Motor Trend Road Test - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Motor Trend Road Test

Motor Trend did a very neat road test last month. They tested the Mustang GT 5.0, versus the Camaro SS, versus the Challenger SRT8.

As expected the SRT8 was the slowest of the group. The Mustang dominated all the catagories. It ran a 12.7 1/4 mile at 111 mph which is only a half second and 4 mph behind the GT500. Since the GT is almost 300 lbs lighter, but 138 hp off, the results seem a bit off. I'd expect a bit less out of a real world Mustang. Still it dominated the handling and ride as well as the performance catagories untill you were over 120 mph where the Camaro finally catches it. I don't think the Challenger ever caught it in this test.

Then they did the V6 cars and added the Hyundai Genesis 3.8 track coupe. Another neat test although they should have had the Challenger RT, the V6 Challenger failed miserably and the performance numbers for the Mustang V6 would be close to the V8 Challenger.

The V6 Mustang with a $25,290 sticker price runs a 13.7 1/4 mile at 102 and change. That's Camaro Z28 with the LS1 territory. That beat the Camaro V6 by almost a full second. It didn't win the Comparo though. MT gave the nod to the Genesis. It was a better car on the street and at the road course, even though the Mustang was able to turn .96 G's cornering versus the Genesis at .94 g's.

Reality is that the V6 Mustang is a great performance value. 29 mpg highway, .96G's cornering and a 1/4 mile in the 13's and over 100 mph for $25,000. You know that in 6 months they are going to have $2,000 dollar rebates and a $1,000 dealer discount so you'll get all that performance for $22,000. I'm thinking my Son ata daily driver is going to be replaced with a Ford soon enough. An intake, headers and an exhaust and I'll be hunting for the SRT8's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 01:54 AM

The latest issue of Road and Track had the 5.0 vs. LS3 and V6 vs. V6 as well and had the same results. The 5.0 was a bit quicker then the LS3, and the V6 stang just crushed the V6 camaro.

They also did this test in Car and Driver but I believe they threw a Challenger RT in there as well. They said they wouldn't use the SRT8 because it was in a different price bracket then the 5.0 and LS3 and they considered the SRT line specialty vehicles like Ford's SVT line and said if a comparo would be done, it would be the GT500 vs the SRT8, LMAO, if that wouldn't be enough for a $43,000 Challenger owner to walk out into the front yard and blow his brains out I don't know what would.

Bottom line is, everybody says the new 5.0 is legit and the new thing to beat on the streets. Kind of makes you wonder if the LSA equipped Z28 will fare the same way against the GT500, only 16 hp difference... Unless the General steps up and drops the LS9 in it...

From subscribing to 5 different car mags, I knew the 5.0 was coming 2 years ago. Which is why last year I bought my heads/cam kit from Texas-Speed and then spent the whole next year buying up the rest of the accessory parts and installation money. I am actually very glad this day has finally come. Here 'Stangy, 'Stangy, 'Stangy.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyminpin View Post
The latest issue of Road and Track had the 5.0 vs. LS3 and V6 vs. V6 as well and had the same results. The 5.0 was a bit quicker then the LS3, and the V6 stang just crushed the V6 camaro.

They also did this test in Car and Driver but I believe they threw a Challenger RT in there as well. They said they wouldn't use the SRT8 because it was in a different price bracket then the 5.0 and LS3 and they considered the SRT line specialty vehicles like Ford's SVT line and said if a comparo would be done, it would be the GT500 vs the SRT8, LMAO, if that wouldn't be enough for a $43,000 Challenger owner to walk out into the front yard and blow his brains out I don't know what would.

Bottom line is, everybody says the new 5.0 is legit and the new thing to beat on the streets. Kind of makes you wonder if the LSA equipped Z28 will fare the same way against the GT500, only 16 hp difference... Unless the General steps up and drops the LS9 in it...

From subscribing to 5 different car mags, I knew the 5.0 was coming 2 years ago. Which is why last year I bought my heads/cam kit from Texas-Speed and then spent the whole next year buying up the rest of the accessory parts and installation money. I am actually very glad this day has finally come. Here 'Stangy, 'Stangy, 'Stangy.
I drove one of the early test mules with a 5.0 at Buttonwillow in July of 2007. A friend of mine is a huge Ford collector and he and a couple of other people were invited to a track day at Buttonwillow with a bunch of current Fords and some upcoming ones. Also had some Roush and Saleen cars and trucks there.

I was there with my 2006 C6 Vette and it did some pretty competitve lapping considering the cars there, GT500's, Ford GT's, a 1993 Porsche 911 Turbo and some other cars too. These were big dollar players, my friend had the 911 Turbo, a Mercedes E55 AMG, one of his 3 GT500's, one of his 2 Ford GT's and his work truck which was a Roush supercharged F150. There were several other people like him invited to this event and he got me invited with him.

I kept watching the ford engieers that were driving this one test mule that no one was allowed to drive. They called it the Boss 302. They said it was going to be the setup for the 2010 Mustang.

I got to talking with them and one of the guys asked if he could lap my car a couple times for comparison to the Boss. I said sure if I can lap your car. After a bunch of back and forth and a call to Dearborn, I got to do several laps in it with an engineer with me and they did some laps in the Vette with me with them.

I was consistantly quicker in that car than I was in my Vette and in my friends GT500. It was a very easy car to drive real fast. They told me it had around 400 hp and it had the GT500 suspension and brakes, AKA the track pack. The car impressed the heck out of me. I did a write up when I got back from the trip. I'm not sure if the post is still there.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 06:13 PM

I personally am not afraid of them, since by now I am positive I'm close in both weight and HP. I might be 420-430 at the crank now? No dyno here. There's a noticed improvement with launch with my current mods.

All I did was remove some shrouds, hood liner, gut the trunk, and the lighter catback... there's more weight to be lost in my A/C, headers/OR mids, radio & speakers (maybe), CF hood & decklid, and Lexan.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Where the women are scarce and the sheep are scared. So. Cali
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Actually I like the new Mustangs but not enough that I would own one. Even though they're pretty quick, I'm not worried about them or any other car that's supposed to be a challenge for us. The cars that aren't supposed to be quick are the ones that I worry about the most.

~I'm ya huckleberry~
~516rwhp/500rwtq~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC11NCGTEvI
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 08:06 PM

Really they're not bad cars, but I think for the money spent on performance (including purchase price & bolt-ons) the GTO still wins out. So far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in