Grab Your Ankles -- Gas Is Going To The Moon - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Grab Your Ankles -- Gas Is Going To The Moon

Thought you got screwed on gas last year? Just wait for this one. We just went over $61 a bbl -- for completely idiotic reasons like "a refinery caught fire in Texas" and "the President of Iran found fleas in his beard."

We're already over $3 for premium here in Northern California -- and the local newspaper, the horrific San Jose Mercury News, says to watch for prices to go another .20 to .40 a gallon higher as the prices are already up that much at the wholesale level.

Bottom line? Commodities speculators have gotten momentum again -- and they're going to bid crude through the roof just like they did last year -- when the media was publishing crap like "we're running out of oil" while so much was pumped out of the ground tankers full of the stuff were sitting around because there wasn't any place to store it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 03:07 PM

I think I might buy a bike....
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 03:29 PM

Festivas are getting scarce.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 04:49 PM

The US AF just successfully tested synthetic fuel. It can be made from either natural gas (thank god Al Gore's still around) or coal. It makes good kerosene, Jet fuel and great diesel. We have enough low sulphur coal in Utah alone to supply the US with heating oil, Jet fuel and diesel for 300 years at our current usage and it costs about the equivilent of $45 bbl oil. It's estimated that with technology and efficiencies from high volume that it could still be viable with $35 bbl oil in a couple years.

The main problem is it will take billions in investment and 4-5 years to get a plant with enough production capacity up and running. You know the oil industry isn't going to pony up the money to make it's product obsolete. Lets hope King Coal comes through and gets the ball rolling. The demand it would take off oil would definately drive the price lower and that might just be enough to put some sense in this commodity and it's price.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Few weeks ago the price per barrel went down, the price at the pump didn't move, a few days later the price per barrel went up, the price at the pump went up 5 cents.

It's up 10 cents in the last week here. Britain is pulling troops out of Iraq price per barrel goes up... We are sending more troops to Iraq the price per barrel is going up. Anna Nicole Smith dies the price goes up.

Not to worry though........ we are going Methanol !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Problem solved!!! After the gas problem is SOLVED wooohooooooooo >>>

One dozen ears of corn........ $20.00

Go to a Friday night football game..... a cup of chicken CORN soup... $ 8.00
OH, going to the movies? Large Pop CORN .......... $15.00
Jolly Time PopCORN at the store....... $10.00 a bag.

Seriously....... Iran is threatening in the Gulf..... they are firing "test" rockets into international shipping waters.... 40% of the worlds oil flow goes through there....... LOOK OUT.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Price is now up 25 cents in 10 days.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 11:48 AM

Unfortunately all the conservation we do in this country will be negated by increased demand by China- - -and wait until all of those people start getting cars as well- - we need alternative fuels and sources of fuel asap.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

^ yep. Except we really haven't done squat since the first OPEC embargo in 1972 or 1973. Meanwhile, Brazil stepped up their domestic drilling activities and developed sugar cane based biofuels -- so they're now completely energy independent.

Seems to me that between the lobbyists, corporate donations and political favors -- the United States simply can't make a decision for the good of its citizens anymore and execute. Brazil can. We can't. And we think we can look down our noses at Brazil and refer to it as a "third world" country.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 08:18 PM

I'm going to fill up my 500 gallon tank this week. Maybe I can hedge the market myself.. course if I do that, gas will go down... you can thank me later
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_a_betterperson View Post
^ yep. Except we really haven't done squat since the first OPEC embargo in 1972 or 1973. Meanwhile, Brazil stepped up their domestic drilling activities and developed sugar cane based biofuels -- so they're now completely energy independent.

Seems to me that between the lobbyists, corporate donations and political favors -- the United States simply can't make a decision for the good of its citizens anymore and execute. Brazil can. We can't. And we think we can look down our noses at Brazil and refer to it as a "third world" country.
fuel in brazil is far more expensive as it is here. about 4 dollars a gallon or so. even for the alcohol and propane. i was just there the end of january but they have a better energy program i feel than the states
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in