Great Info For Any XBOX Gamers - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Great Info For Any XBOX Gamers

http://xbox360.ign.com
GumbyGoat is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 11:25 AM
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,473
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm gonna be at E3 to see it in person!
Groucho is offline  
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 11:54 AM
 
b_a_betterperson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Regarding the next Xbox, it's your typical Microsoft vaporware. There isn't anything CLOSE to a working prototype yet. All the demos are being done using Apple Macintosh hardware -- but Gates and Ballmer conveniently forget to point that out. MSFT loses $1.5 billon a year on the Xbox. Expect it to continue. PS3 will rock.

Last edited by b_a_betterperson; 05-13-2005 at 12:30 PM.
b_a_betterperson is offline  
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 12:17 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_a_betterperson
Typical Microsoft vaporware. There isn't anything CLOSE to a working prototype yet. All the demos are being done using Apple Macintosh hardware -- but Gates and Ballmer conveniently forget to point that out. MSFT loses $1.5 billon a year on the Xbox. Expect it to continue. PS3 will rock.
This is why I have a PS2 and an Xbox w/ surround sound and a 36" T.V. in my "game room",(it's actually a bedroom with this and two chairs and a couch in it )! I love them both, and plus I'm a badass at Halo 1 and 2....
GTODEALER is offline  
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTODEALER
This is why I have a PS2 and an Xbox w/ surround sound and a 36" T.V. in my "game room",(it's actually a bedroom with this and two chairs and a couch in it )! I love them both, and plus I'm a badass at Halo 1 and 2....
Have you picked up Forza Motorsport yet? Cool game.
GumbyGoat is offline  
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 08:12 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,473
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GumbyGoat
Have you picked up Forza Motorsport yet? Cool game.
Yes, it is.





:-)
Groucho is offline  
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 11:08 AM
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_a_betterperson
Regarding the next Xbox, it's your typical Microsoft vaporware. There isn't anything CLOSE to a working prototype yet. All the demos are being done using Apple Macintosh hardware -- but Gates and Ballmer conveniently forget to point that out. MSFT loses $1.5 billon a year on the Xbox. Expect it to continue. PS3 will rock.
$1.5 Billion/Year?

I honestly don't think so; both Microsoft & Sony lose about $125/unit as is always the case to move product in the industry but software is biggest cashcow ever. You're talking about something that might cost $5 after R&D, Labor, Materials, etc but is selling for $50. Remember one unit, but most of us have multiple titles - I myself have 23 XBOX games. How can you conceivable think they are losing that much money?
sboylan is offline  
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 12:45 PM
 
b_a_betterperson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How can I conceive that figure? Oh, I don't know. Maybe because my wife was one of the first employees to join Sony Computer Entertainment of America, for starters. The figure has also been published in the media and noted by analysts. Some say it's cumulative. Some say it's annual. From what I see, it's annual. Trust me, there's a reason why that stock has been flat for the better part of five years -- even with cash dispersals in the form of dividends. There's also a reason why the head of their gaming division quit a couple of years ago -- because he knew the Xbox is a dead hippo rotting in the sun.

Everybody knows that Microsoft and Sony lose money on their hardware in order to drive software sales. However, your counterargument about the profitability of software sales is a gross oversimplification. They get a royalty on each piece of software sold -- a far different situation than pocketing all the revenue from a retail sale. Do you have any clue as to what the top selling games are? Vast majority still PS2. Yes, Xbox has one or two legitimate hits -- but they're still barely ahead of Nintendo. And the only reason Xbox gained market share over the holidays was because a parts shortage kept Sony from producing as many PS2s as people wanted. So they settled for an Xbox.

Microsoft, because the only thing they've ever been successful at is being a computer operating system and application software monopoly that got big by pushing computer geeks around, really knows how to flush money down the crapper. Hired a ton of people early on to develop titles on its own. Had dozens of people with six figure salaries wondering around office space in Seattle doing nothing for months because they staffed up so fast. Went nowhere for years before pulling the plug. Oops. Blew a fortune trying to drive online gaming through the Xbox. Anybody you know do it? And now the Xbox360 vaporware launch. That MTV launch special? You're looking at $40-50M right there. For what? To show off a styrofoam dummy with a green light bulb in it -- and games being played on a Mac. Preston Tucker would be proud.

In fact, the losses may get worse as Microsoft is now throwing gigantic money at developers, such as the Japanese guy who developed the Final Fantasy series, to get product exclusives. Typical Microsoft. When you can't compete with a better product -- bury the competition by throwing tons of money at it. Can't wait. With some of the deals they've signed, a title will have to sell 100 million units before they can break even. Good luck.

Signed,
Steve Bartman

Last edited by b_a_betterperson; 05-14-2005 at 01:00 PM.
b_a_betterperson is offline  
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 01:05 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_a_betterperson
How can I conceive that figure? Oh, I don't know. Maybe because my wife was one of the first employees to join PlayStation over 10 years ago, for starters.
It would be a waste of my time to engage in rhetoric with you as obviously there is a biased opinion. That, and I generally agree with 90% of what you say so there is no sense in burning a bridge, with that said enjoy your weekend.

Signed,

Shaquille O'Neal
sboylan is offline  
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 09:51 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't picked up Forza Motorsports yet, but I am installing a custom surround sound system in my "game" room this weekend ! I'll have something cool to try it out on!
GTODEALER is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome