modern high performance - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
modern high performance

i was on another forum and someone was complaining about a camswap netting them more valvetrain noise. i chimed in with in stock form i feel the engine makes a racket. of course in doing so i was put on the flame bench with the original poster. someone chimes in "modern high performance cars all make a racket" and some sited aluminum being the main reason for the noise etc etc. now with the research i have done about my car thanks to pearl jam and a few local shops i've more or less pinpointed my "valvetrain" noise which happen to be coming from the injectors. in prior experiences i have thought back upon i can say i did experience the same thing in a f-250 with a 351w. it was a cast iron block cast iron heads but had a tick that reminded everyone of a mechanical fuel pump. i wouldn't have called the f-250 a "modern high performance machine" but it was a strong puller. it was made much like the lsx engine with 8 injectors but with an aluminum intake and pedestal rockers. on a similarly built 302 i never heard the sound and various other fuel injected engines seemed pretty quiet. i have built a few aluminum headed motors without much noise as well although the nova was a noisy engine even with cast iron heads but what does one expect from solid tappets? another comment made was "why do people want a quiet high perf engine?" it's amazing how some people think. swift silent deadly just like force recon. i love to pull up to the light with someone who feels he has a fast car just because it is loud and bucking at the redlight just to leave them in a cloud of dust. the more one can here the more he can "spec out" what you have under the hood. ask any good mechanic or someone who knows engines. then there was another rude comment of i should have bought a honda. honestly if there was a honda i could fit into i probably would have but out of modern cars besides the 4 door old people mobiles the gto is the next size that i can fit into comfortably. anyway why is the common thought of "modern high performance machine" being noisy? and does it "have" to be? anyone got some cheese to go with my whine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 07:20 AM

I like the sound. The best part of my night is when I start my car up and go to work...the best part of the morning is when I start my car up to go home. I agree about the size thing too. I test drove an RX8 and was shocked at how cramped I felt. Not lentgh wise or hight but sideways. I am a tall skinny guy and I felt cramped sideways. I don't see how normal sized people would fit in that car. The pontiacs have been the only car I have ever been able to push the seat all the way back and it was too much. Imports I can't drive without my knees resting beside my cheeks
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 10:18 AM

Some things are a little noiser, especially with a plastic intake manifold, the air being sucked into the motor is alot more audible than on a motor with a big, thick cast iron intake. After I put headers on my car, it has a bit of a "click noise". Couldn't figure it out. Turns out the exhaust valves slamming shut can be heard better through header tubes than through a cast exhaust manifold. Someone on this forum tipped me off to that one.

Flamers piss me off. NOBODY IS A KNOW-IT-ALL. I work on cars for a living, every day. Yet I'm always learning. I'd venture it's the same for all of us.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 11:58 AM

Sound is all in the ears of the beholder. I saw this C5 Corvette the other day pull up next to me at the Shell gas station. It had a beautiful custum paint job with the giant vette emblem over the front of the hood fading into checkered flags as the hood met the windshield. Only problem was, when the dude pulled up (I'm assuming it was a cam the size of an H2) it was rattling and shaking and sputtering and vibrating so damn loud I thought a pack of Harleys pulled up beside me. To me, that was a total turn off, beautiful car, but my god man, that's a (relatively) new vette you're driving, not some hopped up IROC Z28 from back in the day. Just my .02.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 02:41 PM

There is no such thing as a "sleeper" moddern high performance vehicle. My turbo LS/Vtec Integra had Stage 2 Skunk2 Cams and that thing lopped like it was going to stall then hit 1K rpms, then back to normal idle for a few seconds. If you caught me at a red light it was a dead giveaway of having a cam swap.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 09:18 PM

I, myself am hooked on "caminess". I love the rock-shake-lope phenomenon at idle. I even like the sound of the double valve spring "noise". And the combustion sound that bleeds through the header tubes is another bit of music.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_Nick View Post
There is no such thing as a "sleeper" moddern high performance vehicle. My turbo LS/Vtec Integra had Stage 2 Skunk2 Cams and that thing lopped like it was going to stall then hit 1K rpms, then back to normal idle for a few seconds. If you caught me at a red light it was a dead giveaway of having a cam swap.
i agree any "cammed" motor is going to have a lumpy idle but in the same breath i would say that if you have heads that flow very well then there's no need for the "big cam". i love the point made here because it comes down to that "if you don't like it buy a honda" mentality. here's the obvious proof that even honda engineering can be made lopey my biggest whine overall is the "pseudo-solid tappet" sound. it would be akin to me putting the turbonator on my yugo and pretending i had something there. back in high school i was all into some solid tappet cams because the "tuner" could "customize" his ride with just a 9/16 wrench and some feeler gauges. now i'm all about keeping what i have under the hood quiet, keeping the tail end of the machine quiet, but making the car move like a severely scalded dog. personally i feel like modern hi-perf machine have no need to be noisy. we have reduced friction throughout the motor, SUPERIOR head design compared to anything from the 80s and back, excellent engine management that allows 10.9 to 1 on 89 octane, lighterweight alloys, more durable alloys, more efficient ways to produce power amongst other things. i guess there comes a point where some advantage will overcome another. maybe i am expecting too much for what we have available at our fingertips. i will say i am personally impressed with the power levels and fuel economy of the lsx engines but i'd be willing to take a hit in gas mileage for noise level though. as the engines become more efficient cars become heavier so there's a loss there. amazing how technology works
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 04:21 PM

Dude, you're completely right. We should be able to sup the hell out our cars and not have to listen to an aggressive cam lope, but I think any one of us could build a nice street/strip Goat that doesn't sound like a Pro-Mod Dragster (except at full throttle) . It just takes time and research.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in