gtos / vietnam war - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
gtos / vietnam war

gto production pretty much paralleled the Vietnam war in years. many young gto owners left their homes, families, girlfriends, and gtos to serve in that terrible war. many of them never returned to fire up that car sitting in the garage. your gto could be one that lost its owner. if you take her out for a ride this weekend, when your going through the gears remember those lives lost in that war. their spirit still lives in the roar of your motor. if they could, they would thank us for being the keepers of these precious machines. rickm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 11:45 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Amen to that, Sir.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
A friend of mine purchased a 1969 GTO from the I believe mother of a Viet Nam War soldier who never made it back. The car sat awaiting the return of its owner which never happened. My buddy purchased it maybe 5 years ago.

He restored the car not touching the inside. It's all matching numbers. The inside was in good shape. He took great pride in the restoration process and even left the parking sticker on the windshield of the army base that soldier deployed from. He did this as a tribute to him.

A column shift car, with a black vinyl top, he finished the car just last year. He took it to the All GM Nationals in Carlisle, PA its first time out ot won best motor of show and took first in the class. Every show he takes it, he brings home awards.

The parking sticker is above the rear view mirror. I believe it was fort Benning Georgia. Mine was beside his in the showfield.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030545.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	716.8 KB
ID:	21586 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030525.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	686.9 KB
ID:	21594

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040222.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	670.2 KB
ID:	21602 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040239.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	648.9 KB
ID:	21610

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

Last edited by GTO JUDGE; 05-27-2013 at 08:18 AM.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
The Tempest carried several military parking passes on the bumpers when i got it including one for the Pentagon. Hats off and a heartfelt thanks to those that served.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO JUDGE View Post
A friend of mine purchased a 1969 GTO from the I believe mother of a Viet Nam War soldier who never made it back. The car sat awaiting the return of its owner which never happened. My buddy purchased it maybe 5 years ago.

He restored the car not touching the inside. It's all matching numbers. The inside was in good shape. He took great pride in the restoration process and even left the parking sticker on the windshield of the army base that soldier deployed from. He did this as a tribute to him.

A column shift car, with a black vinyl top, he finished the car just last year. He took it to the All GM Nationals in Carlisle, PA its first time out ot won best motor of show and took first in the class. Every show he takes it, he brings home awards.

The parking sticker is above the rear view mirror. Mine was beside his in the showfield.

Attachment 21586 Attachment 21594

Attachment 21602 Attachment 21610
I remember seeing this car there and hearing the story the owner told.

67 Post Coupe,
69 RA III Judge
06 BOM, M6, 18's
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SANDU002 View Post
I remember seeing this car there and hearing the story the owner told.
Nice story on it. Vince is meticulous on getting things right. He wanted to honor this man's sacrifice. When he talks of the car, he talks of the guy and how he acquired the car, not the car itself or what he did to it. Vince painted my motor, cleared many parts and powder-coated others. Helped put it together using all factory colors and using GTOAA concours pictures to get it looking 100% correct. He's a good friend.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm View Post
gto production pretty much paralleled the Vietnam war in years. many young gto owners left their homes, families, girlfriends, and gtos to serve in that terrible war. many of them never returned to fire up that car sitting in the garage. your gto could be one that lost its owner. if you take her out for a ride this weekend, when your going through the gears remember those lives lost in that war. their spirit still lives in the roar of your motor. if they could, they would thank us for being the keepers of these precious machines. rickm.
That's what we should be thinking of today..........

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 01:10 PM

Hey All,
A MSG that I deployed to Iraq with, came home from Vietnam in the spring of 71. He ordered a 71 GTO, brown with a tan interior, 400/4 speed. He said that till I got mine, he had not thought of it in years. I am sure there were 1000's of GTO's ordered by young soldiers coming home from that damn place.
God Bless them all,
Marc

Marc
US Army Ret
MSG
OIF Feb 04-Jan 05
1970 GTO 455 HO
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 04:36 PM

Garage
I have 4 deployments to Iraq, 1 to Afghanistan, 2 to Kosovo, 1 to Bosnia, 1 to Haiti (1994), Panama...pretty much everyplace you could be shot at since i joined in 1993.

Recently, I just returned from 6 months in Jordan where I served as an advisor along the Syrian border and bought the Goat I always wanted. So even today, young men are returning from war and buying 1965 GTO's. Pretty cool.

"My Little GTO, really lookin fine. 4 barrel and a 4 speed, and a 389."
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 10:17 AM

U.S. Army 1974 - 1977 Ft. Benning I bought a 1968 G.T.O. it was badged 6.7 litre inside and out, I cannot find anything about this motor. I sold the car in 1977 because I broke my back but have always wondered about this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in