snipes thought that as did so many others...

**QSM/RH/A4/17**1 of 52**
Like what you've got?...Thank a Vet!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
El DeBarge, Maurice White (of Earth, Wind, and Fire), Richard Pryor, also come to mind. Your friend's time will come, Pontiac Jim. They just haven't gotten to him yet.

2005 Pontaic GTO - CGM 6 Speed (My car)
2017 Chevrolet Colorado 2WT (My daily driver)
2010 Mercedes Benz C300 Sedan (Wife's car)
2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 03:33 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP11 View Post
El DeBarge, Maurice White (of Earth, Wind, and Fire), Richard Pryor, also come to mind. Your friend's time will come, Pontiac Jim. They just haven't gotten to him yet.
I hate to agree with you, but I think the same thing. I would not attempt to try it because you gotta know they are just waiting for a slip up and to me it would be like having to look over your shoulder all the time and I just don't care for that feeling..........so I comply, resistance is futile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in