The Trip - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Trip

This summer I'm making the trip of a lifetime. It's going to be a driving trip in the C6 and will allow me to say I have been in all 48 continental United States by picking up North Dakota, Idaho, Washington and Oregon. The total amount of days will be about 20 and it will be about 12,000 miles. There will be pictures upon my return.

Here is the basic route and time frame. I'm leaving on June 27th and returning July 15-18th depending on weather and my desire to get back to work.

I'm heading north out of Florida, since Cuba and Puerto Rico aren't states yet, to Kentucky, Bowling Green to be precise. There I'll tour the Corvette Museum and factory. From there it's mostly west with a little bit of north thrown in.

I hook up with I70 at St. Louis and see the arch. From there it's on to Colorado. I'm going to run rt 105 just west of Denver which is the highest paved road in the US, conditions permitting. Then it's back down to the Loveland pass at just a little over 11,990 feet. From there it's a mountain tour of Colorado including Copper Mountain, a trek over rt 82 and the Independence pass at 12,093 ft. Oh I forgot a stop in Vail to have lunch with some friends. A run through Aspen then down past Telluride to the southwest corner of Colorado and Mesa Verde National Park.

Throough 4 corners into Arizona and to the Glen Canyon Dam which will probably be torn down in the near future. Then over to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. I've seen the South Rim numerous times, never been to the North Rim.

From there it's into Utah and through Zion, Bryce Canyon, the Grand Staircase Escalante and Capital Reef National Parks. Then north past the flaming Gorge Dam and the Green River into Wyoming.

In Wyoming it up to Jackson Hole and The Grand Tetons then Yellowstone. From there it's over the Beartooth pass at 10,943 ft. Then on to the Little Big Horn. Then back into Wyoming and over to Devils Tower.

I then head into South Dakota for some exploring at Mt Rushmore and Deadwood, plus a stop at the Sturgis Mortorcycle Museum. Then north into North Dakota to say I've been there.

Then I head into Montana and some open running on Montana hwy 200 which is pretty empty and will afford some good 120-170 mph running. Up into the northwest corner for a trip to Glacier National Park. Then cut through Idaho in Washington.

After passing through Washington, I'm going to cut through the middle of Oregon and stop at Crater Lake. Then over to the coast for a run down 101.

In California, I'm going to go through Redwoods National Park. Then I've heard about rt 299 being a great drive so I'm cutting over to I5 on that. Down I5 to 99. Rt 120 into Yosemite and then back to Merced where I'll meet with some friends. Then it on to the coast by heading south and then west on my favorite driving road, rt 58 between Bakersfield and Santa Margarita. I'll spend some time in San Luis Obispo, where I lived in California. Then head south to LA for a wedding.

Out of LA it will be a quick run up to Vegas. I'm not really planning on doing anything in Vegas except.... well not much. You know.

Then I'll cross the Hoover Dam. I'm going to try to head up to that new horsheshoe shaped walkway that goes out over the Grand Canyon if I can find it.

In New Mexico I'm going to stop at Silver City, Roswell and Carlsbad. Then it's on to Texas.

In Texas I'm going to stop at the Alamo and remember.

From there it's just straight across I10 with a stop along the coast for a bit of gambling. Then home.

A couple days will be nothing but lots of miles, but most days will only have 500-600 miles. I normally get up at 5 am so I'll be on the road by 6 and have 2-300 miles in before I want to stop somewhere. Then another 200 in the afternoon and a 100-200 in the evening, so the drive won't be that bad. Yes I do love to drive.

The best part is, my girlfriend doesn't like to drive. She is going with me to Vail where she will stay with friends. Then I will meet up with her in LA for the wedding and then on to Vegas. She flies out of Vegas and I get a peacefull trip back home. Enough of her for some fun. Enough time on my own for peace and quiet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 08:04 PM

You just have life in ur hand don't you?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fergyflyer View Post

I then head into South Dakota for some exploring at Mt Rushmore and Deadwood, plus a stop at the Sturgis Mortorcycle Museum. Then north into North Dakota to say I've been there.

Then I head into Montana and some open running on Montana hwy 200 which is pretty empty and will afford some good 120-170 mph running. Up into the northwest corner for a trip to Glacier National Park. Then cut through Idaho in Washington.
A couple of things, while in the Black Hills, leave Deadwod and go south on Hwy 385 and check out the Crazy Horse Memorial, Needles Highway, Custer State Park and Coal Mountain Rd whick will bring you out at Mt Rushmore. Another scenic ride would be hwy 44 east in Rapid City, about 60 miles and you can enter the Badlands National Park from the South Entrance.

While in Washington check out Mt Ranier and Mt. St Helens, both are impressive and beautiful.

Have fun!

Randy

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 09:12 PM

Have fun man. Drive safe (and fast).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in