Top 10 Reasons California Is Better Than Texas - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Top 10 Reasons California Is Better Than Texas

When it comes to big states, there can only be one king (sorry, New York). The real competition comes down to California vs. Texas -- a battle of red vs. blue, good vs. evil, surfboards vs. 10-gallon hats, avocados vs. Texas toast.

Texas sucks. California is king. Here are 10 reasons to prove it.

No. 10 -- People Want to Come Here

Would you rather see the Golden Gate Bridge or the Alamo? How about Hollywood or the George Bush Presidential Library and Museum? The San Diego Zoo or the Fort Worth Zoo? People don't really visit Texas. You can only go to Cowboys Stadium so many times.

Come to California and see Yosemite, Fisherman's Wharf, Wine Country, Lake Tahoe, Disneyland, Joshua Tree, Alcatraz, the Gaslamp Quarter and Sequoia National Park.

In the mood to see it all, hop in the car and take the Pacific Coast Highway in any direction.

No. 9 -- Big States Don't Cry

When political life gets tough, we call emergency legislative sessions. We make tough cuts. If things are going south, we hold a recall election. Make fun of budget woes if you must, but we'll get through it -- and we'll do it with dignity.

When things get tough in Texas, Gov. Rick Perry throws a hissy fit and threatens to secede from the United States.

Grow up, Texas. Plus, Perry's just crying wolf.

No. 8 -- Our Waistlines Are Under Control

Everything in Texas is bigger -- including Texans.

When it comes to 2008 state obesity rates, Texas scored a 28.3. California scored 23.7.

Dear Texas, call us when your pants fit.

No. 7 -- Hit the Beach

Texas has a few beaches, sure. (We know, we know, 600 miles of shoreline.) But there's a reason we're famous for ours and they're not famous for theirs. The California coastline is host to the most beautiful beaches in the country. Dare we say it -- the world.

Plus, our best beaches are generally a short drive from where people actually live (think La Jolla, Malibu, Santa Barbara, Half Moon Bay). Texas' biggest claim to beach fame is probably South Padre Island, and while it is admittedly quite lovely, it's also a major spring break destination (yuck) and really difficult to get to.

No. 6 -- World's Toughest Governor

Despite Texas being the land of unadulterated machismo, our governor can beat up your governor. So, there.

No. 5 -- We Have Options

Californians have options. Getting bored of San Diego? Drive an hour and try Mexico. Got a case of the Sacramento blues, you're just moments away from Lake Tahoe.

Los Angeles not doing it for you? Within an hour's drive, Angelenos can hit mountains, the Pacific, or perhaps the desert. Not in the mood for those options? Extend your driving time and make a break for Vegas.

Oh, sweet Vegas. Seriously, Texas. Our neighbor is Las Vegas. Your neighbor: Oklahoma.

No. 4 -- Plenty of Eye Candy

Texans have gun racks. We've got guns. And racks.

We're hot, we know it and just in case, there are enough plastic surgeons here for every Californian to look gorgeous.

And if cosmetic surgery isn't your thing -- don't worry -- we have plenty of therapists too.

No. 3 -- We Actually Invent Stuff

Yes, Texas is enticing businesses away from California to its land of fewer tax headaches, but send us a telegram when Texas invents something.

Sure, it makes financial sense to set up shop in Texas, but the Lone Star State will always live in our innovation shadow. Google can put its headquarters anywhere in the world -- they put it in California. Apple, HP, Twitter, Intel, YouTube, MySpace, the Gap, eBay, Facebook, Levis -- companies that actually changed the way the world does business are in California.

We may not cut the best tax deals, but we have a lock on creativity.

We make movies, music, theatre and television. Hell, we invented blue jeans.

No. 2 -- It's All About the Weather

Texas wins! But only in the number of tornadoes, with an average of about 140 per year. Words like "Mediterranean" and "I can't believe it's January" are used to describe California weather. If you like cold, we have mountains for that, too. Arid, humid and "I miss California" are terms often used to describe Texas' weather.

No. 1 -- California Isn't Home to George W. Bush

We gave the world Ronald Reagan, and you gave us George W. Bush.

Worst. Trade. Ever.

Despite our pretty convincing case, Texas doesn't seem to agree. Check out the Lone Star State's arguments for supremacy on NBCDFW.com.

My Youtube Channel
Supercharged (Roots) 6.0 GTO
Supercharged (Twin Screw) 3.0 NSX
Supercharged (Centrifugal) 4.3 S-10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Here is a few reasons why California trails the rest of the country:

San Francisco and Gavin Newsome
A state so far out there in their agendas are cancerous.

You may despise George Bush...
But you got:

Nancy Pelosi

And by the way..... I don't see a bankrupt Texas. What I do see is every tax payer in the land helping bail out California.

Whomever wrote that paradox is a float in Kool-Aid

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 10:04 AM

Top 10 Reasons Wisconsin Is Better Than Everywhere Else

No. 10 -- People Don't Come Here

Where the hell is Wisconsin? Isn't it cold there? Who wants to go look at a bunch of cows and cheese?

No. 9 -- Big States Suffocate Under Their Own Weight

Wisconsin has been an industrious state since it's inception, with the largest number of machinists per capita. Unlike several of our neighbors, every last bit of arable land hasn't been bulldozed into subdivisions full of McMansions for John Q. Public to lose his ass on through the ARM he took out to buy the cookie cutter house.

No. 8 -- Our Waistlines Are Fine

You drink a thirdy case of beer every day, we'll see how you look der.

No. 7 -- Hit the Beach

Lake Michigan is cold. But that doesn't stop us from trout and salmon fishing. Or sailing.

No. 6 -- World's Greenest Governor

Has your state secured a sustainable, viable future with making international watershed pacts, protecting our most important resource, fresh water?

No. 5 -- We Have Options

Can't stand the city? Go north, young man. The farther you go, the more rural, and the more quiet, it gets.

No. 4 -- Plenty of Eye Candy

Get out of those filthy cities, and find yourself a few unmolested nature preserves and state parks. You don't have to go far.

No. 3 -- We Make the Worlds Best Beer

And it isn't Miller. Its the sleeper beers like Schlitz, Pabst, Huber Bock, Sand Creek, Sprecher, New Glarus, and so forth.

No. 2 -- It's All About the Weather

Where else in the world can you hit -40 and 105 in the same year? We enjoy ourselves no matter what... we did invent the snowmobile, after all.

No. 1 -- Wisconsin Isn't Home to anyone famous

Except for Ed Gein and Jeffrey Dahmer.
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO JUDGE View Post
Here is a few reasons why California trails the rest of the country:

San Francisco and Gavin Newsome
A state so far out there in their agendas are cancerous.

You may despise George Bush...
But you got:

Nancy Pelosi

And by the way..... I don't see a bankrupt Texas. What I do see is every tax payer in the land helping bail out California.

Whomever wrote that paradox is a float in Kool-Aid

Have to agree with you Judge. The "Peoples Republic of California" has many good qualities, but also has many issues, as follows: (i) Misguided (I'm being charitable) politicians (i.e., Nancy Pelosi, Harry Waxman, Maxine Waters, Barbara Boxer, and on and on.....); (ii) Ridiculous taxes that will eventually chase away business; (iii) Too many referendums that get nothing done (iv) Public school system that used to be Top Five and now is in the bottom third of the nation, (v) Leaky borders; and (vi) Earthquakes and mudslides.

post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppurfield001 View Post
........The "Peoples Republic of California" has many good qualities, but also has many issues....... Public school system that used to be Top Five and now is in the bottom third of the nation........ Earthquakes and mudslides.
API scores in my town is well above the national average.

Los Altos School District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In case you don't know, Los Altos is one of the few cities that is red in california. Just look at the average home price.

Los Altos Real Estate Market – August 2009 Update | Silicon Valley Real Estate Info

Still pretty good for the following reasons:
  • API scores near perfection
  • epi center of silicon valley
  • climate (write now it's 75F - no humidity)

Earthquakes? Last time it was anything news worthy was back in 1989. That's 20 years ago.

TX and other places get pummeled by more wraths of mother nature every year. Floods, Tornados, Hurricanes, and other extreme weather conditions.

I'm convinced that real estate prices really has more to do with climate than anything else.

Good climate attracts people that eventually attracts a talent pool where they create industry....

My Youtube Channel
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 01:12 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
My middel daughter and her husband mover to Cali a few years ago. Cost them a pile of cash to convert their car so they could get plates on it, housing costs were through the roof, grocries were higher, everything costs more. That only lasted 3 months and they moved back to Wisconsin.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Alot of people here that got in real estate prior to the Dot Com days are laughing about selling their homes around here and buying in places like WI and rolling in a Ferrari.......

My Youtube Channel
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 04:09 PM

Number One reason Every other state is better than cali......

87% of the population are NOT self-prentous *******s or jerks and srsly Cali has some of the dirties beaches.

ʞuıɥʇ noʎ ʇ,uop 'ǝɹɹɐzıq
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
California's license plate:

MEXIFORNIA
666-666
The State of the Sanctuary Cities

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJGTOWISH View Post
Number One reason Every other state is better than cali......

87% of the population are NOT self-prentous *******s or jerks and srsly Cali has some of the dirties beaches.
This is exactly why I don't participate in such a thread. It starts out 'fun and games' or 'tongue-in-cheek' but always seem to end up moving in this kind of direction. Did you mean 'self-pretentious'? (note spelling). How is the figure '87%' derived? Dirtiest beaches? Based on what research? I understand it's 'The Lounge' but, come on! I'm definately not here to toot California's horn but, to me, name calling always casts dispersions on he/she who is doing it rather than that which is being referred to. Everyone is entitled to his opinion but keep it real. (Climbing down off of soap box with nothing more to say on this subject)

2005 Pontaic GTO - CGM 6 Speed (My car)
2017 Chevrolet Colorado 2WT (My daily driver)
2010 Mercedes Benz C300 Sedan (Wife's car)
2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in