Happy Birthday Marines and Happy Veterans Day! - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Happy Birthday Marines and Happy Veterans Day!

I just wanted to tell all my fellow marines on the site happy birthday.

For those of you who don't know, every marine past and present, has TWO birthdays...his actual BIRTH day and the birthday of the Marine Corps (November 10, 1775).

And since tomorrow is veterans day, I'd like to thank everyone who served in the armed forces. Without you, I may not have the ability to write on here whenever I please...saying whatever I please (no matter how silly it may be). The words "thank you" just don't seem to do justice to the level of thanks that we owe our veterans. My father served in Vietnam, my grandfather in WW2, my great grandfather in WW1, so I guess this is pretty much in my blood. I was fortunate not to have to go to war in my time in the USMC, but there were many who did and did not return home and to those, we owe our deepest gratitude.

Tomorrow is one day where it doesn't matter what we think of the current war, we should all come together and thank veterans of EVERY war AND the ones who served in peacetime...because without them, there may be no GTOs, or GTO Forum, or United States of America for us today.

So thank you to all who served.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 06:01 PM

My thoughts exactly, even if they did originate from a
former Jarhead! Let us remember all of those who have served
and especially those that have given the ultimate sacrifice in
defense of our freedoms and way of life, and this great nation.

Hey Baron, check this link out...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15653208/?GT1=8717
I think it's a great idea. I saw them do this same think in
England. Wear them...They are authorized! I recently
reviewed the Navy and Marine Corps Regs on wearing of
medals and ribbons in civilian clothes.

1 of 370 Black Metallic/Red/Manual/18"
80U 756 MN6 N87
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPO's GTO View Post
My thoughts exactly, even if they did originate from a
former Jarhead! Let us remember all of those who have served
and especially those that have given the ultimate sacrifice in
defense of our freedoms and way of life, and this great nation.

Hey Baron, check this link out...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15653208/?GT1=8717
I think it's a great idea. I saw them do this same think in
England. Wear them...They are authorized! I recently
reviewed the Navy and Marine Corps Regs on wearing of
medals and ribbons in civilian clothes.
That is an excellent idea. I'd love to see something like that happen here. It would let everyone know just how many people they come across in their average day-to-day life were soldiers at some point. I'd do it, but I doubt I'll be going anywhere tomorrow. haha. Hopefully this gets started while many of the WW2 men/women are still alive though, I always love to hear their stories. Almost all of the men of my grandfather's generation served in the military, or it seems that way around here anyway, I'm from a small town. My grandfather was in the group which crossed the Rhine into Germany toward the end of the war, the many-mile long "train" of American Soldiers.
Anyway, if I go anywhere tomorrow, I will put 'em on.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 07:21 PM

I just missed Vietnam by a few months....did volunteer in 1975....24 years later I retired from the US Army and currently teaching ROTC in a middle school (8th graders).

Thanks for the kind words. Although I experienced alot of family separation, endless training, sleepless nights, cold azz weather, hot azz weather, many miles running, countless push-ups, learning different languages and cultures, losing friends to the ultimate sacrifice, being shot at, and zeroing in on the enemy............I wouldn't change it for the world. We live in a free society, and it's sad to say that too many people take it for granted.

So, again....thank you.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron_iv View Post
I just wanted to tell all my fellow marines on the site happy birthday.

For those of you who don't know, every marine past and present, has TWO birthdays...his actual BIRTH day and the birthday of the Marine Corps (November 10, 1775).

And since tomorrow is veterans day, I'd like to thank everyone who served in the armed forces. Without you, I may not have the ability to write on here whenever I please...saying whatever I please (no matter how silly it may be). The words "thank you" just don't seem to do justice to the level of thanks that we owe our veterans. My father served in Vietnam, my grandfather in WW2, my great grandfather in WW1, so I guess this is pretty much in my blood. I was fortunate not to have to go to war in my time in the USMC, but there were many who did and did not return home and to those, we owe our deepest gratitude.

Tomorrow is one day where it doesn't matter what we think of the current war, we should all come together and thank veterans of EVERY war AND the ones who served in peacetime...because without them, there may be no GTOs, or GTO Forum, or United States of America for us today.

So thank you to all who served.

thanx to all those who are brave enough and willing to sacrifice even thier own lives so we can live ours freely. it is because of them we can have what mostly amounts to our silly little arguments and differences of opinions. all honor and thanx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in