Plasma vs LCD - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Plasma vs LCD

I am looking at flatscreen TV's. What is the major differences? Is 1080i that much better than 720i? (I have DirecTV) When comparing HD pics side by side at Circuit City, the Sony seems blows the rest away for picture quality. I am looking for around 40" and it will stay on pretty much all day (I'm a Fox News addict) . I have noticed that the sports bars seem to prefer the LCD's because they seem to last longer. Any suggestions or websites that may help in my decision?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 11:52 AM

I have been told plasmas only last betwwen 500-800 hours, then you have to replace something? That info is about a year old on my end. Also, being a pilot alot of the lounges for us pilots have plasma TV, most on fox news, and you can see where the ticker on the bottom of the screen has burned in,,,, I know for sure you do want at least the 1080...The more the better!I have a projection screen HD TV and and the picture is UNBELIEVABLE in HD! I also have 2 LCD TV and the pic is great on them too....

Probably didn't help much...
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 01:10 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to raven1124
I did a little research before I bought mine. Like flyer said, plasma TVs picture starts to go bad after about two years while LCDs last a lot longer. Just make sure the TV you want has a bulit in HDTV tuner and is capable of 1080i resolution. As far a size, you cant go wrong with a 42'. Panasonic probably has the better name is HDTV's, but Sony's, Samsungs, and LG's are awesome too.
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer469 View Post
Also, being a pilot alot of the lounges for us pilots have plasma TV, most on fox news, and you can see where the ticker on the bottom of the screen has burned in,,,,
That's the problem I have hear ALOT about plasmas. So it looks like LCD for me. What are the best brands for the buck? Are there any other stats beside 1080i I should be concerned about?

Last edited by 05GTO; 11-16-2006 at 09:33 PM.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 07:19 PM

Ok let me see what help I can give. First, 1080p is the best you can get, it is going to be the standard since movies are shot in 1080p. 1080i is just below that. Unfortunately 1080p isn't very common in plasma and lcd yet. If you're willing to look into a DLP then it's easier and cheaper. I've found that DLP is really good with just 2 downsides, first you can't mount it on a wall cause it's not as slim, second the viewing angle isn't as good which isn't a problem if you aren't watching tv at extreme angles.

Another thing to watch out for is make sure the tv has HDMI with HDCP. All tv's should have it now but never hurts to check. The reason I bring this up is the first HDTVs did not have it, and the new HD players will require it, if you don't have it then the player will downscale your Blu-Ray or HD DVD movie to just DVD quality thus defeating the purpose of the player.

Plasma TV's, new ones are getting a lot better. They're about on par with LCD as new technology lets them stay bright longer and the problem of images getting burned in is becoming less of a problem.

My research led me to this, a 56" DLP 1080p tv at circuit city (great viewing angle for a DLP too) was less than $2000. A 46" 1080i (remember, not as good as 1080p) LCD tv at that store and all others I could find in the area was over $2000. Something to consider. But if flat is a must then I'd go for LCD. The DLP I was looking at was a Samsung, I compared it to every other brand Circuit city and Best Buy had and it was easily the best bang for the buck. If you have any other questions let me know. That's the end of my essay.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 08:40 PM

Plasma by far in my opinion. The "burn in" and "longer life issue" is now becoming more of a wives tale as newer plasmas have evolved in leaps and bounds over older plasmas. Dont forget that LCD's can burn pixel spots. From what I've read and from doing some research, plasmas best LCDs in veiwing range and clarity. I recenly bought a Panasonic 42PX600U and it is AWESOME!!!!!
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

I was looking at the Sharp 42" Aquos LCD. I have been told that the LCD's have a brighter picture. It said it was 1080(didn't specify p or i). It had 6,000:1 Dynamic Contrast and 1200:1 Native Contrast. Circuit City has it for $2069.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 09:33 AM

As an owner of a new plasma tv, let me wade into this fray.

Plasma TV's (new ones) typically have a usable display life of 60,000 hours. Not sure how much TV you watch, but that's over 20 years of TV for me. More than enough.

Plasma TV's use more electricity than LCD screens.
Plasma TV's, if you want the larger size screens are your only option.
Plasma TV's do a better job with non-HD broadcasts.

The last point is a key one. If you buy an HD TV now, you will have no choice but to watch some non-HD shows. The better HD TV's do an incredibly better job with these low res signals than others.

WHAT YOU SEE IN THE STORE IS AN HD SIGNAL DISPLAYED ON HD TV'S. You will need to ask to see a non HD display. We started with a Phillips HD Plasma. Great HD picture, but lousy watching everything else. Large digital "globs" and what's called "clayface" on people as the TV just doesn't know what to "plug in" to areas where there's no broadcast signal telling it what to do.

I would recommend Panasonic or Pioneer. Panasonic is sold at CostCo and they have a VERY liberal return policy. The reviews I read rated the Pioneer as best, Panasonic second.

Hope this helps.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

I seem to find alot more LCD's with 1080p. Most of the plasma I have seen (Circuit City) are 720p. So I guess my question is would a 720p plasma be superior to a 1080p LCD? Is contrast ratio also an important factor? Thanks for everyone's input, it is VERY helpful.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 02:35 PM

All the 1080i you need here: Panasonic 42PX600U. Check out the review..........

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/p...0u-review.html

Hope this helps w/ your research.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in