How in the.... - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How in the....

hell you charge $47,000 for a new 2SS Camaro? GM are you kidding me?

I was at my local Stealership yesterday to schudule an appointment for my wifes car. Well after that I saw a bunch of Camaros on the lot. So the wife and I wanted to take a gander at them. Well after being bombarded by three salesman: Manager sucking up to me, a newbe and later a Camaro "expert". Seems to be a big shake up at that dealer or GM. But anyway looking at the almost loaded to the gills 2SS Camaro, I think the MSRP was $44k and dealer markup was $2.5k with some Xillen(sp) paint protection at $500, huh? Looking at some others(V8's) the price was around $40k.

Maybe one of you can set me stright but is this were the inflation should be? I had the window sticker for my 84 WS6 Trans Am and it was around $20,000 MSRP. My wife wants one but she may have to settle for a used one in a coulple years

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
The calculator I use for that only goes up to 2009...
http://www.measuringworth.com/calculators/ppowerus/#
Quote:
$41300.00 in the year 2009 has the same "purchase power" as $20000 in the year 1984.

2005 Pontaic GTO - CGM 6 Speed (My car)
2017 Chevrolet Colorado 2WT (My daily driver)
2010 Mercedes Benz C300 Sedan (Wife's car)
2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Humm, interesting.

I guess I'm use to seeing the 4th Gen F-bodys in the low $30k and also the GTO's in the $30k's. Those cars had little to no options available too.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 08:09 AM

I wouldn't even consider a 1SS, which seems to be 90% of the ones zipping around these parts. I gots to have me them 4 squirrely looking gauges below the radio that would probably get you killed if not drive off the road if you actually studied them too long. The cheapest 2SS I saw around here was 36 thousand, and that was with no racing stripes and standard 2SS rims. They do offer some wicked optional rims, (think it may of had a sunroof, not sure)but you're looking at like 4 or 5 grand, something ridiculous, for the option.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 08:25 AM

Local dealer to me, Kelly Cheverlot, is selling them at MSRP or even less. They offered me $10k trade in for my GTO over the winter for a 1SS but if I were to do it I would wait for year end so I can get 7%/72 months... plus I doubt I'll be buying a GM car anytime soon.

It is funny though that they mark cars up after we bailed them out... if anything, it should be customer appreciation and selling that at what they shoudl be. Online, they are priced all over the place. I've seen used ones cost more then new ones even.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyminpin View Post
I wouldn't even consider a 1SS, which seems to be 90% of the ones zipping around these parts. I gots to have me them 4 squirrely looking gauges below the radio that would probably get you killed if not drive off the road if you actually studied them too long. The cheapest 2SS I saw around here was 36 thousand, and that was with no racing stripes and standard 2SS rims. They do offer some wicked optional rims, (think it may of had a sunroof, not sure)but you're looking at like 4 or 5 grand, something ridiculous, for the option.
I just wish cars came more barebone. I don't want alot of stuff that comes standard on most cars. Some of it you can't get rid of and some you are going to chuck anyway because you want to do your own customization. I'll take a new Camaro with steel wheels, no stereo, ect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar View Post
It is funny though that they mark cars up after we bailed them out... if anything, it should be customer appreciation and selling that at what they shoudl be.

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 09:19 AM

there is a transformers edition in my city....think the only thing different about em is the badging (transformers logos).

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs489.ash2/76204_159280800779987_100000942030298_271206_19740  85_n.jpg1 of 1175
DRIVE FAST AND SWERVE A LOT
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 09:32 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar View Post
It is funny though that they mark cars up after we bailed them out... if anything, it should be customer appreciation and selling that at what they shoudl be.
That's Government Motors for ya.....

SOLD.....
462ci, 4spd
Performer Intake, Mild Cam
Pertronix Ignitor III
Accel Super Coil, Accel 8.8mm Wires
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 09:44 AM

I saw a yellow one (yeah, I know, Bumblee go figure) at the Birmingham stop of the Hot Rod Power Tour. Even went the extra mile to have Bumblebee airbrushed onto the underside of the hood, along with 4 naked chicks on the underside of the trunk airbrushed standing around a giant airbrushed autobot symbol with lipstick marks on its cheek. Don't know if this badging was something he did himself or if it actually came that way. All autobot sybols where you would normally see bowties. Even in the interior (steering wheel, etc.).
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM4life View Post
I just wish cars came more barebone. I don't want alot of stuff that comes standard on most cars. Some of it you can't get rid of and some you are going to chuck anyway because you want to do your own customization. I'll take a new Camaro with steel wheels, no stereo, ect.
I noticed that when I was looking and considering having one built. I wanted to have an orange one built, 1SS, and only wanted a few options from the 2SS(extra guages specifically and afew others that I can't even remember) but they couldn't have it built that way and buying the cluster separate was too much $$ for my tastes. Oh, and the V6 has an option for 18s that look like black steelies... cause that was something I wanted on the SS built(they could actually do that too!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in