Here's a good one... - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's a good one...

I've had my new GTO for a month. Always parked in the garage...always clean and detailed. I moved it into the street so the kids can shoot a few hoops in the driveway. Within minutes, a neighbor kid--riding a two-wheel bike for the first time ever--weebles and wobbles and uses my GTO to break his fall, as the handle bar creates a beautiful reminder of the incident along the entire side of my vehicle. AARRGGHHHHH. Off to the body/paint shop to assess the damage. Oh, like have time for this too. Did I say, "AAARRGGHHH!".

2006 IBM/Blue, m6, 18's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioboy
I've had my new GTO for a month. Always parked in the garage...always clean and detailed. I moved it into the street so the kids can shoot a few hoops in the driveway. Within minutes, a neighbor kid--riding a two-wheel bike for the first time ever--weebles and wobbles and uses my GTO to break his fall, as the handle bar creates a beautiful reminder of the incident along the entire side of my vehicle. AARRGGHHHHH. Off to the body/paint shop to assess the damage. Oh, like have time for this too. Did I say, "AAARRGGHHH!".
Bummer man! Was it just clear coat damage? His parents might have
enough honor and dignity to take care of it for you...Maybe?

1 of 370 Black Metallic/Red/Manual/18"
80U 756 MN6 N87
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPO's GTO
Bummer man! Was it just clear coat damage? His parents might have
enough honor and dignity to take care of it for you...Maybe?
Yeah, the parents were cool and offered to take care of it. We'll see. Could be $$$$$$ since the scratches went through the clearcoat and into the paint. I filled it in with some glaze & wax, but you can still see it and feel it with your fingernail. It'll require some surgery to fix it properly.

2006 IBM/Blue, m6, 18's.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 12:15 AM

OUCH I feel your Pain!!!!!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 02:08 AM

Question: How much does the kid value the paint job on his new bike??
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAggie
Question: How much does the kid value the paint job on his new bike??
Another question: How much does this kid value his bike?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE:

The panels will have to be repainted in order to restore the car to original condition. Estimates ranged from $860 at the dealer, to $1200 at very reputable high-end shop that I KNOW does fantastic work. They do tons of luxury brands and exotics.

Now, the interesting part: When I asked my sales rep for his opinion on the quality of the paint jobs coming out of his own dealership, he did not exactly give a ringing endorsement. He said the work he has seen appeared to be "satisfactory", and acceptable for most customers, but he steered me elsewhere (knowing I'm a car fanatic and want a first rate job).

The shop providing the higher estimate includes more labor time for the removal of trim, glass, & panels for painting, while the dealer shop's estimate did not account for this, intending to tape off what really should be removed.

Would you really be able to tell the difference? Has anyone here had more than "satisfactory" results with dealer repaint on their GTO???

2006 IBM/Blue, m6, 18's.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 03:44 PM

Quote:
UPDATE:

The panels will have to be repainted in order to restore the car to original condition. Estimates ranged from $860 at the dealer, to $1200 at very reputable high-end shop that I KNOW does fantastic work. They do tons of luxury brands and exotics.

Now, the interesting part: When I asked my sales rep for his opinion on the quality of the paint jobs coming out of his own dealership, he did not exactly give a ringing endorsement. He said the work he has seen appeared to be "satisfactory", and acceptable for most customers, but he steered me elsewhere (knowing I'm a car fanatic and want a first rate job).

The shop providing the higher estimate includes more labor time for the removal of trim, glass, & panels for painting, while the dealer shop's estimate did not account for this, intending to tape off what really should be removed.

Would you really be able to tell the difference? Has anyone here had more than "satisfactory" results with dealer repaint on their GTO???
Get it done right. They should have some type of insurance (homeowner's, maybe?) to cover it anyway.

2005 M6 Quicksilver/Black - All Stock

Tribulus terrestris

Goathead

Don't be fearful of dying.
Be fearful of not living.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 06:09 PM

Quote:
UPDATE:

Where are you located? For some reason, I'm thinking you're in Dallas. If so, Sewell has a guy that does amazing work. He mainly works their Cadillac store (next door to Pontiac). Totally pleased with the work he did on mine with 140 miles on it. If you're here, PM me and I'll get you his name.

Last edited by TexasAggie; 08-21-2006 at 10:30 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrabhartLSX
Another question: How much does this kid value his bike?

Touche.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in