What car to buy?! - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What car to buy?!

I'm 19, I have been saving for sometime now to get a new used car. I've been a member of the SRT-4 forums for a long time and I love those cars to death.....BUT right now I own a 03 Neon and there are soooooo many problems with it and the dealer gives me all these bull**** excuses about why they are there and I'm just sick of my three year old car falling apart(no I don't beat on it and yes, I do care for it a lot), so I HATE HATE HATE Daimler Chrysler for ever now!

I still really want the srt-4, its an awesome car for such a cheap price. Well one day I was looking at a used 04 GTO for around the same price of the srt-4, so ever since then I've been looking and wanting a nice 300 rwhp GTO, but I think the insurence would kill me. So what should I do?! Used 05 SRT-4 or a used 04 GTO!?!

Last edited by CoreyGTO; 05-23-2006 at 12:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 01:21 PM

No Replacement For Displacement

05 TORRID RED M6 18'S BLACK INT.
1 OF 146
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyGTO
I'm 19, I have been saving for sometime now to get a new used car. I've been a member of the SRT-4 forums for a long time and I love those cars to death.....BUT right now I own a 03 Neon and there are soooooo many problems with it and the dealer gives me all these bull**** excuses about why they are there and I'm just sick of my three year old car falling apart(no I don't beat on it and yes, I do care for it a lot), so I HATE HATE HATE Daimler Chrysler for ever now!

I still really want the srt-4, its an awesome car for such a cheap price. Well one day I was looking at a used 04 GTO for around the same price of the srt-4, so ever since then I've been looking and wanting a nice 300 rwhp GTO, but I think the insurence would kill me. So what should I do?! Used 05 SRT-4 or a used 04 GTO!?!
Sorry to hear you have had trouble with your existing car. We have a younger guy at work that has a red '04 SRT-4. I never really gave those cars a second thought until he tossed me the keys one day. Wow! He had done a little work to it, and added a Stage II kit. Fun little car. Interestingly the car was pretty solid, and I was impressed at what a good value they are. So far no problems for him.

Bottom line for you is this. You're asking us as GTO owners what to do, so that's a loaded question right there. Realize first that EVERY car has it's quirks. Figure out what you can comfortably afford, and go drive both. Make your own decision from there and don't look back.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 03:03 PM

I can appreciate your situation. The nonexistant customer service and abundant technical problems with chrysler are the main reason i'm not considering an SRT4.

If your price range is high enough to be considering a ~20k vehicle, there are lots of ways you could go. A cobalt SS would be easy to find for that much, not quite as much aftermarket attention as an SRT-4 yet, but a better car overall. If you can get an 04 goat, i'd pick it up in a second, but these are very different cars for very different needs.

Out of the choices you're giving us, i'd go with a goat way before the srt-4. There's just no comparison in fit/finish/power/handling/reliability.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyGTO

I'd go with the GTO, if it's obvious that it hasn't been abused and if it's been well-maintained. Used 05 SRT-4s might be a little pricey...some used ones are now being listed for more money than my friend just paid for his 05 SRT-4, new. Probably not any new ones left. And the insurance just might run you more on the SRT-4 than the GTO...my friends premiums are higher than mine, and we live within the same zip code, same deductions, clean driving records, same age, nearly exact same credit score, same insurance provider, etc...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 05:00 PM

I agree with Mod; compared to the SRT-4, the insurance on the GTO may surprise you.
No comparison on this one. The GTO is just plain more car than the SRT-4.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 05:56 PM

Not An 04

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowride
I agree with Mod; compared to the SRT-4, the insurance on the GTO may surprise you.
No comparison on this one. The GTO is just plain more car than the SRT-4.

If your gunna go with the GTO then you should try and get the 05-06 lS2 is the way to go. but if you cant afford it then i think the 04 gto would be a better car then the SRT-4. The only reason i can afford this car is cause i recently got hired on with the railroad. im also 19 and im in a 06 m6 and my insurance is 150 a month cause im on with my parents plan.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 09:02 PM

Perhaps GTODealer will respond, as he's owned both a GTO and has an SRT-4.

They are both (from what I hear--do not have personal experience with the SRT-4) good cars but are very different types of cars. On one hand you have the small, FWD 4cyl Turbo pocket rocket, on the other hand a larger, heavier, solid RWD V8.

I'll agree with what the others have said on the insurance. Get quotes on both and see how they come out. I wouldn't be surprised if the Goat was cheaper. Or, it might be the same. The only times I've heard of someone having cheap insurance on the SRT-4 was when their insurance company rated it as a regular Neon--in which case they are not likely to get proper payout.

I've heard hit or miss things about Neon quality, but have not heard consistently on how that translates to the SRT-4. Some have said that the SRT-4 is very different in everything, where as others have said that outside the engine and suspension, you still have a not-great interior etc.

This is a matter of personal taste as to which you prefer, but the SRT-4 is generally flashier and may attract more attention than the Goat. Attracting attention includes both regular people and cops.

Try sitting in a GTO (since you have a Neon, I can't imagine the SRT-4 interior feeling much different) and compare seat firmness, pedal layout, elbow room etc.

06 IBM/blue M6 18"
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 01:16 AM

Hey ls2 n blue do you work for union paciffic. One of my friends work there and he told me that one of his co workers also has a goat.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I've been in both, but only driven the srt-4 and I've only started a 04 6 speed. I liked how the body shook when I reved the engine. I have a clean drivng record and I could get the good student discount too, but right now I pay 1300 a year for my neon and its going to be about 700-900 more for a GTO. If I get my new job, I'll be rolling in money though. My only gripe about the GTO is the lack of head room, other than that I'm not sure what else I don't like. For the smae price, the GTO is a much much better looking car and quality is very high.....Gah, I don't know what to do!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in