subaru STI - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
subaru STI

Coming home from work today, I ran across a punk in a blue sabaru impreza wrx sti. The thing had a rear fin on it that was twice as tall as the car, lol. The guy sneared at me and buzzed by me (it was a beautiful day out today, in the 80's, and I had my windows down with no shades on and made sure I gave him full eye contact as he went by) but we were in the middle of town with heavy morning traffic and I wasn't about to go fast and furious tokyo drift. I've read several posts on here about how vicious these things are and that we should look the other way when one comes. What gives? I'm at the soob website now and they got 293 hp and 290 lbs. of torque? Their starting price is 33,495, almost identical to a goat's. From what I'm seeing here, they don't impress me much. Please shed some light on this ricer kit car looking thing they call an STI. Thanks.
Dustin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 12:24 PM

while the appearance of the car my be an aquired taste, you really cant argue with the performance stats. 0-60 anywhere from between 4.5 seconds to 5 seconds depending on what article you read. 300hp might not sound like a lot, but when you put it in a light car that has awd (which automatically equals perfect traction, no spinning on launch) and very very tight handling, you have a car that can easily embarass cars that are 3 times the cost. if the sti is too ricey looking, look up the sti limited, it looks a lot more subtle but with the same performance
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

But.........will they beat us?
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyminpin View Post
But.........will they beat us?
Depends on the driver. I've whipped them at the track and they've whipped me. I had one run low 12s against me but more commonly I see them in the high 13s. In stock form they'll stay pretty even with a Goat in the 1/4. They usually get the holeshot because of AWD.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdoro 68 View Post
Depends on the driver. I've whipped them at the track and they've whipped me. I had one run low 12s against me but more commonly I see them in the high 13s. In stock form they'll stay pretty even with a Goat in the 1/4. They usually get the holeshot because of AWD.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 03:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to MonaroGuy06
Stock for Stock..i think it depends on the driver of the GOAT! I've raced about 4 of em..off the line, they get about 1 - 1 1/2 cars on me, but as soon as I hit 2nd..Im passing them by..I usually beat the STI anywhere from 2-4 cars..depending on how good the STI driver is..yet to lose to one...Now an EVO MR...WATCH OUT! Consistant high 12's at the track...STOCK! doesn't look like much, but dam! But back to the STI...I've beat em at the track, and on the streets...BTW, I'm stock!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 03:40 PM

They are great if you want a truck like ride,4doors and racing seats in your 36,000 sports car. Personally when you can get a GTO or 04 Cobra in the mid-high 20's or a C6 for 3000 more is this really a option for someone outside of a slow and the frustated wannabe?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 05:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to squrtdog50
Funny thing. I work for a subaru dealer..lol. The owners asked why I bought the goat rather than the STI? I told him if I wanted a rough ride I would drive my 84 chevy p/u. I want a car that rides nice and will go for over 60,000 miles. Don't get me wrong these cars do go! But they lack in the high end. Go head ge the jump I'll catch up. If you don't pass them around 50-60mph your doing something wrong!

Think of it this way, it's a four banger. That gets a ton of abuse. These's no way it'll last as long as a v-8. I know from experience the trannys don't hold up. And every mod you do is just taking miles off the life of that lil' motor.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 05:43 PM
dizzy1

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Sti

No problem beating an STI on the street,, you can eat them for lunch every day, they will have the jump on you for the 1st 50 to 60 ft because they have ALL WHEEL Drive,, if you have the 6 speed,,just leave it in 1st for about 10 feet then short shift it in to 2nd and you will have them from there on.

If you have the 4 speed automatic,, just leave it in drive , get on the gas about 1/4 throttle, go about 50 ft and stick the peddle to the floor,, they do have 300 HP but because the power goes to ALL 4 wheels, their actual BHP, at the wheels HP is only about 240.. I seen one on a 4 wheel dyno and this one made 238 at the wheels
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 06:37 PM

The best is when they try and play on the interstate.STI vs a C5 Corvette and he wanted to go from a 50 roll....um sure man let me challange the fiberglass wedge to a highway pull with a 4dr AWD car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in