Goofiest Thing You Ever Did To A Rental - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Goofiest Thing You Ever Did To A Rental

FergyFlyer's comment on another thread prompted this.

So, what's your insane rental car story?

Mind's pretty mild. Was visiting relatives in Pittsburgh. After a dinner party, wound up having to back down this insanely hilly and curvy driveway with a wall made out of really sharp rocks right next it. There was a turnaround area at the top -- but it was loaded with cars. I screwed up and brushed the wall for a split second. No big deal, I think. COULDN'T have hurt it.

Get back to the hotel -- and there are these HUGE gouges in the bumper. Paint and primer all gone. White streaks everywhere. Couldn't believe it. And it's 11 on a Sunday night -- so nothing's open. On the way to the airport, I stop by an auto parts store. Hmm. Touch up paint? No way. Spray can of paint? Ummm, no. What's this? They've got this "color matching car wax." It's on sale for $4.99 -- and this shade is in the ballpark -- so let's give it a shot.

Didn't have a lot time before my flight. Took the crap and smeared it on with a sock in the auto parts store in the parking lot. Some guy walks up and says "rental, huh?" Filled the gash marks up level with the paint surface -- and, lo and behold, it kind of works. Geez, I hope it doesnt' rain on the way to the airport.

Got to the rental car check in. Fortunately, it's in the airport's parking garage on a cloudy day -- plus the lighting is kind of bad. The kid's walking around the car -- I'm just waiting to get nailed -- and, ta da, he issues a receipt.

Was cringing for the next couple of credit card bills -- but never heard anything.

Come on, folks. That's easy to top!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 08:53 PM

List too long too mention

Everything from slamming it reverse at 55mph and doing a massive reverse burnout to locking the rear brakes on a front drive and doing some cool stunt driving to almost driving one off a cliff in Cancun,took 3 tow trucks and about 300ft of chain to rescue it,,cost me $50 and a couple six packs of cerveza for the tow truck drivers.Bent the crap out of the jeep fenders so we used some coconuts to hammer them back i place and then covered them in mud so you couldnt see the damage...

Here is one I rented in Texas a few years back,,did some crazy field driving in it .. Had it for 3 days,threw some feed on it and in it to get some good Goat pics,couple of the big males rammed the car with their horns fighting over the feed.,by the time I took it back it wouldnt go over 60mph without the steering wheel shaking out of your hands,brake,abs and engine lights were all on.. Dropped it at the lot,put the keys in the drop off box and that was that. I LOVE rental cars..

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 09:16 PM

I rented an 89 Olds Cutlass in Sioux City Iowa.I was opening a store on hwy 75/20 with a bunch of other guys. We had 4 people per car and as the senior employee on the set crew I had the keys to 1 of the cars. It was mostly down hill and across I29 to the first exit for the hotel. The airport was about 1 mile south on 29. Well it was about -5 degrees in January, the car hadn't been run all day, and the best way to warm the car was to run it flat out. It was only 6-7 miles to the hotel and we wanted heat. We jumped in I fired it up, hit drive and nailed it out of the parking lot and onto 75/20 without letting up. I got up to 110-115 when it hit a rev limiter, and I held it there for about 3 miles down a hill. Right before the exit for I29 is where it threw a rod. It locked the wheels for an instant before breaking the transmission into neutral. The good thing was we were able to coast almost the whole way to the airport. The car had 300 miles on it.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 09:20 PM

Jesus. Now I know why the old addage "Never buy a rental car" is so apt.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 12:08 AM

300 miles on an 89???Rebuilt motor or this was the time you worked there?

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deftec
300 miles on an 89???Rebuilt motor or this was the time you worked there?
It was a rental. In 1989. Brand new car.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 07:57 AM

Man... I need to start beating on my rental cars more! lol

I haven't done anything to crazy... I did see how much pressure it took to lock up the rear wheels with the E brake going 55 in a new altima, doesn't take as much as you would think! The ride wasn't quite as smooth after that!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 09:56 AM

Off roading in a pair of Toyota Corollas on Moloka'i with some buddys. When they got stuck by bottoming the oil pan out on a high spot, leaving the front wheels high-n-dry, we'd lift 'em up and keep going.

We were late for our plane after booniewhomping in these fine sleds, so we had to haul ass back to the airport. As we stepped out of the cars, we noted how the cars were completely covered by red clay dirt and that they smelled like mobile grass fires.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 10:23 AM

Holy hell you guys are crazy.

Worse I ever did was when I had a Neon 2003 brand new Neon rental, I figured I'd see what the little sucker could do. Had my best friend in the passenger seat and we were just cruizing down the road when some guys in a Civic pulled up. They of course wanted to go from a roll at about 30, and there were some rail-road tracks up ahead.

Well we took off, and he started pulling on me some. When we got near the RR tracks, my friend told me to just floor it over them... not my car so don't worry about it. The guy in the Civic realized I wasn't about to slow down so we both nailed it at about 75mph over the RR tracks. Of course this wasn't just a nice normal flat crossing, it was one of em with an insane rise going up over the tracks. So we both hit it, go airborne for about 10 feet and come crashing down.

I was suprised because the Neon took some nasty little dents on the under side of the front fender (which the rental agency never noticed)... but I did seriously nock the wheels out of allignment. I swear after that happened when the car was driving at 60 mph it felt like it was just going to randomly go spinning out. The Civic however... well let's just say those things are serious pieces of crap. The guy had a body kit all over his car, and when it landed both the front part of the body kit and his front bumper went flying off of his car.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 11:00 AM

I got an Awsome Kill in the rental

My cousins were visiting recently for my bros wedding and there were 4 of us all in my cousin's rental, the plush kia amanti. We just got back from the bars and were on the way home when we spotted a 04 mustang gt sitting at a red by his lonesome. We were in the turn lane and moved over to the next lane on our right. My cousin had a few f-bodies back in the day and is a crazy mother.

Both of our windows were down and so I holla over to the dude in the stang and his lady friend and ask if they wanna race. I ask him if he has any mods on the stang and then I tell him that we got a turbo on the amanti. He gives me a look like you got a what on a what?

The light turns green he smokes us in the first 20 feet, my cousin knows this is going to be a nasty death so we flip a [email protected]#$ in the middle of the intersection and take off the other way.

We were all laughing so hard that he bit for our bs. His girlfriend must of really been impressed with all of us.

I think this should count as a kill for the amanti?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in