LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Two-door Dodge Challenger to return?

Two-door Dodge Challenger to return?

The resurrected Challenger muscle car will come back in 2009 industry paper says.
June 13, 2005: 12:27 PM EDT

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - It's starting to look like the muscle car wars of the late 1960s are coming back for real. Following this year's introduction of the Dodge Charger, the next muscle car name to be resurrected will be the Dodge Challenger, according to a report in the industry weekly Automotive News.

The Challenger will be based on the same platform as the Charger, which shares its mechanical underpinnings with the Chrysler 300 and the Dodge Magnum wagon, according to the report. The newspaper cites industry sources including outside analysts familiar with the development program.

No-one with Chrysler Group, the division of DaimlerChrysler responsible for Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep vehicles. would talk about the program, Automotive News said.

Unlike the Charger, the Challenger will be a two-door car, according to the report. That would put it in direct competition with the recently redesigned Ford Mustang and the Pontiac GTO. The current Charger has four doors.

Like the Charger, 300 and Magnum, the Challenger will be available with an optional V8 "Hemi" engine, Automotive News said.

When it was originally introduced for the 1970 model year, the Challenger was a small "Pony Car" competitor to the Ford Mustang and Chevrolet Camaro.

The car is scheduled to be introduced in 2009, Automotive News said. The report said the company expects to sell 60,000 to 70,000 Challengers a year.

Randy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Man, just hope oil, which went over $56 a barrel today, doesn't blow this latest round of the muscle car wars to bits.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 09:33 PM

I hope by 2009 they figure out that a muscle car does not need to have a garage door for a front grill and a dash that was injection molded at the Tyco factory, China.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 12:28 PM

Right!

Now, I just bought an 05 GTO and I LOVE IT! But my all-time dream car is a 1970 Dodge Challenger (hence my username and e-mail adress) so this could be huge for me. But if it looks anything like those travesties they are calling Chargers nowadays I swear to dear god that I will SCREAM. I'm actually getting nervous as I type this. If they deficate on the Challenger as they have on the Charger I swear I will turn into a turbo-charged version of The Hulk and make it my mission to destroy every Dodge factory on the planet.

But who knows, if I have my Goat paid off by then and it turns out to be a good car (meaning it that is looks nothing like the "garage door" they're selling as a Charger) , I might pick one up.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 02:19 PM

I like Mopar, but for God sakes these things look like ass!!!!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Maybe the Challenger will look like a Dodge Power Wagon. How about it lookin like a Boxy Scion? OOPS wrong company. You wanna talk about FOOGLY.... everytime I see one of those boxes on wheels I want to run it off the road. Now that is one damn ugly .......what the hell is it anyway?

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTODEALER
I like Mopar, but for God sakes these things look like ass!!!!
Haha, I couldn't have put it in any better of a way!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO judge
Maybe the Challenger will look like a Dodge Power Wagon. How about it lookin like a Boxy Scion? OOPS wrong company. You wanna talk about FOOGLY.... everytime I see one of those boxes on wheels I want to run it off the road. Now that is one damn ugly .......what the hell is it anyway?
you forgot about the Honda Elements...those are God-awful as well...what were some of these designers thinking?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO judge
I always think of what my brother said the first time he saw one. "That thing looks like the box it came in!"
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 09:55 PM

Does anyone know why they scrapped the first body design they had for the Charger? I remember seeing it on the Dodge site under concept cars. If I remember, it was supposed to be natural gas powered. Somewhere around 325-345 hp. And the design wasn't bad at all. Actually looked like something they could call a Charger.

This SEDAN that they put out, just doesn't make sense to me. I can understand the GTO looking like other cars in the stable because, well, that is the car's roots! But the Charger was supposed to be it's own model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in