Thoughts on elections? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thoughts on elections?

Anyone have any thoughts on the results of the midterm elections this week? Think the Dems will save the day or make things worse?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 08:23 PM

The President's approval ratings were in the toilet -- and Congress' were even lower -- so this stunning degree of change shouldn't have been a surprise.

Over the past few years, many people adopted an oversimplified "Republican/Conservative/Good, Democrat/Liberal/Bad" philosophy. It's what got Bush re-elected. However, the Republicans really got away from what they traditionally stood for: a small, fiscally responsible government that got things done. In fact, the only thing the term "conservative" really stood for were a series of wacky religious beliefs -- instead of a restricted approach to spending and legislation.

Look at the ridiculous drug plan the Republicans passed. The government pays full retail price for prescriptions, then distributes them to the public at a subsidized cost. A ridiculous plan straight out of the FDR administration -- with the multi-billion dollar tab going onto the national deficit -- which ballooned under Bush and a Republican Congress. That's a completely liberal piece of legislation -- but as long as Rush Limbaugh would shoot his mouth off and say Republicans/Conservative/Good and Democrats/Liberal/Bad -- the Republicans thought they could get away with it as long as empty headed nit-wits like my sister in law believed it.

Look at what the Republicans accomplished over the past 6 years with complete control of Washington: no oil drilling in the Pacific, a $58 a barrel tax on Brazilian methanol, continued funding of corn-based ethanol -- which is a complete joke -- and spending time on divisive, hateful stuff like a constitutional ban on gay marriage and jumping into the Terry Schiavo mess. And let's not forget about the rather iffy reasoning behind the invasion of Iraq -- and the complete mismanagement of it.

That kind of crap really turned me off -- along with Bush appointees like that clown who ran FERC, who turned a blind eye to the energy companies looting California during the energy shortages a few years ago. A small issue, yes, but symbolic in that the government no longer was capable of viewing right and wrong -- because the influence of outside money was so great -- blowing any sense of trust in the process.

Fortunately, a lot of the Democrats who got elected are quite conservative. Conservative in the fiscal sense. They really should help balance out the Republicans who were drunk on their own power. Will it be easy? Heck, no, as a lot a Democrats are total whack jobs -- just like some Republicans are.

Right now, everybody's playing nice. I hope they keep it up -- because this country needs to come up with a unified policy on Iraq, a real energy policy, a way of truly getting tough with the Chinese and other ruthless "trading partners" that are driving our middle class to the working class and the working class to poverty -- all while finding a way of cutting spending so we can begin paying down our nation's $8,600,000,000 credit card tab.

And before anybody begins to sling mud at me as some goofy California Democrat tree hugging liberal -- keep in mind that pretty much all of votes on Tuesday were for Republicans -- the old school, small government kind.

Last edited by b_a_betterperson; 11-10-2006 at 08:27 PM.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 09:15 PM

its about time!!
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 08:31 AM

I am guessing this was a referendum on Bush, not based on Democrat ideas...which I still don't know what those are...

What are their stands this year o:

Taxes?
Terrorism?
Immigration?

I am interested to see what they have to offer, I just didn't hear them talking about ideas.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
I followed Montgomery Brewsters advise.... I voted for none of the above.

I have been saying this and I do believe our next president will be Rudolph Guiliani.

I used to loath Newt Ginrich but I listen to him on Hannity and Colmes and he to me anyway, comes off as the sharpest of any guy in that arena. He states he as no intentions of running but who knows.

As much as Hilary is flapping her gums, I believe in the long run the country is not ready for a woman president. I think she will nose dive in time.

As far as black president hopefuls... I like Colin Powell, but he isn't running. If the Jessie Jackson and Al Sharptons yearn for a black president, Powell is the guy. I really like him. He would have the best chance of a "minority" becoming President.

Michigan elected the first Muslim in. This makes me uneasy. I have read his sentiments after he won. He sounds like FREAKACON even though he now says he's distanced himself from him. The radicals of that sect will target him to carry forth their agendas, and I wonder how long it will take him to succumb to the radical pressures. He's already preaching MORE MUSLIMS in congress. NOT MORE QUALIFIED leaders, MORE MUSLIMS.

I'd be concerned too if a "radial Catholic or radical Baptist" with their religion with ties to hatred against us were voted in.

I would tend to the think the FBI and CIA will be monitoring him.

I also think that the hatred shown to Republicans was so overwhelming that if Lucifer himself were running for office against Republican's, he's be voted in just because.

But what do I know......

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_a_betterperson View Post
The President's approval ratings were in the toilet -- and Congress' were even lower -- so this stunning degree of change shouldn't have been a surprise.

Over the past few years, many people adopted an oversimplified "Republican/Conservative/Good, Democrat/Liberal/Bad" philosophy. It's what got Bush re-elected. However, the Republicans really got away from what they traditionally stood for: a small, fiscally responsible government that got things done. In fact, the only thing the term "conservative" really stood for were a series of wacky religious beliefs -- instead of a restricted approach to spending and legislation.

Look at the ridiculous drug plan the Republicans passed. The government pays full retail price for prescriptions, then distributes them to the public at a subsidized cost. A ridiculous plan straight out of the FDR administration -- with the multi-billion dollar tab going onto the national deficit -- which ballooned under Bush and a Republican Congress. That's a completely liberal piece of legislation -- but as long as Rush Limbaugh would shoot his mouth off and say Republicans/Conservative/Good and Democrats/Liberal/Bad -- the Republicans thought they could get away with it as long as empty headed nit-wits like my sister in law believed it.

Look at what the Republicans accomplished over the past 6 years with complete control of Washington: no oil drilling in the Pacific, a $58 a barrel tax on Brazilian methanol, continued funding of corn-based ethanol -- which is a complete joke -- and spending time on divisive, hateful stuff like a constitutional ban on gay marriage and jumping into the Terry Schiavo mess. And let's not forget about the rather iffy reasoning behind the invasion of Iraq -- and the complete mismanagement of it.

That kind of crap really turned me off -- along with Bush appointees like that clown who ran FERC, who turned a blind eye to the energy companies looting California during the energy shortages a few years ago. A small issue, yes, but symbolic in that the government no longer was capable of viewing right and wrong -- because the influence of outside money was so great -- blowing any sense of trust in the process.

Fortunately, a lot of the Democrats who got elected are quite conservative. Conservative in the fiscal sense. They really should help balance out the Republicans who were drunk on their own power. Will it be easy? Heck, no, as a lot a Democrats are total whack jobs -- just like some Republicans are.

Right now, everybody's playing nice. I hope they keep it up -- because this country needs to come up with a unified policy on Iraq, a real energy policy, a way of truly getting tough with the Chinese and other ruthless "trading partners" that are driving our middle class to the working class and the working class to poverty -- all while finding a way of cutting spending so we can begin paying down our nation's $8,600,000,000 credit card tab.

And before anybody begins to sling mud at me as some goofy California Democrat tree hugging liberal -- keep in mind that pretty much all of votes on Tuesday were for Republicans -- the old school, small government kind.
Ditto what BA said.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 09:37 AM

There is one very good thing here. With Democrats controlling both houses, Bush can still veto. Maybe we will have gridlock. When government does mostly nothing it is always the best that could happen.

We have all the laws we need. We have way too much government in our life.

By the way if the government froze spending for 7 years to current levels the national debt would be gone.

Another option would be to sell off some federally owned land. The value of the land held by the federal government is over 30 trillion dollars. We could sell off 4% of the area and raise enough money to pay off the debt by choosing select high value sites. This would also stimulate economic activity which would increase tax revenues. They could always use another 2 or 3 ski resorts in Utah and Colorado. A couple more in Montana and Wyoming wouldn't hurt. Some land 10 miles from the Grand Canyon would open it up to more tourists and take some of the burden off the areas that are already open. This would benefit the canyon in the long run. California could use some more ski resorts. There is tons of federal land everywhere, we need to use it.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 10:48 AM

My thoughts are the we (Republicans) deserved to lose control. We have mismanaged the war, have had multiple scandals and are spending like liberals. The dems are saying that they will reach across the aisle to get things done. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! Soon, you will see the hearings on Iraq, Halliburton, Exxon/Mobile, etc. begin in Washington. There will be total gridlock and Bush will be forced to use his Veto. Voters will become so disgusted with the Dems that they will be swept out of office again in 2006. The Republican will win the next presidential ticket in 2006 with the McCain/Lieberman ticket.

"Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore."
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 12:57 PM

Who here really think the Republicans that had control of congress were really conservatives?

Personally, I think these guys cared less about conservative principles... They said what they needed to say to gain power and the GOP base bought it without any real scrutiny...

A good example of this is McCain -- a true conservative. He tried to be critical but I think the powers that be slapped him down... He weighed his best interests and decided to fall in line with the rest of the party... not sure what did it but I'm sure it was significant...

I always get skeptical when people start waving the flag... Almost always there is a truckload of BULLSHT that follows...

It is my hope the GOP purges itself of corruption... The country always works best when the power is shared... the populus view of the GOP right now is not good... like they won't have a majority for a long, long time...
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 01:28 PM

Republican....Democrat Conservative.....Liberal what a choice.

Let's see, we went from a President getting a ******* in the oval office to one who gave us a ****** about weapons of mass destruction in some sand pile of a country halfway around the world. Both have damaged the office.

We have senators lusting after teenage boys and peers ready to sweep it under the carpet.

It's painfully obvious that Washington is totally decadent and corrupt. Morally, ethically, politically, you name it. These people are there to serve themselves and the special interests that keep them in power. Pretty depressing really.

I don't see anyone on either side that isn't tainted. No one with new ideas. No one with commitment to ideals.

Of course apathy isn't the answer. But I don't see any candidates who weren't part of the problem or itching to be an "insider".

Last edited by Wing_Nut; 11-12-2006 at 11:16 AM. Reason: grammar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in