motortrend virtual race - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
motortrend virtual race

anybody check out the virtual comparison between the camaro concept and the mustang. Its got the 08 camaro doing a quater mile in 11.5 @ 130. I'm thinking not unless they are going to use something more potent than the ls2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 07:42 PM

I think that time was for a possible ZL1 (427ci) version, not the LS2. Still seems like a stretch though.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 09:07 PM

I read the article also. Thats is crazy, Virtual times. Ha!!!. Fords are Virtually fast. They won't make the Camaro any faster than the GTO, unless they make the non-Z06 Vette faster.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5ORGTO
I read the article also. Thats is crazy, Virtual times. Ha!!!. Fords are Virtually fast. They won't make the Camaro any faster than the GTO, unless they make the non-Z06 Vette faster.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 03:19 PM

How in the hell do you "virtually race" anything?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 04:43 PM

I read the article. If you paid attention to all the preliminary parts in which the author explained the complex computer program (at the University of Michigan, I believe), there are tons of variables the engineers have to enter to make this work. The MT author admitted to not having every last bit of data necessary, so they had to guess on some things.

One key item they didn't have was the Mustang's drag coefficient, which they said Ford won't release. It must be gosh-awful, as B-A-Better Person has long suggested. And because they didn't have the Mustang's aero number, all of the acceleration figures reflect what would happen in the airless environment of cyberspace. So whereas the 0-60 times might be close to real-world figures, the number for the quarter-mile aren't going to be true-to-life.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 07:09 PM

yeah i'd imagine the stang's drag coefficient is horrible, with that retro-throwback parachute grille. There's a reason companies stopped using that, and it wasn't because they went out of style.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 09:23 PM

I've heard that the C6's life will be about half of what the C5 was and the C7 will make a major step forward from the C6.

I've heard the LS2 and LS7 are dead. They have replacements for them maybe as early as next year. Definately by 2008 the base C6 will have a 450hp LS3 and the LS7 will be 550-600. The Blue Devil (Corvette SS) will have 650hp plus and will still avoid the gas guzzler tax. The Z06 is going to get the 6spd auto that's in my C6. That tranny is capable of handling 850 hp. I just read in the Corvette Quarterly where the 6A was raced against the 6M on a road course and an Autocross. It won the autocross fairly easily and lost on the road course by less than a half second.

GM has some really neat things coming up if they make it through the next 2 years.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 09:27 PM

Wow did I go off subject. LOL.
I'd guess the new Camaro with a LS3 at say 425hp and 3600lbs would run a mid to high 12's. Maybe a ZL1 with 525 would be low 12's to real high 11's.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergyflyer
I'd guess the new Camaro with a LS3 at say 425hp and 3600lbs would run a mid to high 12's. Maybe a ZL1 with 525 would be low 12's to real high 11's.
These are good days to be a horsepower junkie.

Now if we could only convince everyone else to switch to hybrids, thereby leaving loads of cheap gas for we faithful few, life would be pretty near perfect!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in