LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Queen Pelosi

Let's start a thread dedicated to the Queen.

Topic: A new airplane for her.

I am assuming many have read or seen on the news the Queen's need for a bigger, and better equipped airplane to haul her around. Her biggest concern is she would have to stop to refuel along the way hindering her safety, and by flying nonstop would make her feel safer.

Never mind there are dozens of military airbases between the East, and West Coasts to stop and refuel at, but her main concern is so she will feel more safer flying nonstop.

She feels a modified 757 jumbo jet is necessary for her, while the previous luxury jets used for the previous House Speakers are ill equipped and substandard. The plane she wants rivals Air Force 1.

300K to fly nonstop from Coast to Coast. With a crew of 16 to service her and her entourage.

Perhaps a "Her Majesties tax" is in order.

All hail the Queen.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

Last edited by GTO JUDGE; 02-09-2007 at 02:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
maybe we should just stick to cars because the neocon bull**** is getting old!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 02:33 PM

I'd like to see proof that she made such a request -- not a bunch of unconfirmed reports from a bunch of unnamed sources from some crackpot conservative think tank or Limbaugh-style loudmouth who makes stuff up as he goes along. Sounds like a "swift boat" style smear campaign if you ask me.

Besides, Hastert was flown back in forth on a private plane during his entire term as Speaker. How come these "conservative Republican" organizations, who are all about fiscal responsibility and small government, didn't demand that he fly Southwest -- as this country has been running record deficits for years? Why the change in tune now?

There's a reason why Republicans got punted in droves the last election. And the last thing this country needs is crap like this. No elected official deserves private transporation -- not even the nit-wit in the White House -- as this country is flat out broke and shouldn't be putting another nickel on my credit card.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
I saw this on CNN, John Beck, and read what they said written by AP in our local paper. According to what I saw, and read, the only one sticking up for her is the White House. She's supposedly getting flack from the Republican's and some Demos.

www.gtoaa.org

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO judge View Post
I saw this on CNN, John Beck, and read what they said written by AP in our local paper. According to what I saw, and read, the only one sticking up for her is the White House. She's supposedly getting flack from the Republican's and some Demos.
You mean Glenn Beck, right? And who is he and the AP quoting? Oh, an unnamed source. Great. Is there a tape of her making such a request? An e-mail or memo? Or is this some kind of gross distortion where nothing of the sort was ever said? I really wish Congress would sit down and take care of our country's business instead of pulling stunts like this.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 08:48 PM

Here is what I heard. Trust me I'm definately not a Pelosi lover.

The House Speakers' plane is a 737. Why it doesn't have the range to fly from DC to San Fran is beyond me. They fly 737's nonstop from Pittsburgh to San Diego, I've been on them for that flight. It might have to do with the vectors they have to fly and there is a more straight through flight to San Diego. It might also have to do with FAA regs or military regs when a high ranking government official is aboard an aircraft.

Pelosi did not want to fly if there was a stop involved. Because of that she was unable to use the Speakers plane. When she indicated that she wouldn't fly on the plane if it wasn't nonstop she said that she would fly commercial. That would mean she would go to the airport like the rest of the Senators and House members. The seargant at arms indicated that the risk was unacceptable to him and he was the one that requested a new plane for the Speaker. She has said more than enough that she would be just as happy flying commercial and that there is no need to get her a new plane.

We as a country should consider getting a new plane for the Speaker. Think about it, in a world with as much risk as there is now would we want to have the Speaker of the House, or the Senate Majority Leader, people who are in the chain of command to assume the Presidency, risking national security by flying on less than the best planes? I'm thinking a 757 with in flight refuel capability is a minimum security consideration for those leaders, not an extravagance.

I disagree with her position on most things, but respect her position and the need to protect her.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffs386 View Post
maybe we should just stick to cars because the neocon bull**** is getting old!
It's real easy to ignore what you don't like. This is the proper place to post these topics.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 01:40 AM

Sounds like alot of BS and no facts floating around on this one... In fact, I'm trying to get a handle of what is really happening here myself...

Here are some news links that might help educate ourselves...

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=2858225
http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe...ion=cnn_latest

Quote:
Sgt.-at-arms says he requested larger plane for Pelosi
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- House Sergeant at Arms Bill Livingood said Thursday it was his decision to request a larger plane that could travel cross-country non-stop for House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's use, dousing conservative claims that the speaker herself wanted a larger, more expensive plane for herself and her family.

"The fact that Speaker Pelosi lives in California compelled me to request an aircraft that is capable of making non-stop flights for security purposes, unless such an aircraft is unavailable," Sergeant at Arms Bill Livingood, who has been at his post for 11 years, said in a written statement.
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIP...08/cnr.05.html
Quote:
And again, just to say, after September 11th, the attacks, the Pentagon agreed to provide the speaker with -- whoever the speaker was with a military plane for added security during trips back home. And the former speaker of the House, Dennis Hastert, used a smaller commuter-size plane, but again, Dennis Hastert doesn't have to refuel to get back to Illinois. Nancy Pelosi would have to refuel on the smaller plane to get to San Francisco.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_a_betterperson View Post
You mean Glenn Beck, right? And who is he and the AP quoting? Oh, an unnamed source. Great. Is there a tape of her making such a request? An e-mail or memo? Or is this some kind of gross distortion where nothing of the sort was ever said? I really wish Congress would sit down and take care of our country's business instead of pulling stunts like this.

http://www.nbc4.tv/politics/10966842/detail.html

Yes, Glenn Beck, Not the author. I meant Glenn. I'm just stating what is all over the news. It was on MSNBC again last night with Keith Olberman who ran this. He's reporting what others are saying and chiming in, it is stated she wants to be able to fly family members and supporters of hers to events. Lou Dobbs had a whole segment on it as well. Her "request" as "reported" has been sitting dormant in the Washington post for publication. Someone "leaked" out the request according to those reporting this.

I am no Pelosi fan. What amazes me is, this news being reported about this is coming from Far Left news sources. Sources that are or "were" her supporters. If this is all made up to make her look foolish, and it's coming from media supporters of hers who are reporting this and not substantiating the credibility of this, it's a perfect example of the furthering divide going on by our leaders.

The real war being raged is between Republican's and Democrats, not Freedom and terrorism.

www.gtoaa.org

Last edited by GTO JUDGE; 02-10-2007 at 08:53 AM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Sounds like alot of BS and no facts floating around on this one... In fact, I'm trying to get a handle of what is really happening here myself...

Here are some news links that might help educate ourselves...

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=2858225
http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe...ion=cnn_latest

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIP...08/cnr.05.html
Good to see you and I agree on something other than high powered sports cars. Your links back up what I had heard. Pelosi did offer to fly commercial, but that is a risk that, no matter who the speaker is, should not happen to someone in the line to ascend to the Presidency should something happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in