Got the Magnum SRT8 home - my impressions - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Got the Magnum SRT8 home - my impressions

First - no flames please. I'm not looking to make converts of anyone here. Being a GTO and SRT8 owner is a privilige as far as I am concerned.

On to my impressions. Last night we drove home from out of state with our new Magnum SRT8. We traveled over 300 miles to pick up the car. Since we had no trade it was an easy internet transaction going to the dealer with the best price. Our car is absolutely loaded. The only option it does not have is the "kicker" sound system, which I did not feel strongly about anyway. Anyway, navigation, mp3, hands free cell phone, on and on...very nice. Well appointed family hot rod. Final out the door price was $37,879. Less than my previous Denali, and much more fun.

The 300 mile journey home was mostly highway, although I did take some two lane back roads, and we did hit some traffic through towns. I averaged 19.3 mpg on the trip home, which all things considered is pretty good for a new car. I averaged between 65-75 on the highway portion.

Powertrain - Very impresive. Not quite as linear as the LS2. The hemi is a touch soft on the bottom-end, but really comes on as the RPM's build. Shifts are just a bit softer than the GTO as well, but still feels right. The engine has real nice tone to it, and like the GTO, it's too hard to resist dipping into the go-pedal.

Interior - Very nice seats. Interior is nice and roomy - lots of room for our kids and luggage, etc. The dash is fine, but I would have appreciated some softer plastics like the GTO. Otherwise, it's tight as a drum.

Brakes/suspension - Outstanding brakes. The Brembo's are really impressive, although they produce alot of dust I noticed. I think the pad compound may be too aggressive for the street. Suspension is taught. It rides a little harder than the GTO, but it's not abusive at all. In spite of it's size it really handles extremely well.

Anyway -I'd say this. If you want musclecar fun but need the room, this is a nice consideration. Very impressed with it. It does create a dilema when deciding which car we want to take

Last edited by smokey; 05-23-2006 at 05:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 07:55 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to EEZ GOAT
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 08:42 PM

Grats on your Magnum--good to hear you like it.

Is your Goat an A4? I'm curious as you mentioned the shifting in the Magnum being softer than the Goat.

There aren't many performance wagon offerings currently, so that makes this vehicle rather unique (and probably a sleeper too).

06 IBM/blue M6 18"
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless
Grats on your Magnum--good to hear you like it.

Is your Goat an A4? I'm curious as you mentioned the shifting in the Magnum being softer than the Goat.

There aren't many performance wagon offerings currently, so that makes this vehicle rather unique (and probably a sleeper too).
Yes, my GTO is an A4. I'd love an M6, but the A4 is easier for me to live with on a day-today basis. Like my GTO, the Mag is unique like you mentioned. I have only seen one Magnum SRT8 on the road, so again when you see one it's a rare sighting just like the GTO.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 09:01 PM

Congradulations!
Pics! Pics! Pics!
Which car feels faster?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 09:13 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to EEZ GOAT
Quote:
Which car feels faster?
\
yeah what he said
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEZ GOAT
\
yeah what he said
They feel really close. When I got home I needed to run an errand and I jumped in my GTO for that very reason. Ran to the store and did a couple short WOT runs, then came home and jumped in the Mag, and did the same and I just can't tell any difference in the SOTP. They both just flat out rip!

I will say this, this is a great time to be a gear-head. If you would have told me 10 years ago I'd be driving a new 400hp GTO and 425hp family car I would have said you were crazy!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey

I will say this, this is a great time to be a gear-head. If you would have told me 10 years ago I'd be driving a new 400hp GTO and 425hp family car I would have said you were crazy!
A great time indeed!
Domestic production cars haven't had this kind of horse power since the 1960's
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 01:10 AM

Congrats on the new car. Last year I was seriously thinking about getting one, but at the time the price for even the 6 cylinder was out of my range but it seems to have all worked out.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey
They feel really close. When I got home I needed to run an errand and I jumped in my GTO for that very reason. Ran to the store and did a couple short WOT runs, then came home and jumped in the Mag, and did the same and I just can't tell any difference in the SOTP. They both just flat out rip!

Nice going.

If I was in the market for family car/SUV with flex-appeal I'd go with one of the 4 SRT-8 lineup, no doubt 'bout it.

And yes, this is a great time...a real throw-back to the 60s, imo.

Ford is kind of a one trick pony with their GT500...worth getting if you're willing to buy Shelby's (Pineapple Nose's) limited production car at an inflated price. But I wouldn't want to buy that kind of egotistical car that could be so easily spanked by a LS2 GTO with a cam package.

GM and Mopar are the ones that are getting it right and taking the right approach.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in