New to the forum - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New to the forum

Just wanted to say hi to all the members here. I dont currently own a GTO but am strongly considering getting one here pretty soon. If anyone has any pro's or cons they would like to speak of about the GTO I would love to hear them. Hope to see you all around the board.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristopher
Just wanted to say hi to all the members here. I dont currently own a GTO but am strongly considering getting one here pretty soon. If anyone has any pro's or cons they would like to speak of about the GTO I would love to hear them. Hope to see you all around the board.
PRO: Owning a GTO

CON: Not owning a GTO
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 01:47 PM

Pros

- LS2/Tremec drivetrain
- A performance steal price wise
- Excellent build quality
- Sleek yet understated design (I love the look of the goat)
- Great seats
- Fantastic ride and steering
- Intoxicating exhaust note

Cons

- Not a practical car (tiny trunk, two doors, decent at best mileage)
- Weak stock stereo (I'm disappointed in the lack of low frequency response)
- No creature comforts (no auto climate control, no heated seats, no auto dim rear view, no seat memory, no auto lock in the M6 version)
- Expensive insurance, expensive tires, expensive gas (premium only)

All that being said, people should not be looking for practicality or creature comforts with a GTO.

It is what it is: a fantastic performer that will cause muscle strain in your cheeks as you cannot help but smile when you drive it.

I have been pondering one since they introduced it in 2004. I hated the non split exhaust so I waited. I love my 2005 model. The power just never gets old - it's such a blast to drive!

Last edited by SJAndrew; 06-18-2005 at 02:17 PM.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJAndrew
Pros

- LS2/Tremec drivetrain
- A performance steal price wise
- Excellent build quality
- Sleek yet understated design (I love the look of the goat)
- Great seats
- Fantastic ride and steering
- Intoxicating exhaust note

Cons

- Not a practical car (tiny trunk, two doors, decent at best mileage)
- Weak stock stereo (I'm disappointed in the lack of low frequency response)
- No creature comforts (no auto climate control, no heated seats, no auto dim rear view, no seat memory, no auto lock in the M6 version)
- Expensive insurance, expensive tires, expensive gas (premium only)

All that being said, people should not be looking for practicality or creature comforts with a GTO.

It is what it is: a fantastic performer that will cause muscle strain in your cheeks as you cannot help but smile when you drive it.

I have been pondering one since they introduced it in 2004. I hated the non split exhaust so I waited. I love my 2005 model. The poer just never gets old - it's such a blast to drive!
while I do whole hartedly agree with you.

Common WTF this aint a TRUCK, GETTO BLASTER, HONDA INSIGHT, BMW OR BENZ

like I said I do completly agree with the pro's and con's, if any of the con's are what is holding you back you may want to take your 30k and put it in a Mini Van

Last edited by Braman'sGTO; 06-18-2005 at 02:03 PM.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 02:08 PM

On the topic of insurance, thru the same insurance company I have now (Progressive) a Slowstang would have been another 40 a month over what I'm paying for insurance on the GTO. Expensive, I suppose, outrageous or unreasonable, No.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 02:17 PM

I have USAA and My insurence fo me and my wife on both my GTO and truck is only 1200 a year which is alot cheeper than my insurance has been in a long time. I pay less on 2 vehicals than my parents do on 1, you may want to talk to your insurance CO, I got a safty discount on the GTO because of how well is does in its crash rating
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 02:19 PM

That's true.

I'm 30 with a clean driving record. Insuring my GTO and 98 GTP is $850/6 month for comprehensive on both.

Last year, it was almost twice that (I presume that it's cheaper now that I'm 30).
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 10:07 PM

IRT insurance, I'm paying $28 more every 6 months for my GTO compared to my 01 Z28. It helps to have a clean record and be over 30, but I find myself sucumbing to the lead foot more often in the Goat and I'm glad I've got a good radar detector...It sure is fun to drive!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 10:47 PM

More Pros and Cons

Pros:

- Sleeper factor (nobody expects this car to be this fast - my dad was shocked)
- Cruise control even on the M6 (this has prolly saved me many speeding tickets)
- Cool green entry light near kickpanel (I know it's nothing THAT special, but I think it looks cool)
- Bright red brake calipers (another small detail that makes it look GREAT)
- Very comfortable to drive (the seats, foot room, center console, and position are all great - a LOT more comfortable than I expected)
- Tight turning radius (I guess that I expected a loooong radius as the car looks so sleek - but it can turn tighter than my GTP)
- Bright headlights and brights - a LOT brighter than my GTP
- Quiet turn signal - no typical GM click/clank click/clank
- Speed sensitive stereo volume (very welcome feature)
- Great looking instrument cluster (intuitive layout, good looking, chock full of great information)
- No MP3 support for the CD changer (I have not tested this - but I'm pretty sure this is the case)
- LED center brake light (so much better looking than the incandescents my GTP has)
- Simple, discreet rims (I love the stock 5-spoke rims - I like the satin finish and the fact that they're not distracting or gaudy)
- The car is very surprisingly quiet. I expected it to be a LOT louder than it is. Don't get me wrong, you can hear the exhaust - but it's a perfect combination.
- Better mileage than I expected (I'm getting around 19 cruising around 70/30 highway/city - and I've had my foot pretty heavy into it )

Cons

- Bad rear view vision (the rear wing and B/C pillars block a lot of the rear view vision)
- The key is HUGE (I wish the functions were on a separate fob like my GTP - but, this is largely personal preference)
- The trunk doesn't pop up when released (My GTP is the same - I wish it was like my mom's STS where it opens when you press the button - very handy when you're carrying something)
- Could use HID headlights (I think they look cool) - I may add them later - does anyone know if this has been done?
- Non functional hood scoop. Yes, I know they technically lower the engine compartment temperature and will have a theoretical effect on the performance via colder instake - BUT, how hard would it be for GM/Holden to add some plumbing to make this fully functional? They're pretty much just for looks now.
- I continue to be disappointed in the stereo - it's pretty impotent even compared to the Delco system my GTP has. It's a joke compared to a good Bose cadillac system. I forsee a speaker upgrade in my future.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 11:08 PM

New here also, but love my new "Goat", and don't think you will really know why, till you drive one...

BTW...my insurance went up $8.00 over my SS Camaro, I can live with that.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in