User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Interesting Article on Gas Prices

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...NGF9OID9N1.DTL

Click on the chart that displays refinery margins. Notice how the low point is in the two months right before last year's elections? And how they've done nothing but go straight up ever since?

Please free market simpletons, explain that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 05:21 PM

its called the Bush administration sticking it to the American public
aren't you used to it by now?
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_a_betterperson View Post
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...NGF9OID9N1.DTL

Click on the chart that displays refinery margins. Notice how the low point is in the two months right before last year's elections? And how they've done nothing but go straight up ever since?

Please free market simpletons, explain that.
Better look at that chart again........
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg2m8o View Post
Better look at that chart again........
It's not a perfect match, obviously, but definitely tracks as there was no reason for the dip whatsoever. And don't forget that price cuts supposedly take a few weeks to work their way to the retail pump -- meaning the absolute bottom of refining margins hit in early September.

Last edited by b_a_betterperson; 03-10-2007 at 01:59 PM.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 08:20 PM

I didn't pull it up, but it makes sense.

Even if Bush didn't manipulate the market, the fact is that Republicans are the oil companies friends. The oil companies know this very well.

It's also a fact that people are more likely to maintain the standard regime if they are happier. Low gas prices make people happy. High gas prices make them unhappy. The oil companies know this.

I doubt it even took a wink of the eye from the administration to get the oil companies to drop prices around the time of the election.

I hate oil companies. I wish someone would develop a car to run on water or piss, and we could tell them all (and the speculators) to fuc_ off.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 05:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Maybe the Democrats could write to Chavez and stroke his libido and perhaps he could give us the "poor people's" oil he is using to try and divide our country with.

This freakin spike of gas prices is like a heavy person on a yoyo diet....

You know... They start at a certain weight, loose a bunch then gain it back and then some, lose it, and gain it back and then some... Oil is the same way... Was low went way up, then lost some, then up again higher than before, lower then higher, then higher yet......The oil companies are like Jenny Craig

Bush is getting more arrogant. The closer it gets to the end of his reign on his "Kingdom," the more arrogant he seems to be getting. He's gods gift to the Oil companies.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 09:37 AM

Im no Bush fan, but this thread is demonstrating what a total lack of understanding of the oil markets there is in this world.

If you want to see really perverse margins, go look at Bank of America, Pfizer, American Express and the like. Hell, Uncle Sam makes more on gasoline (and your new GTO for that matter) than do the folks that make and sell it

Do we want price controls ala Nixon again? Hell no, that will lead to economic chaos like you young ens ain't never seen.

We as a nation are in an energy emergency. We have no policy other than, no nukes, no oil, no coal, no wood. Dont burn, and by God don't even think about fusion. Lets make hybrids and run our stuff on corn. This is not policy, it's lunacy and PC Groupthink, born out of a total lack of understanding of the fuel cycle and big picture. It makes me want to puke.

We have tons of oil and little capacity to effeciently refine it. Steady growth in demand (normal and healthy I might add) yet no new infrastructure to support growth. Result - demand outstrips supply, and off we go.

Put some greedy oil traders in the mix, add political unrest, and environmental whacko-ism to the equation and it amazes me that we even can still buy a gallon of unleaded at any price.

My soloution? Use the stuff as effeciently as you can, buy oil and energy stocks - Put pressure on your "representatives" in government to encourage private development of new domestic crude oil sources and refining capacity.

EOR
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 12:00 PM

Let me tell you about global warming..........
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg2m8o View Post
Im no Bush fan, but this thread is demonstrating what a total lack of understanding of the oil markets there is in this world.
If you're referring to me, then you're sadly mistaken.

First of all, we are NOT discussing the price of crude here. We are discussing refining margins. The integrated oil companies are stuffing us by boosting their margins. Expect another .30 to .40 a gallon increase within the next couple of weeks -- to record levels -- before the summer driving season -- for absolutely no other reason than the oil companies can get away with it. Because other industries have high margins do not justify what is happening to us. Besides, pharmaceutical costs do not drain the lifeblood out of the majority of Americans -- who live paycheck to paycheck -- and single handedly wreck the economy from retail to restaurant to being able to pay the mortgage.

Regarding the so-called lack of refining capacity, the integrated oil companies have closed over 50% of their refineries in the last 20 years. Go on Google and look it up. The Kansas City Star broke the story. Living in Bakersfield, you should know that -- as Shell wanted to close their facility there. As with other closures nationwide, other companies wanted to buy the property -- but until the press reported what was going on, Shell was hell bent on closing it. Finally, when word got out -- the family that owns Flying J stepped in and bought it. Unfortunately, that's not the case elsewhere -- where refinery after refinery has been closed and dismantled for no good reason.

Why did this happen? It's very simple. Oil companies used to pay the Arabs a $1 a barrel for oil and pocket the rest when it sold on the open market. When the Arabs eliminated that profit center for them -- all the refineries in the US started disappearing so supply could be restricted. The resulting bottleneck drove margins on finished product up.

Regarding alternative sources of energy -- just who do you think is responsible for maintaining the status quo? Bush is in Brazil talking about gaining access to their sugar cane based ethanol. One problem, there's a $55 a barrel tariff, introduced by a TEXAS senator no less, on it's importation.

I could go on and on -- but let me close by saying that I fully agree with what you're saying about how our domestic energy policy sucks -- and that our only recourse is to use less of the stuff. However, that still does not justify a projected $1.30 to $1.40 per gallon increase -- when the cost of the raw material has only gone up .30 a gallon -- plus .05 a gallon for the more expensive to produce summer blend.

Last edited by b_a_betterperson; 03-10-2007 at 02:24 PM.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 03:57 PM

I say we do a little "Boston Tea Party" type action against the oil companies and see if we can get their attention. (but not dump it in the water, I think fish preferred the taste of tea over oil)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in