I'm lucky to be here - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm lucky to be here

I needed to go to the post office this evening. I've been exercising and losing weight and getting myself into better shape.

I decided to ride my bike to get exercise. There are two routes to go there, both streets run parallel to each other, but one is the main road through town and the other is residential. It's 3 blocks over to the main road, rt 19, where the post office is.

I chose the residential road.

It has a 30 mph speed limit and I can hold 20-25 mph comfortably pedaling my bike. Visibility was clear. I had on a white shirt and brite blue shorts and I always ride with my blinking LED headlight on and my tailight on.

About a mile from my house I came to an intersection where there is cross traffic and there is almost never a car there. It has a stop sign but I don't.

As I got about 200 yards from the intersection and a yellow Mustang V6 pulled up to the stop sign to my left. I let off pedaling thinking this person was going to pull out and I didn't want it to be too close.

They didn't pull out and as I got close I realized they were looking in my direction. It was difficult to see them through the tinted windows, but they were definately looking at me and I assumed yeilding the right of way to me like they should have.

Just as I got to the intersection they pulled out rather quickly. It was then that I realized they had their phone up and to their right and the girl was writing a text message as she started to pull out. She wasn't looking at me at all. She didn't see me.

I locked up the brakes and yelled "HEY!!!" which made her look and see me. She jambed on her brakes.

We stopped with me needing to put my hand on her hood to keep from falling over because we were too close for me to put my foot down and balance and about half my bicycle in front of her car.

They need to make it a criminal offense to text and drive. They need it to carry a jail sentence just like drunk driving. Why are people so freaking stupid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 10:13 PM

Garage
Sorry to hear.
Could of faked a fall and had your way with the insurance company. JK.
Makes you want to really kick the crap out of people when they do things that stupid.

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 10:14 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You would think it would be a no brainer about texting and driving. Can't understand why people would even think about doing it. My wife and I are bikers(pedalers) too. I almost saw my wife get killed last year by a car while we were riding. For a split second I had a very sickening feeling.... Glad your ok Ferg...............

SOLD.....
462ci, 4spd
Performer Intake, Mild Cam
Pertronix Ignitor III
Accel Super Coil, Accel 8.8mm Wires
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 10:29 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Glad you're all right is right!!
My wife gets mad at me when I won't text her back when I'm driving, but I refuse!!!
Freakin call me okay?? But don't expect me to text while driving!~!~!~!!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68greengoat View Post
You would think it would be a no brainer about texting and driving. Can't understand why people would even think about doing it. My wife and I are bikers(pedalers) too. I almost saw my wife get killed last year by a car while we were riding. For a split second I had a very sickening feeling.... Glad your ok Ferg...............
I'm guilty of not wearing a helmet. It's way too hot here in Florida, but that is going to change after this. A low speed accident like this would have been without the helmet would have been bad. But I always wear bright clothes and have my lights on. My LED headlight is pretty darn bright, even in the daylight, and you should see the flashing pretty clear you'd think.

I love riding a bike (pedal) and not so much in the last decade, but in my teens and 20's probably rode 70,000 miles with only 2 spills that I can remember and never a close encounter with a vehicle. Since I started riding again I've had 3 close calls in less than a year.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
I am an avid bike rider. I ride for exercise and put A LOT of miles on my 24 sp. racing road bike. I am a proponent of bicycle helmets. In 1998 after installing a new rear rim, while going around a corner at about 20 mph it folded in half throwing me in an instant to the ground. I separated my R shoulder and went into shock. I was taken to a hospital via ambulance. I vividly recall my head bounding off the roadway 3 times on my left temple side. My helmet cracked but my brains stayed in place. Had I not had that helmet on well it could have been tragic.

I have had more near misses than I can count, people pulling out in front of me, people purposely cutting me off, and one time I raced down a guy that while on a back desolate road he deliberately brushed up against me as he passed me when he could have easily gone way around me. I got to his house and charged after him when he exited his car, his family came out and restrained me and threatened to call the cops ON ME for attempting to get physical. Meanwhile this guys wife came out and berated him.

I wear my head on a swivel while riding, every time I go out I encounter at least 1 SOB that for whatever reason challenges me. Texting and phone talking while driving are as bad as DUI's. Pennsylvania is dragging their feet on enacting a law to make it illegal to talk or text while driving.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 08:42 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I see all the same things riding the Harley, except your going alot faster. They just seem to look right through you and pull out. People need to wake up and give all biker's a break.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukee View Post
I see all the same things riding the Harley, except your going alot faster. They just seem to look right through you and pull out. People need to wake up and give all biker's a break.
A few days ago here in Lancaster 5 people riding 3 Harleys hit a Van. ALL were killed, 1 is still in critical condition. All according to the coroner were wearing helmets even though the helmets on some were missing on them.
Investigation continues. SOOOOOO friggin tragic.
LancasterOnline.com:News:Victims mourned; cause of deadly crash still unknown

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in