Toyota Recalls Why is the press silent? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Toyota Recalls Why is the press silent?

GM and Ford get front page coverage for every recall they have. Why does Toyota get a free pass????

TORRANCE, Calif. -- Toyota Motor Sales (TMS) U.S.A. Inc. yesterday announced it would recall approximately 2.3 million vehicles to correct sticking accelerator pedals on specific Toyota Division models. This action is separate from the on-going recall of approximately 4.2 million Toyota and Lexus vehicles to reduce the risk of pedal entrapment by incorrect or out-of-place accessory floor mats. Approximately 1.7 million Toyota Division vehicles are subject to both separate recall actions.

"In recent months, Toyota has investigated isolated reports of sticking accelerator pedal mechanisms in certain vehicles without the presence of floor mats," said TMS Group Vice President Irv Miller. "Our investigation indicates that there is a possibility that certain accelerator pedal mechanisms may, in rare instances, mechanically stick in a partially depressed position or return slowly to the idle position. Consistent with our commitment to the safety of our cars and our customers, we have initiated this voluntary recall action."

So now Toyota is going to be the leader in recalls and the mainstream press is silent. If this were GM they would be dredging up every sin GM ever committed and broadcasting it.

Toyota lends a new Camry to Car and Driver in 2006. The Armrest in the back falls apart, it rattles and the trim doesn't line up.

The new Tundra when introduced had tons of problems.

There has been several other missteps by Toyota and they get an almost free pass.

WHY ????????

Toyota was a quality car. Now the Americans and even the Koreans have passed them. When they passed GM in quality the newspapers shouted it from the tree tops. Now they should be fair and shout out that GM and Ford build better cars and trucks.

My rant's off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Ferg you must not be watching FOX they have been all over this. Over and Over and Over.......

The laimstream media picks and chooses its coverages. Its no wonder their they have few viewers.

Could it be a union thing? You know... they are cozied up to the administration getting perks and backroom deals? SEIU the UAW and on and on and on.... To have the laimstream media portray them in a negative light reflects on the political ties.

Spot lights are on GM and Chrysler they took the bait.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

It's on Fox, but not the rest of the hate America news networks we have.

Hasn't been in the newspaper down here either.

Wednesday the Senate race in Mass was relegated to the 8th page and was just a little blip.

Front page was a list of the accomplishments that Obama has in his first year.

Of course they didn't mention that he campaign on getting us out of Iraq and Afganistan by May '09. When McCain said he was being niave, McCain was criticized.

They didn't mention that he has missed his timeline for healthcare by a longshot.

They didn't mention that he promised an open government and has had nothing but closed door meetings.

They didn't mention that he promised tax relief and then let the Bush ta cuts expire which will raise taxes on most people.

They didn't mention that he promised simple plain language bills and most of the legislation that has been proposed or passed has been over 1000 pages for each bill.

I see a pattern here, show America and American car companies in a bad light. Show Connservatives in a bad light. Show Obama and the Liberals in a good light. Show Toyota and any car company other than the big three in a positve light. No wonder no one watches them or reads newspapers anymore. The shade the news instead of reporting honestly and fairly.
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
ALL of the points you listed are the reasons why the lame-stream media lost its viewership, in particular NBC and are going bankrupt this includes the New York Times and other far left newspapers. General Electric owns the whole NBC MSNBC gamete and they're seriously faltering under Jeffery Immelt. General Electric was dirty selling to Iran while Iran was playing a major role in killing our soldiers in the field in Iraq. Their business dealings began unraveling THANKS TO FOX who's investigative reporting shed light on it. Their stock pummeled and due to public outcry they stopped dealing with Iran. Imment retains his CEO status while their shares are atrocious since he took over. Had FOX not reported this GE would still be dealing with Iran and much of the dirty wranglings they have been associated with would sill be clandestine operations. I have been boycotting GE for the past 4 years or so. I will NOT buy GE products.

NBC played a major role in getting this snake oil salesman elected. They donated tons of money. They are PROUD they did this, they are even selling shirts that says YES WE DID. It is now payback time: The administration is taking care of NBC and according to logs on visitors kept at the White House, Immelt is one of the visitors with the most visits. Imagine that. Obama names 110 White House visitors - White House- msnbc.com
If you look at the list of LOBBYISTS who frequent the White House for gifts and snuggling opts, most got bailed out.

NBC/GE is a major player in the far left push and "re-transformation" of the USA. So all their news shows precisely what the administration wants them to report with regards to politics and this means showing this pathetic administration in as much positive light as possible. MOST news on this administration does not get reported because it most shows a negative light. I talk to many who don't like FOX news and it doesn't cease to amaze me how so ill-informed they are. That's why they call FOX liars cause they don't know exactly whats going on. ABC has set up shop in the W.H. and was the administrations #1 news source promoting healthcare. This angered NBC and CBS, all are in line to get their heads patted by Obama. They are all following each other off a cliff.

If you look at FOX, there are many investigative reporters leaving NBC/CNN/ABC to work for FOX... Glenn Beck, John Stossel, Tucker Carlson to name a few. Not so much they are conservatives but their views were conflicting with the far left direction their parents decided to go. Lou Dobbs's disdain for illegals getting hand outs and getting amnesty in this health care package, by him constantly harping on it and reporting it angered management. This was one of the passages in that package that we were not supposed to know about. As a CNN employee and them not so much as NBC carrying this administrations soiled linen...... this portrayed the FEDS in a negative light, they took so much then he got the axe. He is now surfacing more and more on Fox.

People are fed up. They are not getting accurate journalism from them and are fleeing. Yet guys like Chris Matthews and Keith Olbmermann continue to rah rah rah to a dead audience. PRO Obama page one. ANYTHING that shows him less than positive is either a blurb on the back page or not reported at all. So while all the anti FOX people continue to be ill-informed they continue to support the spiraling crash and burn that is going on while others who seek objectionable news seek other sources and make their decisions based on a more objectionable reporting. The ratings show this.

Had it not been for FOX and other less biased news sources reporting the Van Jones's and other Communist Marxist Czars that were in the White House helping write policy picking apart the healthcare debacles cap and trade and the scores of other clandestine backroom Chicago style politics most would still be ignorat to what is really going on. So.... the fainess doctroine is to silence FOX keep them from reporting what they don't want us to know.

All these people who loath FOX and call them liars, and the lame-stream media chomping at the bit to see them fail and waiting for a lie so they can plaster it all over page one..... they are still waiting. If they are the liars Chris Matthews and alike say they are FOX would be on page one daily being exposed as liars.... so as NBC/ABC/CBS ratings are nearing single digits people who are fed up with the false reporting, NON reporting, and partisan agendas are now speaking up at the ballot box. INSTANT KARMA.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

Last edited by GTO JUDGE; 01-23-2010 at 07:38 AM.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 09:58 AM

There is a convenient little distraction going on right now too, called Haiti.

I was extremely offended when I saw the local news interviewing these "hero" doctors that were waiting to leave the Milwaukee airport for Haiti, to work on people in need down there for free... when they refuse to at home.

This country is so ass-backwards it's not even funny to laugh at in contempt anymore.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 10:24 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fergyflyer View Post
Front page was a list of the accomplishments that Obama has in his first year.
Must have been a short list.......

SOLD.....
462ci, 4spd
Performer Intake, Mild Cam
Pertronix Ignitor III
Accel Super Coil, Accel 8.8mm Wires
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 11:11 AM

Up here in Canada I was reading the paper and I seen on page 20 something a little write up (2"X3") that Yota was recalling millions. I stopped and thought that if it was a Domestic Manufacturer it would be front page breaking news.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianGTO View Post
Up here in Canada I was reading the paper and I seen on page 20 something a little write up (2"X3") that Yota was recalling millions. I stopped and thought that if it was a Domestic Manufacturer it would be front page breaking news.
Exactly.

The Domestics are as good if not better in some cases and the press won't give them a fair shake. Then people that haven't owned a Domestic recently because of the quality problems a decade and a half ago keep their prejudice against the Domestics.

Toyota is building some of the worst cars in terms of styling, flavor and now quality of the auto industry and no one is saying it in the MSM.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho Dan View Post
There is a convenient little distraction going on right now too, called Haiti.

I was extremely offended when I saw the local news interviewing these "hero" doctors that were waiting to leave the Milwaukee airport for Haiti, to work on people in need down there for free... when they refuse to at home.

This country is so ass-backwards it's not even funny to laugh at in contempt anymore.
I was talking with a friend that is a doctor about the cost of healthcare in the US. Here is what he told me.

A typical patient comes in for a skin tag. That's a small piece of excess skin.

Decades ago most people removed it themselves. Now, they have insurance so they go to the doctor and let the doctor handle it. That raises the cost of healthcare.

The doctor charges more because he can get away with it since the patient doesn't care what it costs. The insurance will only pay a percentage of the claim so the doctor makes sure he gets enough to be happy.

We're not done there. The doctor now needs to send this skin tag to a lab to be tested for cancer. He knows from looking at it that it isn't cancerous with 99.9% certainty, but if he's wrong he's going to be sued and lose his license and practice so he sends it out.

So this skin tag that cost nothing but a bandaid a couple decades ago now costs the patient $20 for the office visit, the insurance company also pays $160 to the doctor and $170 to the lab. So it's $350 for the same thing.

People constantly come in for a wart on their hand. He isn't allowed to say try Compound W and if that doesn't work come and see me, he has to treat them and then he has to cover his butt so he doesn't get sued.

He actually had a lady come in with a hang nail. He had to remove it and he had to send it to the lab to make sure that it wasn't something more.

You fix healthcare with three things.

1) Tort reform. there needs to be limits on the amount of money a person can recover and we need a loser pays all legal fees. That will stop the frivalous lawsuits and encourage the party that is wrong to settle quickly to keep costs down.

2 Insurance reform. We need to get back to where we were n the 50's and 60's with a major healthcare policy that insures a person is covered for hospital visits for major items like a gall bladder or heart surgery. Simple office visits are out of pocket. That will stop people from going to the doctor for a hang nail.

3) hospitals need to be able to turn away those that don't have insurance. It sounds cold, but I would be willing to bet that most of the people that can't afford health insurance would be able to afford a major policy like I described above. Also these same people that can't afford health insurance have cell phones, cable tv and a bunch of other luxuries that could pay for health insurance.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 03:06 PM

Agreed. I fixed an ingrown toenail by myself with a pocket knife, needle nose, and some alcohol. Probably would have been $300-400 had I made a doctor do it.

Antibiotics need to be deregulated as well... seriously, who is going to get high on/addicted to penicillin? You don't need a prescription for aspirin or acetaminophen...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in