New Arizona Immigration Law - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New Arizona Immigration Law

The new Arizona immigration law has caused an uproar.

Some people are even canceling trips to Arizona because of it. The latest person to cancel all further travel to Arizona is none other than President Obama.

Seems he is unable to find his birth certificate or any other means of proving he is legally in the country.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 11:01 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm all for Arizona putting their foot down. The Federal Government sure isn't. O'yeah, I forgot, those could potentially be millions of xtra votes....

SOLD.....
462ci, 4spd
Performer Intake, Mild Cam
Pertronix Ignitor III
Accel Super Coil, Accel 8.8mm Wires
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 11:52 AM

They should have taken it a step further with a "shoot first, ask questions later" policy.

Nevada's law proves that the federal government has failed in its purpose, to protect our nation from invasion and attack.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 12:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho Dan View Post
They should have taken it a step further with a "shoot first, ask questions later" policy.

Nevada's law proves that the federal government has failed in its purpose, to protect our nation from invasion and attack.
especially on the border. They should just shoot everyone they see jumping the border. Heck even placing land mines would be cheaper than deportation, or worse, us paying for imprisonment. If they are willing to jump the border I'll bet 3 square meals a day and a roof over their head in prison is more than what they are running from. I don't know about you guys but something about having to push 2 for English at my local ATM machine really bothers me!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes06goat View Post
especially on the border. They should just shoot everyone they see jumping the border. Heck even placing land mines would be cheaper than deportation, or worse, us paying for imprisonment. If they are willing to jump the border I'll bet 3 square meals a day and a roof over their head in prison is more than what they are running from. I don't know about you guys but something about having to push 2 for English at my local ATM machine really bothers me!
I grew up in Pittsburgh in the 70's. There was/is Polish hill that was mostly Polish. There was Lawrenceville, Millvale, Verona and Penn Hills that were mostly Italian. You heard people speak Italian and Polish in those areas. People put business signs out in English and whatever ethnicity was in the area. I have no problem with that.

I also have no problems with people that want to come to America and share in the American dream. People that want to become part of the worlds most successful country and experiment in freedom.

I do have problems with people that come here illegally. I do have problems with people that don't want to assimilate into this country and be part of it, but instead want to change it to something that it's not. I have problems with people refusing to speak and learn English.

I've been in several states. I have had interactions with law enforcement in several states too. Not where I'm speeding or otherwise breaking the law, but in instances where I've called to report a crime or a potential problem. In every case they always ask me for my ID. My understanding is, if you are in the country illegally you can't get a valid ID.

My understanding of the AZ law is that if a police officer has an interaction with someone they are required to ask for ID. If you are legal you have no problem showing your ID to a police officer. They usually run it for wants and warrants and when it comes back as fake, or that you are a criminal then there is a problem. Most police departments currently do that. The only difference is in most states I can refuse to provide an officer my ID. Then he can only demand it if he has probable cause I've commited a crime. The AZ law says that a citizen can be asked for ID if the officer has reasonable suspiscion that the person is here illegally.

What's funny is, the Mexican governments response is to condemn this law, but their laws are way more strict regarding immigration and you do hard time in jail for illegally entering their country. Also they have almost no signs and communication in English.

As for shooting people that cross the border illegally, I hate to see it come to that, but we should post, in English and Spanish, signs that warn tresspassers will be shot. If we then shot a couple that might stop some of the problem.

I think the right answer is to impose massive fines on employers that employ illegals. If it is a recurring offense add jail time for the officers of the company. That would dry up the demand for illegal labor. Then we need to look at our laws and fix them. The minimum wage law helps create a demand for illegal labor by imposng an artificial bottom threshold on what an employee would work for. Maybe we don't allow enough people into the country on work visa's, although most of the people coming in don't have the skills to qualify for a work visa even if there were an unlimited amount of them.

We tax our corporations so high that they need to employ low cost labor to be competitive. Wanna see America work again, lower or eliminate business taxes. Want to see wages rise, eliminate business taxes. Our goods will be cheaper overseas and people will buy our stuff like they buy Chinese stuff. Ford and GM and Chrysler will build plants here again and employ Americans. Outsourcing will be a thing of the past. How will the government make up the lost tax revenue, 2 ways, more people working with higher wages means a larger tax base and they can impose an equal tarrif sytem to what other countries impose on our goods. A Chevy Cobalt in Japan is marketed through Toyota. Foriegn companies can't sell there without having a domestic partner. The Cobalt is taxed about 40% too. Well guess what, your Toyota Corolla is now getting taxed 40% and it's going to be sold to GM who will now market it to the few people that buy one.

Oh well I'm way off topic now.

Less illegal activity of any type is a good thing so let's stop illegal immigration. Go AZ.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 03:51 PM

If you are in the country illegally, you should be shot and cremated. You don't exist as far as I'm concered.

2003 Corvette Z06 - MGW shifter, Corsa X pipe, Corsa Xtreme exhaust, Texas Speed long tubes w/o cats, PowerStop rotors/pads, Conti DWS tires, C6Z51 F&R sways, C5R headlights, tuned

04 GTO - sold
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergyflyer View Post
I also have no problems with people that want to come to America and share in the American dream. People that want to become part of the worlds most successful country and experiment in freedom.
I do. Stay away, country's full. No more immigration, period. Why are we the only country in the world that will grant citizenship to anything that breathes? We don't need more competition in our communities for jobs/money, food, or land. With so many people having litters of children here within our borders, I think our population growth is out of control enough as it is.

Sounds harsh, but there's already too many people in the US for us to be picking up hitchhikers, whether they have good intentions or not.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 04:36 PM

Garage
The worst part is I'll bet after financial reform, immigration reform will be next and what side of the fence do you think Obama will be on? Not the AMERICAN side. He'll definitely try to make life easier for the "undocumented workers". The USA rushes to help any and all countries with their problems but look at whats happening in the Gulf. Not much government response if you ask me and it's starting to affect our own economy. Maybe we should send less money to Haiti and concentrate on our own country for a while.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Well said Mike!!!!!

Haitti has an earthquake and we are the first to respond.

Chille has an earthquake and we are first to respond.

Indonesia has an earthquake and we are frst to respond.

Where is China the new economic powerhouse?????

Where is Russia ????

These other great countries laugh at our charity and the countries we help think we are the devil and that we aren't doing enough for them.

Well we now have an oil spill. No one is rushing to help us. We are on our own with this one.

Worse yet, I think the powers that be in Washington want this spill to be bad for two reasons. One it gives them more control over the oil industry to regulate and two is to be able to say see we told you so, can't drill.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes06goat View Post
The worst part is I'll bet after financial reform, immigration reform will be next and what side of the fence do you think Obama will be on? Not the AMERICAN side. He'll definitely try to make life easier for the "undocumented workers". The USA rushes to help any and all countries with their problems but look at whats happening in the Gulf. Not much government response if you ask me and it's starting to affect our own economy. Maybe we should send less money to Haiti and concentrate on our own country for a while.

"Undocumented workers" is a very politically correct term that I hate. I understand that many of these folks just come for a better way of life, but the U.S. cannot continue to absorb more population. In truth, they are illegal criminal aliens. Other countries laugh at the U.S. because we cannot secure our borders. Reagan let in 5 million illegals in the 80s and that was supposed to solve the problem. What it did was encourage even more illegal criminal aliens to come to the U.S. A rancher and a sheriff's deputy were recently killed/wounded in Arizona and the suspects are illegal criminal alien drug cartel members. When I served on a School Board in the early 90s, California estimated at that time that 40% of the students in K-12 public schools in California were illegals. Imagine what that percentage is today! Go Arizona!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in