Our First Florida Vacation - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 04:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Our First Florida Vacation

Well, we finally did the Disney Experience, we just arrived back home from Disney, we had a great time. We stopped saying ď maybe next year ď and finally did it after 13 years of putting it off. We visited 3 parks and survived the flights and Orland International Airport, lol. Itís nice to get away and we as a family havenít done this before and Iím glad I did it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 10:03 AM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Garage
Disney is a lot of fun. My parents took me & my brothers as a family when they first opened in the 1970's. Space Mountain was the focal ride back then. I think it was the fastest roller coaster at the time - which they slowed down after a few years. My parents paid for all us kids (now adults) & significant others to join them at one of the onsite hotel resorts for their 50th wedding anniversary for 2 days - lot of fun and new rides to enjoy. Been there a couple times in between as well. My parents retired to Florida so they get the 1-year passes and hang around there to get away. My brother flies in for weekend getaways. He took a ride in one of the Amphicars if you happened to see those crossing the water.

Another great place is Busch Gardens. Been there several times. My folks also get the 1-year pass for there as well. Keeps them young.

Florida has a lot of things to do. I like airboats, so took a spin/tour on Wild Bill's Airboat Tours. Supercharged LS3 powered airboats with row seating that I think hold 26. They open the airboat up coming back and throw the airboat sideways a bunch of times side-slipping it. Best part of the ride for me. One of the owner's brothers I talked with has a 1968 GTO.

Was just there in December. Went to Solomon's Castle which was different and unique, but you gotta like creative art because that was what the owner (now deceased) did & enjoyed.

Key West is probably my favorite spot. The art deco area of Miami & Miami's South Beach are always a spot to visit to do some "people watching."

Much to do in Florida. My list goes on. LOL. Many car shows.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Thatís so cool Jim, I agree Florida does have a lot to offer for all ages. My favorite is Majoc Kingdom due to the fact that my GrandFather (recently passed) retired from Disney after retiring from MDOT here in Michigan in the early Ď80s, he got hired in and then later Disney offered him the operator of the Steam Engine (train) that goes around the Kingdom. He so loved that job. I wish I could have seen him while we was there, he is truely missed. We had a great time and Iím so proud of my wife and I cuz we did a awesome job on arranging our trip cost down and had a great motel, car rental and all the tickets and air fare, it was truely a dream come true.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 05:41 PM
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
My dad was an ironworker and he worked on the Matterhorn at Disneyland, I grew up in Anaheim and remember when Walt would open the gates in the AM.
We used to go on the days when the park was open for OC employees only and there was never a wait for any of the rides back then.
I haven't been there in over 30 years now but it was great back in the day.
Same with KBF, it was free to get in but the alligator farm that was kitty corner to it was 25 cents.
The Japanese Village and Deer Park was great too.
Anaheim/Buena Park were very nice back in the 60's, now not so much.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 09:52 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Been to Florida many times, always avoided Disney. Last roadtrip to FL was to an area west of Panama City late last July. Hanging out with very good friends for a week. Deep sea fishing in the Gulf. Groceries at the local PUBLIX as well as Wallyworld, the highest I've ever seen or paid for. Definitely good times, though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in