User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
prius vs gto

http://ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13979

i was reading something about a prius owner giving a fellow goat a bird and i thought this was rather comical. i had a friend from salt lake city to live here in sc. she said she felt like she was a tree hugger until she came here and now she wants to get rid of trees. well in driving my car i've come to the realization that gas mileage and emissions come down to how the vehicle is driven. for example i get the same gas mileage whether i drive granny style or pro mod style but i have found a happy medium for gas mileage. a 3k shift and everything seems to run the nicest while keeping the r's above 2k. there's that efficeincy point of the engine itself and the weight of the car with gearing and speed. looking at the specs of a prius 2932 lbs curb weight with a 76 horse and 82 ft-lb fuel motor and a 67 horse 295 ft-lb eletric motor i would say those horses seem worked fairly hard. combined that's a good amount of torque but not too many horses. so keeping up your speed would be difficult but you'd at least be able to accelerate for the lost speed. which burns more fuel of whatever sort it might be. the most fuel inefficient cycle of any internal combustion engine is start-up and i feel another is warm up. i think i'd go with something that's always burning the fuel and doesn't have to decide whether it wants help or not to move my butt out of the way of an oncoming truck that's about 20 times my size. the simpler the system is the more reliable it is. why don't we have these electric motor mechanisms in our m1a1's? get something that will burn any kind of fuel our or any other beetle bailey can pour into it. prius vs gto i'll take reliable power even if it does burn slightly more fuel than another car. besides why buy it if i can't drive it? btw i never had anyone flick me off yet for driving a v8 vehicle, no matter what the size
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 11:24 AM

If any Prius owner or for that matter any Hybrid vehicle owner thinks they are saving the Earth with their car, they are fooling themselves. If they were really that concerned then they would take public transportation or ride a bike (Schwinn not Harley) A gasoline powered car ( hybrid included ) uses gas and burns oil, period. If anyone ever gets upset about me driving a v8, I'd tell them to give up their A/C and heating in their house cuz that $#!t hurts the environment too. ( more the A/C if it's the window type but you get the point. )
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 01:38 PM

Hybrid drivers think they're being so economical. Let's remember the days of the old Civics and Corollas. They were all-gas engines and consistently got mid 40s per gallon. We have the tree huggers and enviro hippies to blame for poorer fuel economy, because all the emissions standards have made it increasingly more difficult to get better economy out of the engines.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
The longevity of those types of cars is unknown. Wait until they have to buy batteries for them. All the money saved on fuel will not equal what they will shell out for batteries.

These cars are a fad. Fads die out.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octomonkey View Post
Hybrid drivers think they're being so economical. Let's remember the days of the old Civics and Corollas. They were all-gas engines and consistently got mid 40s per gallon. We have the tree huggers and enviro hippies to blame for poorer fuel economy, because all the emissions standards have made it increasingly more difficult to get better economy out of the engines.
The emmision standards have actually helped. They spurred the developement of engine management systems that are the reason the Goats 364 Cu.in. motor makes 400hp net compared to a 1969 400 that made 370 gross hp. When you adjust that gross number to net you get about 250 net hp.

What really kills the mileage in todays cars is the weight. The average weight of a car in 1990 was 3170lbs now its over 3800lbs. We get this more from the safety nazi's. Airbags, roll-over protection, side impact protection, off-set crash protection, it adds mucho weight. Then you throw in the stuff we have to have on cars that were options before, power seats, windows, doors, sunroofs, trunk pull downs nav systems, video entertainment systems and high powered audio systems with multiple speakers. Then factor in the difference in size, cars are just bigger, and that's why you lose mileage.

That's why I like the Vette so much. Sure in a world of 500hp Ford GT500's it's 400hp doesn't sound world beating, but my car only weighs 3136lbs. Each 100pounds take 12 hp to overcome.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 11:12 PM

what i think is funny one picture will show movie star in there hibird, and the next pic shows them boarding there privite jet to fly half way around the world for a party.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 07:29 PM

Overheard at the local Radio Shack:

Gearhead #1: "Hey man, nice car! Whaddya got under the hood?"

Gearhead #2: "dude check this out... its got 6.4 gigajoules going through dual rectifiers, it's got chrome capacitor stacks, twin overhead oscillators and 4 diodes per inductor. She makes 200 EMF's per ohm and puts 460 Henrys to the front wheels!"

Gearhead #1: "cool! I bet she'll run!"

Gearhead #2: "oh yeah, you know the old saying, there's no replacement for magnetic flux density!"

Somehow it just aint the same...

Last edited by kegbelly; 02-16-2007 at 07:38 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergyflyer View Post
Each 100pounds take 12 hp to overcome.
Hmm, so our mod list should look something like:
- Headers
- CAM
- Tune
- Jenny Craig
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Since there are batteries involved in the hybrid, some of these guys who have them and are modding them out should come up with a way to shoot flames out the exhausts as they accelerate. Using the batteries they could come up with a way to cross-arc them causing a show for people to see.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

i was just talking to a friend about fuel efficient cars. she feels like batteries will become the wave of the future. i have a personal dilemma with the current technology we have versus elsewhere like brazil. on a recent trip there i encountered cars that would run off of both propane and gasoline. it's not a new thing as i can remember ford trucks had an option in the 80s to run off of propane as did jc whitney sell a kit to convert your car to propane. i think i want to convert my goat over to propane but i can't find a propane filling station everywhere i go. if i switched over to battery power i could always find an electrical outlet. why not build cars that run off of nitromethane which has something to the order of 4 times as much power as gasoline and methane is readily available from any swamp or landfill or even sewage plant. anyway back to the serious side, i was converting the gto over to battery power the other night, so far i'm up to 10 batteries. it's amazing the space under the hood we have. i fired her up and was cruising down the street when i came across a heavily modded cobra, one of those infamous 03s. well i revved the motor to get his attention. he got so scared he got out of his car and ran away pointing saying that thing is going to blow. a few minutes later the goat shut down and smelled like rancid burning parts. must have had too much battery power for that heavily modded cobra. just gotta work on the cooling part to get rid of the burning smell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in