LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
OnStar Network

I have a friend who has a Grandson who is studying to be a mechanic in a GM school in the NASCAR circuit in N.C. One of the topics discussed was OnStar. The instructor told the class that the OnStar topic in the education of OnStar was not to be made public because GM wants the following information I am about to info you guys about, well, .....not made public.

According to the instructor: OnStar advisors have the ability to eavesdrop on cars that have OnStar installed. He informed the class that in the past, Police have made arrests as a result of OnStar tracking cars that were stolen etc that may be involved in unlawful acts. An example cited was kidnapping. According to my friends grandson Because of OnStar a vehicle was tracked and Police apprehended the suspect. Ever read how Police apprehend felons? I have read many times when the news says they got a "reliable" tip. OnStar = reliable tip
The class was further told that OnStar has the capability to at randomly listen in on a conversation unbeknownst to the people in the vehicle. The class was instructed NOT to discuss the topic outside the class with anyone. GM wants this confidential, (can you spell Lawsuit?) but they do have to teach it in their schooling.

I never thought of this before I was told of it. Imagine carrying on an intimate conversation and it is being broadcast for others to hear. I am NOT implying OnStar does this in anyway. But according to the GM instructor OnStar has the capability to do this.

OnStar is a really good benefit to have in emergencies, but in the age of signing confidentially agreements, and privacy acts, this is a benefit I want no parts of.

No matter where ya go, or where ya work, there is always one person in a group who does something that is against policy, if you get my meaning.

Think about open communications in your car. Someone on the other end you have no idea is there just may be listening to your private conversation. Anyone else hear any of what I just described?

I found this had to believe at first, but my friend's Grandson was animate in his depiction of the education he got in that class. Needless to say the entire class was unanimous in their decision to personally not have OnStar in their vehicle.

I can believe it, and I can also believe someone bored at the network just for kicks hones in on an unsuspecting driver just for $hits and Giggles.

Think it's possible?

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

Last edited by GTO JUDGE; 12-22-2006 at 06:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you talk on your cell phone it isn't a private communication because there is a signal broadcast. They also use cell phones to track people. That was how they knew where Saddam was before the start of the second gulf war. An advisor close to him got a cell call from the US government.

Police can tell where you are at and how fast you are driving with Onstar. They can use that against you if you have an accident involving high speeds.

Big brother is watching.

Good post Judge, and thanks for the info.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 09:09 PM

Keep in mind that there are millions upon millions of cars with OnStar. Of course they CAN do that. But then again, your internet company could be watching what you do, your phone company listening in on your convo, etc. The government can watch and listen and read what you do ANYWHERE if they wanted. Do they do it? Maybe, maybe not. You never know.

Yes, it's a possibility. But ANYTHING is a possibility now. OnStar just happens to work with cars, not your internet or other home services.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 10:34 PM

Onstar used to have a contract with Sitel a company I used to work for.

Thier typical employees were 1 step above being off welfare.

Now its problay sent off to India though
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 09:55 PM

Freedom is slavery. War is peace.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 08:19 PM

If you surrender freedom and liberty for security, you are neither free nor secure.

I think that's Ben Franklin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in