Looking at a new family member... - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looking at a new family member...

So Julie wants a cat. I want a dog. I think we found the perfect comprmise... a Savannah cat. They get to be arroudn 18" tall a the shoulder and a arround 20 pounds. They are very active, love water, play fetch, and go for walk on leashes.

We are meeting with a breeder on Saturday night to see them in person. I've never seen one since they are kinda exotic pets but we are looking at an F2 or F3 for about $2500 or so.

If anyone has had any experience with them, please post up.

The first 2 are pics of the one we are really looking at, its an F2, the others are random pics so you can see what they look like as adults and size
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	7824   Click image for larger version

Name:	b.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	7825   Click image for larger version

Name:	c.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	7826   Click image for larger version

Name:	d.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	7827  

Last edited by jpalamar; 06-25-2010 at 06:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 02:52 PM

That is cool... maybe I should get one of those next time around.

I have a big kitty too.
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 07:37 PM

Those cats are so cool, but I wonder if they borderline on being too feral (wild). I'd certainly not want one around the kids. I've heard the F4 and above are ones you can trust more. My wife and I love big cats, we have two purebred Maine Coons
post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

It is different with each state and even some cities on laws/permits required. I haven't really found that much about them being unsafe arround kids or other pets yet so I'm not too worried about that. There is always the risk with any animal that something will happen at the wrong time and they attack. Might be higher with these, but still not something I hear about all over the net so it seems very feasable to have them with no issues.
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 08:05 AM

I have plenty of Bobcats running around here.
I couldn't see myself spending that much money for something that could die or get killed.

post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

The price is def alot, but from what I've learned with alot of research on it, animal breeding is very expensive... especially when you get into the more exotic species. I would love to not spend this kinda money on an animal, but I think it is something that we will really enjoy owning so I guess the phrase 'gotta pay to play' comes to mind.

Plus... its cheaper then having a kid :-) (very lame arguement.)
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 09:33 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar View Post
The price is def alot, but from what I've learned with alot of research on it, animal breeding is very expensive... especially when you get into the more exotic species. I would love to not spend this kinda money on an animal, but I think it is something that we will really enjoy owning so I guess the phrase 'gotta pay to play' comes to mind.

Plus... its cheaper then having a kid :-) (very lame arguement.)
What? You gotta buy them a limo ride, dinner and a hotel room or what??
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 09:39 AM

A. I've never heard of these cats before.
B. We also have bobcats running around here in Alabama that get huge and will tear your face off and feed it to their kittens.
C. What do you mean F1, F2, F3, F4, F5. I'm thinking Fugita tornadoes here.
D. I paid about $350 for my AKC Miniature Pinscher who will be 12 on August 1st and is my best friend in the whole universe, but still, thought that was too much money.
E. If I pay $2500 for ANYTHING, it's gonna have better gas mileage then my goat and be reliable enough for a daily driver.
F. I wouldn't be thrilled with the idea of a cat I could ride to work being around children under the age of 16.
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukee View Post
What? You gotta buy them a limo ride, dinner and a hotel room or what??
They are breeding a wild cat with a domestic to get a hybrid... however, they don't have the same amount of chromozones so it is very difficult to breed. They also have a longer jestation period so you can breed fewer litters over time. Also, breeding out genetic traits takes alot of time. Ex. many of the Savannah breeds are a mix of a serval(pure 100% wild) with a bangle cat(domesticated but known for very distinguished wild looking spots). Bangles are known for having heart issues. If they can make successful kittens, they all come fixed, chiped, with all shots, offical docs(basically a family tree), and a heath guarentee that it will not have negative genetic traits or the breeder is responible for medical costs and/or replacing the animal.

Factor in a wild serval($10-20k) and a pure breed bangle with the health traits gone you are looking at alot of money right there alone. Then you gotta find ones that breed good together and if the litters have the traits that people want. Can be hit or miss. I've seen some that don't have the agreeive face and just look liek normal cats. Why wants to pay a crap load for a normal cat that is just big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyminpin View Post
A. I've never heard of these cats before.
Look them up on google. There are tons of info and youtube has some amazing videos
B. We also have bobcats running around here in Alabama that get huge and will tear your face off and feed it to their kittens.
C. What do you mean F1, F2, F3, F4, F5. I'm thinking Fugita tornadoes here.
It is how much % of wild serval they have. F1 being the most and biggest to F5 being the most % of domesticated cat and typically not too much bigger the house cats. From what I've found online, F2-F3 have the size and looks of the wild serval, but are also much better arround people. The more wild, the more expensive and more potential for special permits and not being able to live in certain states or cities.
D. I paid about $350 for my AKC Miniature Pinscher who will be 12 on August 1st and is my best friend in the whole universe, but still, thought that was too much money.
Animals can be the same as a kid, I grew up with cats so I know what you mean.
E. If I pay $2500 for ANYTHING, it's gonna have better gas mileage then my goat and be reliable enough for a daily driver.
The breeder we are going to see this weekend is actually giveing us a great deal on the F2 for only $1500 beucase the person that put a deposit down backed out and now the cat is about 6 months old. The breeder said once they get that old, people don't want them because they want a kitten. For that much money, I'll be more then happy with it, pendign it has the personality we want when we go see it.
F. I wouldn't be thrilled with the idea of a cat I could ride to work being around children under the age of 16.
They are perfectly safe. Many vidoes with kida and other animals including cats and dogs. I've actually found that the wild servals don't really attack, they are just really shy and not great as pets for that reason. They just wanna be left alone.
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 11:32 AM

I would rather have a Skunk, too bad they are illegal in Cali.

Last edited by GM4life; 06-25-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in