I Need some Legal Advice about my GTO - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I Need some Legal Advice about my GTO

Last September I had my 04 GTO shipped from MA to Redline Motorsports in CO. Scot Hail was going to design and install a custom turbo kit along with heads, cam, fuel system, exhaust and all supporting hardware. He stated that it would take 4-6 weeks.
Well, three months into it, no work was started. I found out that Redline merged with Trail Ridge Customs and it would be a joint project. I guess it was about five months into it that the intercooler was installed and the hot parts fabbing began.
Fast forward to now. As of now, Redline is no more and Scot Hail left his partnership. From what I know, the car is now at his house where he said he would finish the project. He said it would be ready the 8th of July..he couldn't meet that so it was pushed back to the 29th. Once again he said it wasn't ready. At this point I've already paid him over 10,000 cash for the parts and labor. Now i'm paying 100 dollars for every flight that I have to have cancelled.
Here's the real kicker. I am an MP stationed in Korea. I bought the car two weeks before I deployed. My father has been working the deal from back home. I'm in over 12,000, plus the $614 a month for the car payment. I spent all of re-enlistment bonus for the project. I had to cancel my leave because I didn't have a car to drive.
My father has notified the CO police department and they are looking into it.
Scot Hail had cancelled his e-mail account and refuses to answer or return phone calls. At this point I'm beginning to seek legal advice.
I'm told that because the deal was dealt over the internet that it also falls under internet fraud. If i have to file a law suit to get my car and money back how should I go about doing it? And what compensation should I seek?

Thank you for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 11:32 AM

I know this is going to sound cliche, but probably the best thing to do would be for your father to take all of the proper documentation and schedule an initial consultation with a well-respected attorney in your home state. The American Bar Association's website links to the Martindale.com lawyer locator, through which you can search for an attorney by location and practice area. Most attorneys do not charge for initial consultations, so your father can at least get a feel for what type of case you might have.

Best of luck!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 04:21 PM

Don`t wait anylonger get the ball rolling as fast as you can.You`ve been on hold far to long as it is.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 06:48 PM

Also, I hope that you gave your father a power of attorney before you left. He won't be able to do anything with your car because it's in your name. So if you don't have that, then get one soon so that he can get the ball rolling so that you'll get your car back plus all of the money that you've spent trying to get it modified. So start on it ASAP. Good luck!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 07:59 AM

A nondurable power of attorney would allow your father to begin the legal process, but I would advise against signing such a document without first consulting an attorney in this matter as well. A Power of Attorney can be like handing someone a blank check to your entire life, so a specifically crafted one is highly favored. Your father may present the facts to an attorney without a signed PoA, but it would be the first logical step in any representation. After the initial consultation, I would think that the attorney could simply relay any legal advice to you over the telephone so that you could make decisions about and until the Power of Attorney is in place.

Again, this isn't legal advice...just casual input. Again, best of luck with this!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Update

First..Thank You for all the input.
My father does have a general power of attorney.
Yesterday we heard from Scot Hail. He said that he would have the kit complete by the 26th. He refuses to install the exhuast system, gauges, B&M shifter due to time restraints and the fact that we have hassled him to complete the project.
Also heard back from the Greely Police Department. The are visiting him at his place of employment to set up an appointment to inspect the car in person.
The officers there have been outstanding.. all of my respect and thanks to them.
Hopefully the car will be at least driveable for the 2,000 mile trip back home where the rest of the work will be completed..
Once again thank you
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow04gto
First..Thank You for all the input.
My father does have a general power of attorney.
Yesterday we heard from Scot Hail. He said that he would have the kit complete by the 26th. He refuses to install the exhuast system, gauges, B&M shifter due to time restraints and the fact that we have hassled him to complete the project.
Also heard back from the Greely Police Department. The are visiting him at his place of employment to set up an appointment to inspect the car in person.
The officers there have been outstanding.. all of my respect and thanks to them.
Hopefully the car will be at least driveable for the 2,000 mile trip back home where the rest of the work will be completed..
Once again thank you
I'd still consult a lawyer no matter what he says or does at this point. That sux man. I hope you get some justice.

I'd also like to take a minute to thank you for your service to our country. I certainly appreciate it.

Gerrry
(Camp Stanley, 2ID - '90-'91)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow04gto
He refuses to install the exhuast system, gauges, B&M shifter due to time restraints and the fact that we have hassled him to complete the project.
If that's the case, look at the contract you have with this idiot and, once you have the car, sue him in small claims court over this discrepancy. You paid for a complete package -- and he's flat stiffing you. The only reason you're OK with this is because he has already treated you so badly already.

And what are you going to do about a warranty? What if your car grenades somewhere in Iowa? The GM warranty isn't going to cover it. You need to get this guy to provide a certificate of professional liability insurance -- so you can sue his redneck ass in the event he does incompetent work.

As a friend, I'm telling you to please never allow yourself to get into this kind of situation again. You don't pay for parts and labor up front. No professional shop or fabricator requires it -- as they've got your car for a deposit. To do otherwise -- you're only asking for trouble.

Learn from this -- as military life is stressful enough -- and best of luck to you!

Last edited by b_a_betterperson; 08-17-2006 at 07:16 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 07:17 AM

Agreed with the above...definitely still consult an attorney on the issue. He is obligated to any work described in a written document, but I'm not sure I would hold him to it or pursue a breach of contract action. I'd be more in favor of the latter, however, as it sounds like he's got a bad taste in his mouth for some reason...and that may not translate to quality work on your car.

Either way, get what you paid for (satisfactory work) or get your money back (the cost of completion). Of all people and all careers, you armed forces guys work the hardest for your money. Don't let some jerk screw you out of any of it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in