Perception of Quality - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Perception of Quality

What manufacturer recalled 750,000 pickup truck in 2005??? This same manufacturer in 2006 has also had every model it produces experience a recall.

Times up. It's Toyota. So much for their reputation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 09:14 PM

Do you have a source for this statistic? I'd like to send it to some people who questioned my sanity for buying a Pontiac.

GM and Ford recalls tend to make big headlines, import recalls not so much.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 10:15 PM

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 10:26 PM

In my line of work I go to many automotive parts manufactures facilities. From foundries in Mexico, all through out the U.S. and even have a die casting customer that I visit in Nova Scotia that produces servos for the 4l80E. You name it and I have probably seen it made, engine blocks, crankshafts, headlight assemblys, you name it. Alot of the parts used on todays cars are produced not by the auto manufacturer but by a subcontractor. One example (of many) is GKN Sintered Metals (a very fine company I might add). They have a plant in Sanford NC and a state of the art facility in Celya Mexico. They produce CV joints for just about every type of vehicle, from cars to atvs. Now me being a gear head I always keep my eyes peeled when I'm in places like this and do my own personal quality evaluation of the parts being made. But most importantly I always ask who their strictest customers are and it is ALWAYS Toyota first and Honda a close second. I don't think that I have to list who the least concerned customers are. Please understand that I don't have a perticular love for imports but I have yet to personaly see any Toyota or Honda parts made in mexico. I can't say that for the big three or even several german car companys. Every car company is going to have recalls but some do try harder to produce a quality automoble.

'74 Bronco rockcrawler, heavily modified
'03 Jeep Rubicon, stock
'85 Toy Sr5, Birf elim, lift,529s
'06 GTO
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 10:43 PM

Yeah, Toyota recalled more cars than they made last year. It was in the millions.

BTW, Toyota Tacoma pickups are being assembled in Mexico now. They all come over the border at the Otay Mesa crossing southeast of San Diego. I sat behind long lines of them waiting to get over the border this summer.

In fact, Toyota's building a whole new Toyota City complex in Ensanada -- or some ocean port town just over the border -- because the labor's so cheap and the Mexican government is building a deep water port to siphon off commerce from Long Beach.

Based on my recent experience working with Mexican labor, I wouldn't trust them to fold a burrito.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 12:28 AM
ACR

I can tell you this with absolute certainty, my GTO that I purchased last Monday has more bogus problems than any car I have ever purchased. Hour fourteen of ownership-Check Oil light comes on. dealer says it's a glitch drive on, forget about it. Next day Light comes on again they say it's a Oil Level sensor, NO Big Deal. These are the Experts, car doesn't have an Oil Level sensor. Yesterday, I slide the passenger rear seat back on it's track, and the seat literally breaks off the beauty trim piece on the slider. Lets see, then I notice the fricken Dome light doesn't work. I pull the cover off and test the bulb, it's bad. At this point my wifes getting home from work, I back the car out of her way, she walks up to me and says.....I hate to add insult to injury but one of your reverse lights is burned out!!!!! This is a brand NEW CAR.

I'm so happy I got a couple of weeks of vacation, so I can run around and get this POS fixed. Oh wait, I haven't tried the 6 disk changer yet, this otta be a good one. Now I know why this car is cancelled, sorry but this is completely inexcusable for a new car.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 12:44 AM

Man, this car has been a better than midline as far as issues. I agree that your problems are completely unacceptable. Take in your list and get the crap fixed. Have them check the voltage output, ground, and battery. I can see a small trim section coming off, but two bad lights; never seen it. Several owners have seen weird warning light and gauge behavior when the battery is less than perfect.

Iíd tell the general manager how unhappy you are and have them inspect the car from top to bottom.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 12:59 AM

Lemon, anyone?
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 01:01 AM
ACR

The battery idea is an interesting thought. The worst part about this car is that it has neither a voltage or oil pressure gauge. I just can't get over that fact.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACR View Post
The battery idea is an interesting thought. The worst part about this car is that it has neither a voltage or oil pressure gauge. I just can't get over that fact.
Did you revisit your original thread about that? I posted there...https://www.gtoforum.com/showthread.p...9973#post99973
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in