Thought I'd heard of it all- -WRONG - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thought I'd heard of it all- -WRONG

Chinese car company plans to bring popular MG back to USA!

That's the USA today article in today newspaper!

Chinese MG's! Bringing back a car that will compete price wise with the Miata, but will be an MG. And it's not going to be built in China, it will be built in Oklahoma!

Have I stepped into the Twilight Zone, or what? In the first place IMHO there is no equity in the MG name. Lucas Electric killed off any equity in that name.

As a person that's owned an MG, I have to ask "Why?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 06:35 PM

Yeah, heard about this yesterday, too.

The reason it will be built in the United States is that the state of Oklahoma no doubt kicked in a crapload of incentives to build a plant there, it's located right in the middle of the United States (still the biggest new car market in the world) and they will have, without a doubt, a non-union labor force.

If they stayed in the UK, they would have had to deal with their outrageous corporate taxes -- and British labor unions that make the UAW look eager and helpful.

I've never owned an MG -- but had the delightful experience of a Triumph TR-7 in high school. The doors would fly open under really hard cornering. Exciting.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 06:09 AM Thread Starter

MG- -let's see- - -

Electric fuel pump over the rear axle, with points that would freeze at any time, shutting the engine down. Owners manual states "If this happens tap the pump with a small hammer to free the points". Yeah, I like crawling up under a car in all kinds of weather with my hammer to tap my fuel pump!

Headlights that arbitrarily just decide to turn off- -

Windshield wipers that don't

I guess there are people that will buy them, but when there's a Miata out there at the same price, I have to ask, "Why?"
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 08:13 AM

Girlfriend had one in collage, was on jack stand more then on the road. It finally caught on fire and burned to the ground. The best part of this story, is when it caught fire, she pulled into a gas station for help, fortunatly, they let it burn...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 01:20 AM

friend of mine has a 72', if you pull the blinker stalk toward you it kills the engine...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 09:57 AM

Hey, just about 30 min. from the house. Think I could get a job on the design team?

'05 MBM 6sp
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 11:13 AM

I'm friends with a girl who's parents own one. They would let her drive it occasionally when we were in high school. I think it had a travel radius of about 10 miles before it would start to overheat. The body (her's and the car's ) looked great but mechanically it was a P.O.S.

My next door neighber owns a TR-7, a Spitfire and an old Mini. They're all pieces of crap. My entire neighborhood was elated when he finally built a separate garage to hide this junk. I have a tough time being around him as he lovingly speaks of his British junk but then talks sh!t about Jap cars. Somebody needs to get a clue!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in