This really is fun times - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This really is fun times

Today I turned 58, yes it,s true. But you know, I really don,t feel my age cause I have really good health and a great wife. It's wierd knowing that I bought my first GTO almost 37 years ago and I'm getting ready to buy my second one real soon. A couple of points I'd like to mention. It's great seeing so many younger guys/gals having these cars. My 1968 cost me 3,500 dollars new, now they are 35,000. Now that I'm getting up there in age a few of my friends asked if I was getting an A4 figuring that I'd say yes. But it's a no brainer for me cause I just love the thrill and rush that I get from going thru the gears. Besides, when I can't handle it anymore, I'll be giving it to my son anyway.
Yes I wouldn't mind being 28 but as someone once said, "it is what it is" and I'm still having lots of fun and feel almost like a kid again. Thanks all, I just needed to tell someone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 09:29 PM

Happy belated!(I'll be almost 17 in 2 weeks)haha

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 06:04 AM

Now only if you had that 1968 still. The latest Barrett-Jackson car auction just amazed me and how much some of those cars went for. Granted, those were the cream of the crop. But, as the Baby Boomer generation ages (gracefully we all hope) this will further push the demand for some of the old muscle cars of the day.

Here wishing I had an extra $25K to invest because for the moment, these old muscle cars seem to be a very good investment right now.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 05:05 PM

I'll be turning 52 next Tuesday and I have never owned a GTO before now, but then again I never owned 2 Chevy Avalanches, a 76 Corvette, and a 90 Blazer...oh yea and a 98 Olds Intrique (letting my mother in law us it in PA).

Some people say it's a mid life crisis, I say I just couldn't afford them till now!

Mike
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchmeifucan
Now only if you had that 1968 still. The latest Barrett-Jackson car auction just amazed me and how much some of those cars went for. Granted, those were the cream of the crop. But, as the Baby Boomer generation ages (gracefully we all hope) this will further push the demand for some of the old muscle cars of the day.

Here wishing I had an extra $25K to invest because for the moment, these old muscle cars seem to be a very good investment right now.
I just sold my 68 a couple of months ago to someone who does restorations, and I gave alot of thought about keeping the car and getting it done myself or buying an 05 but it came down to I'd rather have the technology of today than back then. Don't anybody take me the wrong way cause I really loved that car but there were to many faults with it compaired to todays GTO. I mean it drum brakes all around, and you might think the 04's stop poorly, just try to stop that brute from 80 mph. It was an adventure.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deftec
Happy belated!(I'll be almost 17 in 2 weeks)haha

Deftec,

Your signature picture shows signs of being older than you are or is this near an air museum? You might want to get it replaced with one where the background is a bit more up-to-date or at least in the era of your vehicle - some of those birds were made in the 50's. Those jets and props are golden oldies and I flew all but one of them. Where was this taken?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 08:26 AM
Tom

Got mine a few days before my 43rd. I have my 68 Firebird Convertible for sale. No time to DE/AutoX the Porsche, enjoy the baby, and finish the restoration of the Firebird, which will need to be redone about five minutes after this 20 year project is completed.

I bought my 68 in 76 when I was 14. Let them go for the big bucks at Barrett Jackson, I am happy to let another caretaker have my car.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno'sGoat
Today I turned 58, yes it,s true. But you know, I really don,t feel my age cause I have really good health and a great wife. It's wierd knowing that I bought my first GTO almost 37 years ago and I'm getting ready to buy my second one real soon. A couple of points I'd like to mention. It's great seeing so many younger guys/gals having these cars. My 1968 cost me 3,500 dollars new, now they are 35,000. Now that I'm getting up there in age a few of my friends asked if I was getting an A4 figuring that I'd say yes. But it's a no brainer for me cause I just love the thrill and rush that I get from going thru the gears. Besides, when I can't handle it anymore, I'll be giving it to my son anyway.
Yes I wouldn't mind being 28 but as someone once said, "it is what it is" and I'm still having lots of fun and feel almost like a kid again. Thanks all, I just needed to tell someone.
This is just awesome that something as simple as a car can bring back that kid feeling to the BabyBoomer generation. I can't wait to see what life has in store 30 years from now, today I saw a brand new Z06, of course the guy look about 60 and I was heading the opposite direction so I couldn't race up to give him the thumbs up but this posts makes me really rethink how fortunate I am to not only have one but two goats in my arsenal. Just out of curiousity, the local GTO Club in my area is made of older members with original goats and they told me that my goat is not a real goat...given you just sold your '68 to buy an '05 what do you have to say about this?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 09:36 PM

sorry read that wrong, the pictures are just crappy(scanned, not digital), and wasn't really trying to go for a "same era" background

Last edited by deftec; 02-23-2005 at 09:40 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sboylan
This is just awesome that something as simple as a car can bring back that kid feeling to the BabyBoomer generation. I can't wait to see what life has in store 30 years from now, today I saw a brand new Z06, of course the guy look about 60 and I was heading the opposite direction so I couldn't race up to give him the thumbs up but this posts makes me really rethink how fortunate I am to not only have one but two goats in my arsenal. Just out of curiousity, the local GTO Club in my area is made of older members with original goats and they told me that my goat is not a real goat...given you just sold your '68 to buy an '05 what do you have to say about this?
Let me tell you one thing for sure, the 05 Goat is really a great representation of the 68 that I had. Plus it has so much more to offer an owner by way of ride comfort, handling, stopping, raw power, more standard features, better wheels, leather seats, plus the 05 would just blow away my 68 off the line and kill it on top end. It's a much better car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in