N. Korea and the missile launch - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
N. Korea and the missile launch

Some of you may know, the North Koreans have threatened to the world that they may launch a new Taepodong 2 missile as a test carrier for a nuclear warhead.

The missile was filled with propellant, meaning that likely the missile will be fired within ten days (the propellant is highly corrosive to the internals). There is also the matter of national pride. Since the N. Koreans claimed they will perform the test to their people, backing down would be viewed as cowardice among their people to the evils of the west.

The N. Koreans recently asked for 1 on 1 talks with the US, in an agreement to delay the launch further. The US responded that the N. Koreans can continue with the 6 nation talks that they backed out of in the first place...or forget it.

The world is watching. Japan and China, in particular, are extremely worrried about this. Do you think N. Korea will launch?

[img]http://news.bbc********/media/images/38356000/jpg/_38356631_taepodong_missile_ap300.jpg[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricekiller

The world is watching. Japan and China, in particular, are extremely worrried about this. Do you think N. Korea will launch?

[img]http://news.bbc********/media/images/38356000/jpg/_38356631_taepodong_missile_ap300.jpg[/img]
It sure looks like it. The latest I've heard is that if they launch it, we may launch a missile seeking counter strike. The arguement here is: N. Korea says it has a right to build a nuclear missle. (but their goal is to build it with the long range capability to reach Japan and parts of the US.)I don't think that Kim Jong Il, North Korea’s leader,will stop now, since this has been in the world's news for quite some time. I think the situation is pretty serious. Especially for Japan. Imanage if N Korea launched against Japan. We would probably aid them in a counter strike. As a note: just this month we have sold Japan 9 sea-based missile defense interceptors.

You know what REALY irks me? That more people know about Tom Cruise, Katie Holms, Angeline Jolee, Brad Pitt, ect. than this whole N. Korea thing.

Heres a good link: http://www.missilethreat.com/
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 07:21 AM

We initially said that we would shoot down their missle if they did not inform the world of the test launch ahead of time. unfortunately we do not have enough missle intercept systems in place to be certain we can shoot it down. So we have backed away from that and are now saying we might shoot it down if it looks threatening.

IMO North Korea is much more of a threat than Iran is or Iraq was. They have the nuclear technology and the weapon. They are now developing the delivery system and the have next to nothing to lose by using it. They have an intense hatred of the Japanese and the US. My guess is if cornered they would strike Japan with several warheads while pouring over the border into South Korea. I'm not sure the Chinese would do anything to stop them, and they would probably hold a nuclear device or 2 in reserve to threaten the US if we came to the South's aid. The threat would be to use the device against US troops in Korea or launch against the west coast. Kim would gamble that the US would not nuke his country because we would be afraid of the opinions of other countries.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 07:47 AM

Just saw on the news this morning we have a sub based missile that will intercept a missile threat.

I'm guessing we've got a sub ready to do just that near N. Korea.

Maybe it's my age, but I have a hard time getting too worked up over these situations any more. The media will sensationalize whatever is possible, trying to scare people (scared people watch more news), and the debacle that is called intelligence for the pre-Iraq invasion speaks for itself as to our intelligence capabilities.

One thing I am sure of, if they launch a missile, any missile, gas prices will rise.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noz34me

One thing I am sure of, if they launch a missile, any missile, gas prices will rise.
AINT THAT THE DAMN TRUTH!! A huge, laughing grin just crossed my face from reading that! AND the news will blame Bush for the whole thing.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 09:14 AM

One of the best things we could do would be to fully arm Japan. With China and N. Korea close by and a fully armed Japan I think both communist countries would think a little more before they did anything.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 09:57 AM

Missile or not, I think North Korea is a problem. An entire population that thinks that their frequent power outages and food problems are the fault and direct intent of the United States? Seriously, the one documentary to come out of that country showed a family cussing out America because their power grids suck in Korea. They even believe that Western forces have their country surrounded and cut off. Whether or not they luanch a missile, how are we going to deal with all the citizens who are completley brainwashed? I don't see a place for a separatist state such as North Korea in todays society.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 11:19 AM

North Korea's Government WANTS their people to think their problems are caused by the US. Who else could they blame? Their own government? That could cause a revolt! BLAME AMERICA! That's what communist thinking countries do to calm their population. It's a cheap solution! Cheaper than actually solving your own countries poverty problems.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouHolden?
Whether or not they luanch a missile, how are we going to deal with all the citizens who are completley brainwashed? I don't see a place for a separatist state such as North Korea in todays society.
The answer is you can't deal with them. Just like you can't deal with a people that have been fighting amongst themselves for centuries. We are finding that out, very painfully I might add.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 12:34 PM

You can only help those that want help. Of course you could just wipe out the entire population.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in