Lawnmower reccomendations? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lawnmower reccomendations?

Guys I need to buy a lawnmower...I have ALOT of grass to cover but I don't think I wanna spend 1500 bucks or more for a ride on...This is my first house so I don't know anything about lawn care...any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlyon View Post
Guys I need to buy a lawnmower...I have ALOT of grass to cover but I don't think I wanna spend 1500 bucks or more for a ride on...This is my first house so I don't know anything about lawn care...any advice?
I know quite a bit on lawn care....

You say lawnmower.... I assume by ALOT of grass you have quite a bit to mow.. My recommendation is a rider but since you don't wanna spend 1500 on one... May I suggest a used rider? There are riding lawnmowers and there are lawn tractors. For your first house with lots of grass a used one may be found far less than 1500. You can find nice new walk behinds with 6.5 HP in the 4-500 range but that's a lot of walking....

I'd consider a used rider... You should be able to find them with various HP in the 800 on up range. Higher the HP the more umpf ya got. I'd look for HP in at least 9-10 HP for riders. If you look at used, look first at mower shops then keep an eye on the local newspapers.

As far as brands...... You'll get a hundred different recommendations.... Good ones in my opinion..... Riders and tractors... John Deere, Cub Cadet are up there... Walk behinds... Lawn Boy is up there, as is Cub Cadet, to name a couple. Some are 2 cycles they will blow some smoke and you'll stink of it afterwards...

Some places offer 12 month same as cash. Buy a tractor now pay it off a little at a time... You'll have a year to come up with the dough to pay it all off. You may want to consider that option as well.

John Deere has a line of Lawn tractors starting at like 1499. They generally offer 12 months same as cash... I'd check in to that... I am sure others offer the same deal.....

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 07:27 PM

Herd of Goats!
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 07:57 PM

You weren't specific about how much lawn you have or your age / physical condition. Also, you gave no indication of the slope of your lot. Level? Rock outcropping? Hillside?

Personally, I have never owned a rider or tractor. Too big too expensive, and I like the excercise. In fact, my current mower is the first I ever bought with propulsion.

My lots have always been between 0.5 and 1.0 acres. Subtract maybe a 1/4 of that for house, driveway, sidewalks, and landscaping and a 22" walk behind mower will cut a lawn like this in a couple of hours and it won't take up a lot of garage space.

5HP is enough but they seem to increase power every year and you can find a 6.5HP craftsman for $300-$400 that is self propelled. All of the small engine companies make decent small engines, Briggs, Koehler, & Honda. They will all last at least 5 years, probably 10 if well cared for. A Sears store is generally easy to find, they back it up with a service dept, and they're a pretty good value.

One other note, if your lot is sloped badly, a rider or tractor can be dangerous (tipping). Be careful when traversing a slope with a narrow wheebase / high center of gravity (you) vehicle.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 09:43 PM

My pops has a walk behind Honda that is self powered. I think I am going to go with that. My lawn is pretty big.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing_Nut View Post
Herd of Goats!
....Werd...we had a herd of goats on our post in Germany to "cut the grass"...they can eat....but you are left with ALOT of goat mess all over
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in