Love the BMW M-Coupe - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Love the BMW M-Coupe

As many of you know, I've been casting about for the replacement for my Monaro....pretty much narrowed the focus down to the Porsche Cayman S or BMW M-Coupe.

I love the Cayman S- see https://gtoforum.com/showthread.php?t=12425 for details.

Just test drove both the 330hp Z4 M-Roadster (meh) and Z4 M-Coupe (w00t!) yesterday.

During my brief test drives, I was reminded of just how much I missed my old E30 & E46 Bimmers. The M-Coupe is comfortable and fast as hell. That turbine-like I6, flick-of-the-wrist shift-lever, and zero dead-zone steering (damn I've missed that!) were more than enough to let me forget that a Bradley armored vehicle has a better rear view. The light control inputs were just epic. Surgical. And those brakes- my god. Those locomotive brakes. Sweet.

At the end of the day, the Porsche is a great car that is easy to drive fast and hard. The Z4Ms make you work for it, but are much more viscerally exciting- it's substantially edgier and definitely lacking the almost sterile refinement of the Cayman S. I'm sold on the M-Coupe.

Getting back in my Monaro was an excellent compare / contrast. Even after all the suspension work, it felt brutishly heavy & vague, the action on the GMM-equipped T56 transmission trucklike. And the cacophany of rattles and drivetrain clonks added to the...agricultural feeling.

Hopefully I'll be in a position to put the old girl down soon.

Last edited by Groucho; 04-07-2007 at 11:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 12:15 PM

Well you're comparing a $30K car to a $50K car. I hope to God that the $50K car is better in every way, shape and form. But at least no one hear is accusing you of bad taste, AND you'll prolly get better service from the dealers.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 05:36 PM

So I couldn't get a Z4M coupe but I drove a Z4M vert today. Oh man that is an impressive car. What I'm sold on is the 335i. Drove the new hard top vert that just came out. What a car. It won't take on a goat on the drag strip but looking at the whole car it was just gorgeous. I loved the feeling and everything about it.

Which E46 did you have before? I got one right now and have been trying to sell her, just hard cause she's a stick and nobody here can drive one.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenizlev View Post
So I couldn't get a Z4M coupe but I drove a Z4M vert today. Oh man that is an impressive car. What I'm sold on is the 335i. Drove the new hard top vert that just came out. What a car. It won't take on a goat on the drag strip but looking at the whole car it was just gorgeous. I loved the feeling and everything about it.

Which E46 did you have before? I got one right now and have been trying to sell her, just hard cause she's a stick and nobody here can drive one.
I had a 2000 323i sport-pack, fitted with polyurethanes all around and a UUC Short-shift kit. She was still tight as a drum and a blast to drive when I sold it with 176k miles on the clock.

I really missed that tight feeling with the Monaro. I almost did it via modding, but the car is just too damned heavy and not bolted together tightly enough....and that T56 transmission- phew.

Cool thing about this Z4MC...I can't think of any mods I'd need to throw at it, unless they were some yet-to-be-developed Dinan mods.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 07:50 PM

Maybe some new wheels, carbon fiber hood and boot. Could always play with the engine a bit. But man there was little I could think to do with it myself and I could think of tons to do to my E46.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 10:15 PM

I live in Bergan Co. NJ... and up here the Bimmers and Porche's are like pidgeon crap... ALL OVER THE PLACE!!!! I'm not sayin they're bad in any way, shape, or form... in fact, if it weren't for the fact that there are so many of them here, I would've bought an M3. Test drove it... loved it... saw 3 or 4 of 'em during the test drive... Around here, they just happen to be another "Me Too" car. I bought the Goat for several reasons... but I think, mostly because you might see 1 maybe 2 a week. For your replacement, knowing the amount of driving you do... I'd go for the BMW. It's a GREAT highway car! JMO
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 05:38 AM

Same where I live. I live in what is considered an upper-class town. (Wife's choice. I could care less) Mostly BMW's and Benzos. Enough to where i'm kinda turned off by them.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

Trust me- I work in LA, home of the Badge Poseur- especially with BMWs. I love the machines (I've owned two and have remained a member of the BMW CCA even while owning the Holden), hate the way most people drive them. BMW is making big money catering to the luxo segment...and I was deathly afraid they were losing their souls forever...until the Z4 M-Coupe was released.

Even here in the I've only seen a couple Z4 M-Coupes on the road, and for obvious reasons- this is a drivers car. With 330 hp, razor-sharp steering (gotta stay on this car) a stiff suspension and chassis, and a six-speed manual as the only drivetrain option, you'll not see many being driven around by the "hey lookit me" crowd - be sure.

They are also absolutely stunning in person. Gorgeous.

Last edited by Groucho; 04-10-2007 at 07:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in