GTO Screwed Again - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
GTO Screwed Again

This time in the August issue of Road & Track. Their cover article features something called "Fun Factor: 12 Cars Guaranteed to Bring Miles of Smiles."

This list, if you can believe it, includes the Scion xB, but not the 2005 GTO. Of course, the goofy Mustang GT is in there.

Here's my letter to the editor:

Dear Editor:

Just got your August 2005 issue.

Any magazine that publishes a list of fun cars that includes the Scion xB and fails to include the 400hp 2005 Pontiac GTO isn't worth my time. As a result, this issue went straight to the recycling bin unopened -- where it belongs.

Nice job.

Signed,
MPO

No wonder Bob Lutz hates every member of the press. What a bunch of losers.

Last edited by b_a_betterperson; 07-11-2005 at 06:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 05:25 PM

I guess they like slower more expensive cars with solid rear axles.

Sheep.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 05:46 PM

That is pretty lame that it wasn't on that list. FWIW, the xB is a ton of fun to drive.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 10:17 PM

If you haven't heard, my uncle worked for Ford for about 14 years... Ford has a secret reputation of being known to "generously donate" money to major magazines and online review sites.

It's so awesome that the Mustang is such a great car on it's own merits alone that it can make it into ANY "Top Car Ever Made" article!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, thought as much. Didn't think it was under the table, though. Thought Ford had a bigger ad budget for low rent Mustangs than GM did for GTOs.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 07:25 AM

Here's my take on most, if not all, magazine reviews. In the early seventies, around '74 I beleive, one of the consumer mags did an article about the Monte Carlo. They didn't like it. Two months later however, they did like the Buick Regal. Which we know is the same car.

So phuck'em where the sun don't shine.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_a_betterperson
Yeah, thought as much. Didn't think it was under the table, though. Thought Ford had a bigger ad budget for low rent Mustangs than GM did for GTOs.
Ford does have a MUCH larger ad budget for the Mustang than GM does for the GTO, because Ford is extremely worried about people's attention being shifted on to the GTO and thus everyone forgets about the Mustangs and buys goats. Now of course the easiest way for them to combat this is to flood the automotive advertising market with Mustang promotions. That is why when the 05 "retro" mustang first came out we would see a commercial advertising it ever 5 freakin seconds. Anyone remember this past years superbowl? How just about twice every commercial break we would see the commercial advertising the 05 mustang convertable? They of course do the same thing with magazine ads and billboards and such.

They do also however donate money "for no particular reason" to the major magazines out there like AutoTrend and MotorWeekly. I can't think of the last time I have heard one of these major mags say the GTO is better overall than the Mustang GT - er wait a second yes I can.... never...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 01:43 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to EEZ GOAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_a_betterperson
This time in the August issue of Road & Track. Their cover article features something called "Fun Factor: 12 Cars Guaranteed to Bring Miles of Smiles."

This list, if you can believe it, includes the Scion xB, but not the 2005 GTO. Of course, the goofy Mustang GT is in there.

Here's my letter to the editor:

Dear Editor:

Just got your August 2005 issue.

Any magazine that publishes a list of fun cars that includes the Scion xB and fails to include the 400hp 2005 Pontiac GTO isn't worth my time. As a result, this issue went straight to the recycling bin unopened -- where it belongs.

Nice job.

Signed,
MPO

No wonder Bob Lutz hates every member of the press. What a bunch of losers.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 12:16 PM

I hate to be weird here but I don't want a car that EVERYONE has... like the MustStink... Mines faster and funner thats all I need
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 01:46 PM

Yeah it's just that it gets annoying with every magazine and such saying the Mustang is the Ark of the Covenant. Then more so that every little ricer in the world think the Mustang is the best car ever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in