I've Just Joined NASA - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've Just Joined NASA

..no, asshats, not the space beaurocrats, this NASA...

http://www.nasaproracing.com/

The Open Track, Time Trial, and HPDE events at awesome road courses like Willow Springs and Buttonwillow look like way too much fun. I mean, I only live ~40 minutes away from Buttonwillow!

I'm swearing off the 145 mph freeway banzai runs...there are too many Very Bad Things beyond your control that can happen on a freeway, and they just aren't condusive to 1.75 tons of metal and glass going well over twice the speed limit...

I still have a need for speed, and this will allow me to do it without stupidly taking a chance of having to be hosed off of the road...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 08:00 PM

Very cool...I'd love to get me a nice lil' beater or seomthing and join up...something I won't be afraid to damage a little. Good luck and keep the rubber side down.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 12:41 PM

Saw something on Discovery Channel about the effort to get the Shuttle back up.

In one scene, there was a woman figuring out how to mix goo the astronauts could use to make tile repairs in space. It wasn't going well. But what killed me was the fact there were 11, count 'em, E-L-E-V-E-N guys standing around fingering their yam sacks while this was going on.

Your tax dollars at work.

By the way, if NASA can't prevent stuff from falling off the tank and whacking the leading edge of the wing -- why not create guards that can be jettisoned like the spent SRBs once it's up?
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_a_betterperson
Saw something on Discovery Channel about the effort to get the Shuttle back up.

In one scene, there was a woman figuring out how to mix goo the astronauts could use to make tile repairs in space. It wasn't going well. But what killed me was the fact there were 11, count 'em, E-L-E-V-E-N guys standing around fingering their yam sacks while this was going on.

Your tax dollars at work.

By the way, if NASA can't prevent stuff from falling off the tank and whacking the leading edge of the wing -- why not create guards that can be jettisoned like the spent SRBs once it's up?
That's why my former employer always referred to them as NAySAy...so we built our own damned manned rocket.

As to why not guards for Shuttle LE surfaces...weight and complexity (mostly weight) spring to mind. Also, at the velocities that shuttle gets going, just about anything would be damaged / bent if hit by a chunk of foam or ice...

..but the question is why not deal with the possible problem in the the best way possible, and take some fecking chances? NAySAy is so risk-adverse that they've become paralyzed. It's sad, really.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 07:14 PM

Have fun out there. NASA isn't very active in the Midwest so the SCCA was the easy choice for me. When I get out to Seattle next year, I may join NASA to give me more flexibility of scheduling track events.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subdriver
Have fun out there. NASA isn't very active in the Midwest so the SCCA was the easy choice for me. When I get out to Seattle next year, I may join NASA to give me more flexibility of scheduling track events.

I think the frequency which they hold events is what drew me to NASA...the seem to have 8-10 events a year at Buttonwillow (45 min away) and Willow Springs (75 min away).

I may join SCCA as well...will have to see how much time I have to devote to this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in