New here need some Advice. GTO?? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New here need some Advice. GTO??

Hey, as of right now I have a 1990 300zx TT, with just over 16k original miles on it, I love it, I have the basic modds exhaust, intake, race pipes, and down pipes, well The other day I was driving and a Blue GTO pulled up next to me, and revved it up, I almost wet my self, It sounded amazing, he turned so I followed him and we talked, he had a cam exhaust, hi-flow cats, Really cool guy...

Well the point of this story is I am really considering upgrading and getting a 05 GTO, I really like them a lot. I was wondering what all you guys like about them so much, (basically try to sell me one) ..Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 05:47 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hotZcar
Hey, as of right now I have a 1990 300zx TT, with just over 16k original miles on it, I love it, I have the basic modds exhaust, intake, race pipes, and down pipes, well The other day I was driving and a Blue GTO pulled up next to me, and revved it up, I almost wet my self, It sounded amazing, he turned so I followed him and we talked, he had a cam exhaust, hi-flow cats, Really cool guy...

Well the point of this story is I am really considering upgrading and getting a 05 GTO, I really like them a lot. I was wondering what all you guys like about them so much, (basically try to sell me one) ..Thanks
Go test drive one. It's all you'll need to know.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 06:18 PM

I agree test drive a GTO. However I do love the 300zx, when I was like 19, and in College, there was an older Student maybe 25-28. She had a Silver 1990 300ZX, and she was hot. She took me for a ride. Wow those were the days.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 11:22 AM

Ditto to what they said.
You enter a different world when you drive a GTO compared to what you're driving now. Mind you, I don't hold a grudge against some of the foreign cars like some around here. Your 300zx TT probably isn't a slouch in any way, but the low-end torque from the GTO will positively blow you away. I've had many performance cars over the years, several of which have been supercharged, but nothing matches the low-end grunt of the goat. There's just something SO cool about a car which sounds and takes off like a 60s musclecar.
If you aren't sure you want to buy a new car, DON'T test-drive the GTO. You will be hooked the second you turn the key and the car is sitting there, gently rocking back and forth as the engine roars to life. It's sensory overload...
Smell of the leather mixed with a bit of exhaust...
Feel of the car rocking ever so slightly...
Sound of the big V8 burbling away, just begging you to go out and DRIVE...
Sight of those big hood scoops, looming over the top of your hood, just waiting for some air to be pushed into them at whatever speed you choose to go...
And finally the saliva begins to form in your mouth, just like before your favorite meal as you pull up to the first stoplight and see that whimpy little Mustang (replace with the car of your choice) sitting there, the guy trembling with fear of the whipping he's about to receive, as his girlfriend looks over at you and smiles coyly...
Then you stomp on the go-pedal and in a flash you're gone, leaving only tire smoke and the smell of burned rubber in your wake, with the guy in the Mustang wondering what just happened...
Yep, that's a typical day in the GTO. How could you NOT want one?!?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 01:36 PM

That brought a tear to my eye...

I've got to go drive mine for a while...
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 02:18 PM

I could go on and on and on about the great things I experience with the GTO. I doubt I could ever put into words the way it really feels to get in and stomp on the loud pedal. The words I wrote above really don't do it full justice.
The GTO may not be the most stylish car in the parking lot, but it accomplishes its job like few other cars that I have driven. I constantly get people asking me "is it as fast as everyone thinks it is?", or "will it REALLY do 200 mph?" and a lot of "will you do a burnout when you leave the parking lot please?" from the younger guys. This car has a difficult to live up to reputation, nearly that of a supercar, but in my opinion, it lives up to that reputation. I have pulled up to Mustangs at stoplights and the guy would refuse to even look over at me. Chances are that I wouldn't have stomped him THAT badly, but it's fairly obvious that he doesn't want to tangle with the GTO. This car is definitely a word-of-mouth and test-drive seller. It's not something you see on the road every day, so it's somewhat mythical in its nature. I had read reviews, visited forums and asked as many questions about the GTO as I could to both non-GTO owners and GTO owners, but NOTHING prepared me for that test drive. I fired it up, and my first impression was "wow, this sounds good", but it wasn't something that totally blew me away, since I've been around and driven a fair number of muscle cars, both past and present. Toodling around town to get out into the country was a fairly interesting experience, the low end torque makes this car a pleasure to drive, especially if it's a 6-speed. The second I got out into the country, on an empty road, I came to a stop, put it into first and stomped on the pedal. The rear tires instantly lit up through first, second and well into 3rd...and in an instant I was up to 80mph, I shifted into 4th and the car was still pulling so hard that i doubt I could have lifted my back off of the seat if I had to. I looked down as 120 mph came and went and decided I'd better slow down a bit before I lift off and go into orbit. I put it into 5th and just listened to the engine as it winded down...I was hooked, there was no going back to test drive any other cars, I'd found precisely what I wanted. I got back to the dealer and told 'em to write it up and I drove home an hour later in the most fun car I have ever had.
No matter how bad my day is going, getting behind the wheel of the goat always makes me feel better. This is a driver's car. It performs nearly flawlessly on the curvy roads of the old Ozark Mountains as it does on the flat, straight, open highways of the desert southwest as you fly along without a care in the world.
I took this car from here in Missouri to Vegas at the end of February of this year, and I got 25 miles per gallon over the trip, which is fairly good for a car with this large of an engine. Even dragging along at 60mph, the RPMs are at a slothlike 1550, yet you have enough torque to climb a mountain without shifting down. It's a sheer joy to drive in every respect. If you DON'T have fun in this car, there's something wrong with you.
When it comes to "bang for the buck", you simply CANNOT get something better than the GTO. 400 Horsepower and 400 ft/lb of torque, great interior, superb ride and handling, room for 4 normal-sized adults and corvette-like performance for $33k...how can you top that???
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 08:33 PM

I'll (3rd? 4th?) the idea of taking one out for a test drive--but only if you are reasonably serious about potentially purchasing one.

The 300ZX TT in its last body style (don't know what gen it was, but the roundish one like the 1990 is) was always I car I really liked. At the time it was newish, however, there was no way I could have afforded one, being just out of high school and working crap jobs. Neither could my friends, so I never actually rode in/drove one.

If you have an original low milage 300ZX, that is rather unique and worth some bucks. You will have to consider how much you like it. The GTO is unique on the road, but at this point in time the Z will be fairly unique too, so if that matters, it will be similar between them.

The 300ZX would get you good money if you did decide to sell it and get the GTO (assuming you don't want to hang onto it).

I've never owned a turbo vehicle, but I've often heard horror stories of grief from turbo cars.. how the turbo can die at 100k miles, and are expensive to replace, yadda yadda.

The GTO would be a rather different beast. It should sit a bit higher, low end torque will probably be better, and you don't have to wait for the turbo to spool up (that's something that usually annoys me personally on turbo cars, though the ones I've ridden in and driven may have been worse offenders). Gas mileage will be comparable. The GTO is heavier, but not so much heavier that it would require a major change in driving.

The GTO is somewhat of a stealth vehicle. You don't see many 300ZX on the road, but when people see them, they assume it is quick. The GTO throws people off--some people totally ignore it, others mistake it for a Cavalier or Grand Am, etc. (Don't let that turn you off--the GTO is much higher quality than Grand Ams and Cavaliers). Being stealth is rather cool IMO.

Drive it and let us know what you think.

06 IBM/blue M6 18"
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 08:46 PM

Generally, the twin turbo systems have much less lag than a single, large turbo. Sometimes, they aren't even a "twin" at all, they're set up as one small turbo which is set to produce boost at low-RPM and one large turbo to make big hp/tq on the high end. I'm not sure if the 300zx is a true "twin" turbo system or not, since I'm not that familiar with those cars.
Either way, the GTO will be tons of fun.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 08:54 PM

I swear! It's like an epiphany reading your descriptions! You have captured the essence perfectly!

Jim M

'06 Manual, 18", Phantom Black
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 07:20 PM

If I had more time I probably could have done better. I swear, I could write an entire novel about my experiences with this car already. It's not just "a car" to me anymore, it's more like a member of the family. hehe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in