Reno Air Races '05 Mega-Post w/ Pix **56k Pain** - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reno Air Races '05 Mega-Post w/ Pix **56k Pain**

(Nope- no GTOs here...though I did enter a drawing for a "1964 GTO" --which I think was actually a Tempest -- while there this past weekend. I just thought you all would like to see pix of the world's fastest motorsport: The Gold Unlimited winner, the highly modified Bearcat Rare Bear, was clocked at 466 mph on Sunday!

This is a post in THREE parts as it choked this site)

Welcome to KRNO (that's Reno-Stead Airport, dammit) and the 2005 National Championship Air Races!!

Ah, that's better.

WTF is that noise? It smells like backbacon and Molsons around here...

Actually, the Snowbirds were incredible...they were much, much more precise & graceful than the Thunderbirds.

The Super Corsair put on an amazing show.

I can't wait to see this Martin-Baker MB.5 replica fly. He's seeking sponsors, BTW, so throw money as you go by.

The Vietnam era was well represented by some very sexay aircraft...none racing. Bummer. I'd love to see that E-model Skyraider rounding the pylons.

OK, enough mucking about. Time to check out the pits....*sniff*...OK, done...good thing I put extra deoderant on.

OK, into the racing pits now.

The Sea Furies are amazing birds...incredible sound, and they reportedly beat up the air worse than anything on the course.

***CONTINUED ON NEXT POST***

Last edited by Groucho; 09-21-2005 at 10:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

I love the F7F Tigercat...Big Bossman was flown very competitively for the Heat races, only to flounder somewhat in the Silver. It's a huge airplane in comparison to all the others out there...even the hulking Sea Furies look tiny in comparison. And...Oh...that sound....

Here's the Sexy Beast close up- and the F7F is just behind. :-)

As much as I loved the F7F, the T-6 Texan Lickety Split has a certain appeal...

I never knew GTODEALER's girlfriend is a race pilot!

The P-51A Polar Bear has a facsinating history...pulled off the sllopes of Alaska, and rebuilt with a D-model wing, she was very competitive.

Voodoo is another all time fave....but she blew parts of her Merlin over the sage on Thursday during qualifying. BTW, look closely at the skimpy pieces of cloth under the work stand- those aren't shop rags.

***CONTINUED ON NEXT POST***

Last edited by Groucho; 09-21-2005 at 10:45 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

I had to buy one of Team Voodoo's T-Shirts- "Our Drinking Team has an Air Race Problem."

I also bought a Voodoo hat, a Rare Bear hat (awesome airplane), a Rare bear polo shirt, a shirt for my wife that reads "My Husband is a Pilot, my Next One Will Be Normal," another shirt from a team that operates both a P-51D and an F-86A that reads "Twelvepack and a Smoke."

Total price: the total GDP of Uganda. At least we brought our own beers.

My friend Jon Sharp's new design, the Nemesis NXT, is still experiencing teething problems in the design's second year in Sport Class. John was experiencing gear door buffet at 300KIAS, and DNFed during the Gold race. It was cool to get the inside scoop on the goings-on...these guys take racing very seriously. There is now bad blood between the NXT guys and old airrace vet Darryl Greenameyer. This is the first kitbuilt airframe.

Jon used to pwnz all in F1 Class with Nemesis, now-retired to the NASM. This little beauty has picked up the crown nicely, however.

Jet Class, racing all L-39s, is cool. Love this nose art.

Nice nose art on this Pitts, a biplane Class competitor, as well.

I had a great time with my other buddies who have terminal aerogeekism....but three days in the sun and wind sitting on wooden bleachers was a bit too long. I have a couple more pix, but this posting took far too long.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 10:50 AM

I love the sound of the rolls royce
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 11:11 AM

Now that is cool.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by westell
I love the sound of the rolls royce
The Merlin is sweet, but you haven't truly lived until you've heard the twin Pratt & Whitney R-2800-34W Double Wasps (each pumping over 2,100 hp with water injection) of the Grumman F7F "Big Bossman" at full howl...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 02:17 PM

Did the Reno Air Races many years ago. It was a hoot! Felt like I was back in the 1930's. Everybody there was really, really nice.

Hopefully, the land developers will stay far away -- nothing worse than a bunch of people moving in next to an airfield or race track -- then bitch about the noise.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 03:23 PM

.....my girlfriend.... hahahahaha.... very awesome pics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in