Random Thoughts - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
 
fergyflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Eustis Fl.
Posts: 3,445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Random Thoughts

It's a shame the 4.6L Mustang GT gets such lousy mileage. They are actually a pretty good value with the 2010 car and would make a nice DD. A C6 Corvette weighs 300 pounds less makes more than 100 hp more and gets much better mileage.

The Government is trying to spend it's way out of this recession. I'm thinking since all the money it gets comes from the people and has to be taken out of the economy first, isn't that like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle??? The only way it isn't like that is if the government prints money which is a loan to itself, or borrows money. Those two things cause inflation if the economy recovers, the inflation will kill the recovery.

A Dodge Charger with the 5.7L Hemi runs a 14.4 1/4 mile. The car makes 355 hp. When you add 70 hp and about 70lbs in weight, how is it that a SRT8 can then run the 1/4 in claimed times of low 13's and even some say high 12's??? The math doesn't favor that being possible.

Everyone is talking about global warming. Has anybody heard anything about the last two years, 2008 and 2009. Last year was one of the coolest years since the early 80's. In the 70's and the early 80's we were talking about global cooling and the coming ice age. Pollution was causing the earth to cool. Same people now say it's causing the earth to fry. Which is it and why are they right this time??? Why is no one talking about how cool this year, 2009 is???

What do all these cars have in common??? The Honda Civic SI, VW GTI, Honda Civic SI Mugen, Subaru WRX, Mazda RX8, Dodge Charger SRT8 Infiniti G37S, Mini Cooper John Cooper Works, Lotus Elise SC, Dodge Challenger SRT8, Mazdaspeed3, Honda S2000 CR, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Coupe, *****(HERE COME THE BIG GUNS)**** Audi S5, Lexus ISF, BMW 135i, Mistsubishi Lancer Evo MR and Ford Mustang GT. Look down for the answer.

The US Post Office does a decent job with the mail. If we opened it up to private competition and required a flat rate for postage for a first class letter to anywhere in the US, does anybody think that Fed Ex and UPS would do as good or better for less money??? In the age of the internet is the Post Office still as important as it was for communication 50 years ago???

The Chevy Cobalt SS Turbo is faster around Virginia International Raceway than theose cars. That's right, cheap little Chevy is 2 full seconds faster than a S2000 on a racetrack. Front drive and all.

The Military. Other than that can anybody think of something the Government does better than private industry does??? Why then do we want to give them more responsibility, like health care???

What do these cars have in common????? BMW M6, Porsche Cayman S, Ford Shelby GT500, Mercedes Benz C63 AMG, Jaguar XKR, Porsche 911 Carrera S, Porsche 911 Turbo, BMW M3, Lotus Exige S 260 Sport and the Audi R8.

They all get beat at VIR by the Cadillac CTS-V.

Now throw in the Porsche 911 GT3, Dodge Viper SRT10 (not the ACR), Ford GT, Audi RS5.2 and the vaunted Nissan GT-R and they all have something in common, they get beat by a lowly Chevy Corvette Grandsport at VIR.

For half the price or in some cases less, GM kills the big dogs and gets no respect doing it. If the Corvette had a Porsche badge it would be a Godlike car that cost 140,000 and had a bit nicer interior. Why don't we Americans respect American products??? Why do we feel inferior when we are superior and why do we feel the need to appologize for being the greatest country in the world.

Rant off!!!!
fergyflyer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator
 
GTO JUDGE's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 8,433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
"why do we feel the need to appologize for being the greatest country in the world."

In a nutshell: The commander and chief studied Marxism and idolized those who wrote what he studied. Hes surrounded himself with those who share his ideals. With it comes an "ashamedment" of the values and core principals of what this country stands for and was founded on. It goes against the ideals the commander and chief studied. The "fundamentally changing of the United States of America" as touted in his PLEDGES the majority of the country voted for is under way and with it comes a certain disdain he feels. The reshaping of this country is to be passive, tolerant, and reverend to all countries as his pledge is NO country should dominate or be better than the other. This isn't me stating this, this is in his own credence. He wants all countries to be on a level playing field.

What that does is diminish all the greatness the USA stands for. It devalues (in his eyes) his belief that we have more than anyone. What is neglected is: the USA shares its wealth all over the world aiding lesser fortunate countries and even those who suffer catastrophes. So apologizing lets the world know we are sorry we have more than you, we are sorry we stand for democracy we "were" sorry for our capitalist nature but are vastly rectifying it. He took a pledge to uphold, preserve, and defend the constitution. What I have seen is him apologizing for it, trying to overhaul and change MANY aspects of it, and weaken it. The world looks to the USA as a pillar of strength, our adversaries now view us as weak. The greatest show on earth is about to get underway in New York City with the clandestine trial of Bush, Cheney and the CIA while in the meantime showcasing to our sworn enemies that they have the same rights as Americans do as they watch their comrades promote their cause in a trial that this constitution never intended for enemies of the state. If this whole charade backfires on this administration will he apologize to us?

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org



Last edited by GTO JUDGE; 12-29-2009 at 08:21 AM.
GTO JUDGE is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 07:55 AM
 
jpalamar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Boyertown, PA
Posts: 3,765
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
GM cars are much better then people know.

2003 Corvette Z06 - MGW shifter, Corsa X pipe, Corsa Xtreme exhaust, Texas Speed long tubes w/o cats, PowerStop rotors/pads, Conti DWS tires, C6Z51 F&R sways, C5R headlights, tuned

04 GTO - sold
jpalamar is offline  
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator
 
GTO JUDGE's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 8,433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
The FEDS want cars similar to the European ones. Many of those European cars are pathetic. The Smart Car and those types: IMO its a POS. It may have merit in Europe but not here. Safety and regulations are vastly different from USA to Europe. We rely more on cars here than over there. Over there rail, bicycles, and scooters are heavily relied on. The cost of fuel there is higher. Its a different way of life here but the FEDS want to bring that "style" here and it goes far beyond transportation. Scooters, small unsafe cars mixing in with cars that are not common place in Europe has here. Fatalities here will climb but at least those who are statistics will die knowing they "helped save" the earth.

We are sacrificing safety for GREEN. There is NO way smart type cars would pass safety tests back in the 60's-70's. Ralph Nadar led the charge against cars like the Beetle, and the Corvair. Where is he today? People here are being indoctrinated with European values. Their culture is not the same as here yet we are being brainwashed into accepting it and more integration is being levied on us. Before you know it and it us underway.... We will be common Socialists. Its happening at warp speed. The need to HURRY HURRY HURRY get bills passed before an uprising takes place will inbred the values on everyone. The healthcare TAKEOVER not overhaul cannot be repealed once its set. Our future transportation mode will be a reflection of Europe's.
Our culture is changing before our eyes. Maybe our paradigm is not such a bad thing.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org


GTO JUDGE is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 01:59 PM
 
ppurfield001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fort Mill, SC
Posts: 779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fergyflyer View Post
It's a shame the 4.6L Mustang GT gets such lousy mileage. They are actually a pretty good value with the 2010 car and would make a nice DD. A C6 Corvette weighs 300 pounds less makes more than 100 hp more and gets much better mileage.

The Government is trying to spend it's way out of this recession. I'm thinking since all the money it gets comes from the people and has to be taken out of the economy first, isn't that like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle??? The only way it isn't like that is if the government prints money which is a loan to itself, or borrows money. Those two things cause inflation if the economy recovers, the inflation will kill the recovery.

A Dodge Charger with the 5.7L Hemi runs a 14.4 1/4 mile. The car makes 355 hp. When you add 70 hp and about 70lbs in weight, how is it that a SRT8 can then run the 1/4 in claimed times of low 13's and even some say high 12's??? The math doesn't favor that being possible.

Everyone is talking about global warming. Has anybody heard anything about the last two years, 2008 and 2009. Last year was one of the coolest years since the early 80's. In the 70's and the early 80's we were talking about global cooling and the coming ice age. Pollution was causing the earth to cool. Same people now say it's causing the earth to fry. Which is it and why are they right this time??? Why is no one talking about how cool this year, 2009 is???

What do all these cars have in common??? The Honda Civic SI, VW GTI, Honda Civic SI Mugen, Subaru WRX, Mazda RX8, Dodge Charger SRT8 Infiniti G37S, Mini Cooper John Cooper Works, Lotus Elise SC, Dodge Challenger SRT8, Mazdaspeed3, Honda S2000 CR, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Coupe, *****(HERE COME THE BIG GUNS)**** Audi S5, Lexus ISF, BMW 135i, Mistsubishi Lancer Evo MR and Ford Mustang GT. Look down for the answer.

The US Post Office does a decent job with the mail. If we opened it up to private competition and required a flat rate for postage for a first class letter to anywhere in the US, does anybody think that Fed Ex and UPS would do as good or better for less money??? In the age of the internet is the Post Office still as important as it was for communication 50 years ago???

The Chevy Cobalt SS Turbo is faster around Virginia International Raceway than theose cars. That's right, cheap little Chevy is 2 full seconds faster than a S2000 on a racetrack. Front drive and all.

The Military. Other than that can anybody think of something the Government does better than private industry does??? Why then do we want to give them more responsibility, like health care???

What do these cars have in common????? BMW M6, Porsche Cayman S, Ford Shelby GT500, Mercedes Benz C63 AMG, Jaguar XKR, Porsche 911 Carrera S, Porsche 911 Turbo, BMW M3, Lotus Exige S 260 Sport and the Audi R8.

They all get beat at VIR by the Cadillac CTS-V.

Now throw in the Porsche 911 GT3, Dodge Viper SRT10 (not the ACR), Ford GT, Audi RS5.2 and the vaunted Nissan GT-R and they all have something in common, they get beat by a lowly Chevy Corvette Grandsport at VIR.

For half the price or in some cases less, GM kills the big dogs and gets no respect doing it. If the Corvette had a Porsche badge it would be a Godlike car that cost 140,000 and had a bit nicer interior. Why don't we Americans respect American products??? Why do we feel inferior when we are superior and why do we feel the need to appologize for being the greatest country in the world.

Rant off!!!!


Agree with everything said above. But the people in control of OUR government think that government can do things better than the private sector. The private sector is not perfect, but when has the government done a better job, especially when estimating the costs of various programs (i.e., Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, local government welfare, etc.)?

It's easy folks. Get involved in the Nov. 2010 elections and let's try to get some independent thinkers elected. The Republicans are almost as bad as the Democrats. People across this great nation of our should focus on electing private sector supporters in their own states and should also focus on getting Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi thrown out for good measure. I'm going to be working hard in Connecticut to get Senator Chris Dodd and Congressman Jim Himes booted. Get involved and let's get this country moving in the right direction again.

Enough is enough!

ppurfield001 is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 02:19 PM
 
jpalamar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Boyertown, PA
Posts: 3,765
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is a few simple steps to help get America back on track again. Yes, it soudns harse, but what choices do we have when we don't have cash?

1. stop allowing immigrants into the country since there is no job market
2. everyone with work Visa's should be given 90 days to return to their home country, pending some speciality jobs that may not be able to be filled. Amernicans work in America and spend the money here, not send it oversea's to help other countries economies
3. stop sending aid to other countries except it dreastic desasters; don't help countries that can't self sustain
4. get rid of deficit by only spending money avail on hand, none of this 'putting stuff on credit' crap.
5. bring most of our troops home. We don't need to be in X amount of countries doing nothing. If their people won't fight for themselfs why should we fight for them. Let them live like dogs if thats the life they are willing to accept.

*6. I SAY THIS WITH A GRAIN OF SALT AS THIS COULD FAIL BIG TIME BUT COULD ALSO HELP PAY DOWN THE DEFICIT ALOT TOO--- legalize drugs and tax the crap out of it. Make the crime so horrible for people with illegal substances that they will not even wanna buying it on the streets. Anything we size illegally sell it and tax it back to the people. No matte what we do, people will also use, so why not profit from their dumb asses?

2003 Corvette Z06 - MGW shifter, Corsa X pipe, Corsa Xtreme exhaust, Texas Speed long tubes w/o cats, PowerStop rotors/pads, Conti DWS tires, C6Z51 F&R sways, C5R headlights, tuned

04 GTO - sold
jpalamar is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator
 
GTO JUDGE's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 8,433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar View Post
This is a few simple steps to help get America back on track again. Yes, it soudns harse, but what choices do we have when we don't have cash?

1. stop allowing immigrants into the country since there is no job market
2. everyone with work Visa's should be given 90 days to return to their home country, pending some speciality jobs that may not be able to be filled. Amernicans work in America and spend the money here, not send it oversea's to help other countries economies
3. stop sending aid to other countries except it dreastic desasters; don't help countries that can't self sustain
4. get rid of deficit by only spending money avail on hand, none of this 'putting stuff on credit' crap.
5. bring most of our troops home. We don't need to be in X amount of countries doing nothing. If their people won't fight for themselfs why should we fight for them. Let them live like dogs if thats the life they are willing to accept.

*6. I SAY THIS WITH A GRAIN OF SALT AS THIS COULD FAIL BIG TIME BUT COULD ALSO HELP PAY DOWN THE DEFICIT ALOT TOO--- legalize drugs and tax the crap out of it. Make the crime so horrible for people with illegal substances that they will not even wanna buying it on the streets. Anything we size illegally sell it and tax it back to the people. No matte what we do, people will also use, so why not profit from their dumb asses?
Interesting

1. stop allowing immigrants .... Illegals have been accepted into our society. Sanctuary cities protect from many felonious crimes and from deportation. The ACLU goes to bat for them. We pay for their legal representation. Democrats have been the ally for illegals, they want illegals to be able to vote. They think by doing so Demos will control the house and the senate forever thus eliminating the 2 party system. We have seen what happens when there is no filibusters when it comes to passing law. Look how fast the health care package was force-fed to us. The Demos controlled it all. There wasn't enough republicans to stop it. This is dangerous, there is no checks and balance system.

2. everyone with work Visa's should be given 90 days to return ..... Amnesty is built into this healthcare package. This is a slap in the face to those who came here legally and followed the rules. This amnesty will benefit law breaking illegals and promote more criminal entries to the states. There is no stopping it. BOTH sides have turned a deaf eye to this over the years.

3. stop sending aid to other countries except it dreastic desasters ...... We are becoming one of those countries. China now owns us. They are now dictating to us. With our A rated credit in dire straits and in us in jeopardy of losing it interest rates will soar like we have never seen this will lead to accelerated bankruptcy of our nation.

4. get rid of deficit by only spending money avail on hand ......This is perhaps the biggest joke: Just the Halthcare package alone will add 800 billion to the deficit and that forecast is a ball park figure. Their projections of everything they have spent has been underestimated according to those in the profession monitoring the financials of this country. Our debt is in the trillions and the FEDS raised the ceiling again. They have spent like drunkin sailors and there is no end in site. They honestly believe taking our children and grandchildren's future will actually benefit us. Money is being spent as fast as the mint is making it. Hyper inflation is coming.

5. bring most of our troops home. ......That would be fantastic. Problem is we are now viewed as weak and our advisories are stepping up their nuclear ambitions. Iran is on a quest to rule the world so their IMAM will manifest himself and the free world leaders are not taking them serious. Instead of talking tough and taking the lead in TOUGH sanctions, our leaders honestly don't know what to do. They thought being nice and polite will sway them. They were warned it wouldn't work, they have no plan B. Korea is selling to Iran, Russia is selling to Iran. Iran is selling to Chavez etc etc etc, Nuclear warheads are aimed at US installations our government is dismantling nuclear warheads in the East leaving our friends there more vulnerable. Its not so much the technology has changed and those nukes are no longer needed, they are a symbol and that symbol is being removed. While our enemies are gaining power we are relinquishing our might.

6. legalize drugs and tax the crap out of it........ Legalization of pot is spreading, San Francisco is a prime example of what happens when many walk around stoned. As spaced out as our government leaders are could you imagine them making law while stoned? Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing. LOL. Pot has been determined to lead to more serious drug abuse I can only imagine Woodstock 1969 in all the states 24/7 as the norm.
Taxation? Everything is going to be taxed. It has to be to pay for the sins of our leaders. Every medical apparatus now will be taxed. We will be taxed as soon as the healthcare bill is signed by the President. We will be paying taxes 4 years on this before healthcare is actually implemented.

This all has to be just a bad dream

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org


GTO JUDGE is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 06:16 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's nice to see there's freedom-minded people out there.
Poncho Dan is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
 
fergyflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Eustis Fl.
Posts: 3,445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho Dan View Post
It's nice to see there's freedom-minded people out there.
fergyflyer is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
 
fergyflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Eustis Fl.
Posts: 3,445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar View Post
This is a few simple steps to help get America back on track again. Yes, it soudns harse, but what choices do we have when we don't have cash?

1. stop allowing immigrants into the country since there is no job market
2. everyone with work Visa's should be given 90 days to return to their home country, pending some speciality jobs that may not be able to be filled. Amernicans work in America and spend the money here, not send it oversea's to help other countries economies
3. stop sending aid to other countries except it dreastic desasters; don't help countries that can't self sustain
4. get rid of deficit by only spending money avail on hand, none of this 'putting stuff on credit' crap.
5. bring most of our troops home. We don't need to be in X amount of countries doing nothing. If their people won't fight for themselfs why should we fight for them. Let them live like dogs if thats the life they are willing to accept.

*6. I SAY THIS WITH A GRAIN OF SALT AS THIS COULD FAIL BIG TIME BUT COULD ALSO HELP PAY DOWN THE DEFICIT ALOT TOO--- legalize drugs and tax the crap out of it. Make the crime so horrible for people with illegal substances that they will not even wanna buying it on the streets. Anything we size illegally sell it and tax it back to the people. No matte what we do, people will also use, so why not profit from their dumb asses?
Even the ones I disgaree with I'm still more in line with you than not. Some great ideas.

1. I disagree. I think we should continue to allow immigrants that bring value to our country. We should allow intelligent, hard working people to experience the opportunity that is America. But that is a limited number. Illegals need to go.

2. I disagree. See above, there are certain people that will benefit this country and they should be allowed into the US. We should encourage people to come here that are willing to contribute to making our country better.

3. I disagree to an extent. We get great benefits by helping some countries. We should send foriegn aid to those countries and where disasters hit. We need to take the money we send in foriegn aid and use it to help people here.

4 and 5. If we froze our spending at current levels, we could balance the budget in about 5 years. It would take us more than 25 to pay off our debt. How about looking at things we don't need. The department of education is a duplicate of one each and every state has. Eliminate the federal department. The department of energy was established to lower our dependence on foriegn oil. It's failed. Eliminate it. Welfare, public assistance, et al.... Put a lifetime limit of five years on public assistance/ aid to familes. This would be a hand up not a hand out. Bringing our troops back might be a good idea in some cases, but in others we need to look at national security. We need to make it mandatory that all persons serve 2 years in the military. From 18-20. No college deferments, no special elite privleges. The government would then think twice about sending kids to war when the rich and famous and their kids will be the ones fighting. The people will be more involved if it's their kids, nephews nieces and such fighting.

6. Personal responsibility. If you use drugs and ruin your life you will pay the price. Regulate them and tax them, but let people make the smart choice. It works with alcohol, it will work with other drugs too.

7. The US government is the largest landlord and the largest landowner in the world. If we would sell 10% of our land holdings then we would be able to pay off our total national debt. The people that bought this land would develope it. In developing it there would be new roads, new buildings and tons of economic activity. This would end the recession. Our tax base would increase and we would have a surplus since we wouldn't need to pay interest on our debt. This would allow us to have a tax cut. That would spur more economic activity.

8. Refocus our tax priorities. When this nation was founded the federal government got all of it's income from import tarriffs. We need to rethink our tax system. We need to reduce our income tax burden by increasing our import tarriffs. This will spur a buy America movement since our goods will be cheaper. This will increase our employment. We also need to eliminate corporate income tax so companies will relocate here. With no Corporate income tax, American companies will be able to produce goods for less and sell more over seas. We would need to make sure our import tarriffs were in line with other countries to avoid trade wars. We could supplement the tax shortfall with a small sales tax on non essential items.
fergyflyer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wheel thoughts REDGTO89 Wheels and tires 8 04-28-2009 07:09 AM
cheap ebay distributors... any thoughts??? royboy74 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Technical and Electrical Wiring 5 04-06-2009 05:12 PM
Your Opinion, Second Thoughts GM4life 2004-2006 GTO General Discussion 34 01-04-2009 11:48 AM
Thoughts on American Racing Headers PDQ GTO Intake and Exhaust Discussions 9 01-02-2008 11:45 AM
Thoughts on elections? kegbelly The Lounge 22 11-12-2006 07:58 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome