Portable nav systems........ - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Portable nav systems........

Just wondering if anybody else has one. I just bought the Lowrance iway 350c. Seems to work pretty good. Monday, I'll be using it for a short trip to Kerville, TX.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good 2 go
Just wondering if anybody else has one. I just bought the Lowrance iway 350c. Seems to work pretty good. Monday, I'll be using it for a short trip to Kerville, TX.
We've got a factory unit in my wife's car. It's nice having it integrated. Voice prompts are issued through the car's stereo which automatically interrupts any audio program. But, I always thought that the portables were a much better idea. You can move them from car to car and even use it on a business trip or vacation in a rental car. When you sell the car you get to keep the expensive electronics.

Do you end up with wires all over the car? Power cord? Antenna? Reception OK?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

The only cable is the 12v cord that powers the unit. It can be configured to play MP3 music through the speakers using a blank FM station, and the nav directions will go to the speakers also. I just got it Sunday, so I don't have a lot of experience with it yet, but so far I'm pleased. It's got TONS of configurable options, so it will be a while before I've toyed with all the features.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 04:45 PM

I always felt this was the best low cost ($99) alternative to NAV. But you need a laptop.

http://www.microsoft.com/streets/Pro...s.aspx?pid=001
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

On my trip to Kerrville today, the Lowrance worked OK there, but on the return trip, problems arose. While trying to type in an address, it locked-up. Once I cycled the power and started on my return leg, it started hick-upping. "Left turn at, Left turn at, Left turn at.........". After about a minute, it reset itself. Latter on, it got hung up once again, just briefly though. I decided to give another system a try. I returned it and picked up a Cobra Nav One. The Lowrance's map detail looks better, but it was smaller. The Cobra is 5" vs 3" for the Lowrance. The data base on the Lowrance was more complete. I could not "find" my address with the Cobra, so I drove home to set it manually. It was misspelled in the db, that's why it couldn't be located. I'll be back after I play with it some more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in