User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
A nice bonus!

I take my 66 GTO to a lot of shows and really enjoy it. I usually win a nice trophy and have a pretty good collection of awards.

I was entered in a Car & Truck Show this past Saturday. I won a nice trophy and as a matter of habit, I always take a photo of the trophy or plaque placed under the hood. After I had done that and was in the process of packing up my chairs and getting ready to go, a nice young woman approached and said that she was glad I had not left yet!

She said that the Great One was her favorite car at the show. With about 120 vehicles registered, I thought that was quite a compliment. She said she liked the "subtle" combination of the Mission Beige with the Martinique Bronze top. Her friend that was with her took some photos of her with the GreaT One. I invited her to sit in the driver's seat for a few additional photos.

I took this photo of her and the trophy.

It really made my day! (for an old guy)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	First Freewill BC 042917.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	441.9 KB
ID:	90401  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I did the same with my '67 at Houston Autorama 2015. A nice woman strolled by and noticed the car. She said it reminded her of her youth. I asked if she'd like to sit in it and she nearly cried! She had her friend take a few photos and loved it. The mom of these 2 cuties was ecstatic as well at our monthly get together.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
That is great! Even better when the younger generations love the older muscle cars (over the newer muscle or imports). Beautiful car El Monte!

Reminds me of my Father when he bought his '55 Chevrolet delivery wagon from a hardened old lady. No one could buy her late husbands car because everyone tried negotiating her down and she wanted someone to restore it. My Father showed up in one of his restored cars (to show her he was serious about making the car great again) and offered her the price that she wanted.
Long story short and several years later... he drove back to that town where he originally bought the car and showed it to her (completely restored and beautiful). She couldn't stop crying. They went for a long cruise and that truly made her day...or year.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I love those stacked headlights. No mistaking it's a classic. I bet Pontiac would still be around if the last GTO's looked more like either the 66,67 or 68,69. Or ANYTHING between 65 and 72. Even if it were a bit smaller, but gave a nod to the classics.
Sounds odd, but look how the Corvettes always retain a few styling clues that it's a Vette. Don't get me wrong, the later GTO's were cool and I like the sleeper idea, but that's a niche thing. When they were new I didn't want to pay all that money (at the time) for a Grand Am looking car. A used late model Vette seemed a much better choice and that's what I got instead.
Pontiac should have either: A) Put a little less into the car and made it less expensive with a more basic 350 V8 that could be hopped up. or B) The more likely and obvious, proven route...Make a tribute to the 68-69 GTO and earn a fortune like those made on the Mustang and Challenger. Those cars have looked like the 1968 model for what a decade now?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in