User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Two Months

Two months, two payments, one oil change, 3000 miles.... The car is totaled

Tonight, after the supercross, I let a firend drive the car home. He is a very well versed driver.....I trust him completely...We were on 31 heading south and turned on to National.. during the turn a dog ran across the street. He cut the wheels too hard trying to miss, wheels broke loose. he over corrected, started to fishtail. Then the death knell, grass. The back tires hit the grass and we might as well been on ice. The car slid side first into a hydrant and utility pole....
We were buckled in, I got the brunt of the hit. I was sitting in the passenger seat, the pole hit the passenger door. Another friend, in the back seat behind me was also jolted very well. The driver got away with a goose egg on his head.....

We are no worse for the wear, the buddy driving offered me his first born (whenever he has one) as compensation.

I guess now I have to decide if I'm getting a new GTO. I'm not sure how this will work, with my rates since I was not the driver. I have never had an at fault wreck. So, hopefully insurance doesn't kill me.

I guess what is most upsetting is the community this car brings with it is now gone for me. I was definetly looking forward to the get together today as well as the many cruises coming up.

With any luck I will have an 06 Brazen GTO, but I have to see what happens with my insurance first.

Thanks for letting me talk and taking the time to read this somewhat lengthy post. I will post pics as soon as I get them from my friend....

Jake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 11:42 PM

OOOOUUUUCCCCHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

That stinks, surely your insurance won't hurt to bad since you weren't driving. I wonder if your buddy's insurance will have to foot the bill on this since he was driving.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Monica
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 12:15 AM

has the car insurance asked you were you can buy it for a good price
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 12:53 AM

Damn that is horrible. i know exactly how you must feel.

Just damn. that was a great looking car too. How'd it handle the crash? you said you took the brunt of the impact, anything serious?

Good luck with insurance and finding another one.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 09:07 AM

I had a similar experience years ago. The driver needed to fill out the accident report and his insurance covered the repairs. His insurance also gave me a list of shops that do their repairs. I chose one that was highly recommended by people I knew. I don't know if the law is state by state. This happened in Ohio.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO_go_BLUE
I had a similar experience years ago. The driver needed to fill out the accident report and his insurance covered the repairs. His insurance also gave me a list of shops that do their repairs. I chose one that was highly recommended by people I knew. I don't know if the law is state by state. This happened in Ohio.
In VA, you're responsible for whomever you let drive your car. Not good news for this thread starter, but it shows it's different from state to state.

Sorry for your loss- - -
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Like I said, I was in the passenger seat... It only hurts when I breathe:lol
No, the airbags did not deploy, although the instrument cluster displayed a flashing "Airbag Failure Alert". As if I was unable to figure that out:eek

Thanks for all of your concerns and replies. I do appreciate it.

Jake
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 06:17 PM

Man, what a bummer. It's good noone was seriously hurt. I hope all goes well with the insurance and replacing your car. As much as the GTO is special, it's not better than health and relationships.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 08:17 PM

Yep, glad you weren't hurt man.
It hurts though to lose a car, I know the feeling.
One thing you may want to keep in mind...if the engine isn't destroyed, you could buy the car back from the insurance company for 10% of what they are offering you. I know a guy who trashed his mustang cobra and the insurance company gave him $12k for it. After they gave him the $$, he said he'd like to buy it back, so he got it for $1200...the damage was in the rear end so the interior, engine and most of the drivetrain were still nearly perfect (including the thousands of dollars of modifications he'd done, which were EASILY worth $1200). So...if there's anything you can use or sell, you might consider buying it back to recoup some of your loss, and have spare parts in case anything goes wrong with your new GTO (if that's the route you go).
I agree with the others, in almost ALL states, the driver is responsible for the car they're driving, so YOUR insurance won't be going up unless your buddy doesn't have insurance. This should be a "no fault" accident for you. However, his insurance company is gonna hate him.
For future reference, if you hit the animal, all damages are covered and the incident is considered no-fault. You swerve to miss the animal and hit something else and the accident is considered your fault. I had to learn this the hard way. A dog would have done a fair amount of damage, but probably not as much as a telephone pole and a fire hydrant. That's really harsh sounding, but that's the way it is. (by the way, I'm a dog lover, so I am not advocating hitting every dog that crosses your path).
Good Luck getting this all straightened out. You've got your health, so do your friends, so that's really what matters (even though it doesn't really make you feel any better when you look at where your GTO is *SUPPOSED* to be in your driveway/garage). Please keep us updated if you decide to go with a new GTO or not.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 10:14 PM

Crap. Glad to see you are somewhat ok. I would contact Pontiac on the Airbag failure. That is BS, they should give you a free GTO. Really!!! See what you can do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in