LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
help me figure this out guys

hey guys,
ok got a few questions for you
im 17, got a part time job right now 8$ an hour, about 30 hours a week. ill go full time when i graduate in may and go do a little bit of college when it starts back (full scholorship). i have a 1987 blazer at the moment and i pay a little moe than 200 a month in insurance. every other bit of money i get is put in the bank and saved.
now heres my question, im going to get a new ride around september. my parents will help me out a little bit too. what i need to know is how bad is my insurance going to be if i get say a 4th gen camaro or a gto or cars like that? im working my ass off to get a gto but if the payments and insurance are going to be to much which im pretty sure they will be, what else do you guys sugest? im wanting rwd v8 preferably, but what about the ss cobalts and new monte carlos ss with the v8? just if you guys can give me some ideas id be really greatful.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6lkl6l View Post
hey guys,
ok got a few questions for you
im 17, got a part time job right now 8$ an hour, about 30 hours a week. ill go full time when i graduate in may and go do a little bit of college when it starts back (full scholorship). i have a 1987 blazer at the moment and i pay a little moe than 200 a month in insurance. every other bit of money i get is put in the bank and saved.
now heres my question, im going to get a new ride around september. my parents will help me out a little bit too. what i need to know is how bad is my insurance going to be if i get say a 4th gen camaro or a gto or cars like that? im working my ass off to get a gto but if the payments and insurance are going to be to much which im pretty sure they will be, what else do you guys sugest? im wanting rwd v8 preferably, but what about the ss cobalts and new monte carlos ss with the v8? just if you guys can give me some ideas id be really greatful.
thanks

This is the toughest pill to swallow. Don't waste your money on a car till you are out of college. If I were you I would buy a 2-3 year old Cavalier, Sunfire, Corolla, ETC.... Don't get the sport model either, get one that was owned by grandma. 4 years from now your insurance will be much lower. Instead of having the cool car you will have money to do cool things. You will enjoy being able to do more things than you will having a car but not being able to afford the other things you want.

Seriously, by saving your money now you will come out of college and be able to buy a nice car and have a decent downpayment instead of having a car that depreciated faster than you paid it off.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

i see your point but, i wont have to pay for anything that has to do with college, ill even have free dorm lol by the time im out of college ill have a REALLY good job and ill be able to buy a real nice ride.
im not saying i got plenty of money but i got a pretty decnt job, and cars are the things i enjoy. i just waqnt a cool car that i can mess around with on my free time, that will be afordable to me with my current job.
i pretty much know that i want get what i really want right now cause of insurance but i was just curious to see what the ballpark figure will be.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 09:28 PM

Seriously man, Fergy is right. It is a BAD idea. 1-You will not be able to aford it. 2- It has WAY to much power for a 17 year old, no matter how "good" of a driver you think you are. 3- If you are interested in getting a car as a hobbie, get a cheap four banger and tune it up, while you pay for things that will finance your super cars in the future. Farrari, Lambo, Bugati, Z06... you know.
Sounds like you have good taste though. Just wait.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

well iv kinda figured im not gonna get a gto or anything but how bout the cobalt?
good gas milege, not really expensive, kinda cool, i wont get a brand new one probly 05 or 06. the damn wing will have to go tho.
and ill probly be getting toward the end of the year which ill be 18 by then....not that that makes any difference to what you were talking about with the to much power lol but im just sayin.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6lkl6l View Post
well iv kinda figured im not gonna get a gto or anything but how bout the cobalt?
good gas milege, not really expensive, kinda cool, i wont get a brand new one probly 05 or 06. the damn wing will have to go tho.
and ill probly be getting toward the end of the year which ill be 18 by then....not that that makes any difference to what you were talking about with the to much power lol but im just sayin.

I test drove a Cobalt SS and the GTO the same day. Deffinitly sounds like what you need.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

ok im gonna throw the camaro and gto dream out the window for now.
now that i think about it the cobalt sounds like it will work for me the best at this point in my life.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Dannis View Post
Here's what it's like for someone who had the same idea as you and is working for his stuff...

Hey kiddo, I went down the same road as you... Despite the fact I love my car, I wish I wasn't tied down already. Sometimes I feel like I'm missing out on some things in life Just workin and going to college, barely have enough time for the girlfriend (God bless her heart!), let alone other activities. What is free time?? I feel your gratification and good will to show everyone you can do this. Yeah it's cool to be kewl, but on the other hand who is cooler in the end? -A person with a life full of memories to remember and a sweet car later, or just a person with a car... If you must, go with an older, cheaper sports car, but it's your choice in the end. Utilize this advice as you please. Remember, you really are entering the best times of your life! Whatever road you choose, Best Wishes!

Dan
i was thinkin about that too, im not really in a serious relationship at the moment but i do want one eventually and i wouldnt want to do that to her. so im gonna stay away from the sports car for now, and hopefully get an earlier cheaper year ss colbolt. payments shouldnt be bad and the insuance better not be for a four banger.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 10:13 PM

To be honest I have my "Dream car" in the garage. But what I realy want want is a ford festiva to rally around town in, listening to jitterbug through blown out speakers.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 10:14 PM

no... Im serious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in