What Do People ask about your GTO? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What Do People ask about your GTO?

I'm sure that anyone who's had a GTO has had people come up and ask them questions about it. I have had dozens of people over the year I've owned the car.
My question is...
Do y'all seem to get more of one type/age/sex/race of person than another? I've had both men and women of all ages and several races ask me questions about my car. I do seem to get about an equal number of middle-aged men who had a GTO in their younger days and younger, high-school or college-aged guys who are interested in the car. I've had a few women ask questions as well, but they tend to comment more than ask questions. Is this what everyone else gets too?
I live in a very small town in Missouri, so I don't get a huge cross section of people around here. When I go to St. Louis, I do tend to get a few more questions/comments. Just yesterday, I was at a gas station and a middle-aged guy asked me what kind of gas mileage I get (a common question actually), I told him I get around 24 or so on the highway, then he told me he had a '71 Mach 1 Mustang and proceeded to ask me how fast the GTO was...to which I answered "pretty fast, but your mustang may give me a run for my money" (his wife was in the car, listening, and I didn't want to make the guy feel too bad). He ended up telling me that the GTO would probably outrun him in a shorter race, but he may catch up in a longer race...he said the newer cars seemed to be faster off the line, but they lose some "oomph" as speeds increase.
Most of the comments I get from women are "that's a pretty color" or "that's a beautiful car, I had a yellow (insert car here) when I was younger". Very rarely has a woman asked "is it fast" or "is it fun to drive". Women seem to be far more interested in the looks of the car, whereas men seem to be interested in the speed. I'm sure that's not always the case, but that's the pattern I've picked up.
The younger guys ALWAYS start out with "is it fast", or if they've seen inside, their first question is "will it really do 200?" (I'd **LOVE** to be able to say yes to that question haha).
I always see a lot of people staring at the car, especially the middle-aged guys in older cars. They know what my car is, and some of 'em will even toy around with me a bit if we're going the same direction. I had my arse handed to me last year by a Chevelle, which I haven't been able to find again since I got my new rip-shifter in my GTO. I'm generally staring at their older cars too, because they're just as interesting to me as my goat.
I'd breakdown my question-askers as:

60% middle-aged men (35-55).
30% Teenaged males and under-35 men.
5% Women, usually middle-aged.
3% Older men, 55+
2% Everyone else

There is nothing cooler to me than to have a guy with an older, fast, COOL car like a chevelle, older camaro, gto, mopar or even an occasional mustang, come up and tell me they like my car. I already have a sense of respect for those cars and the people that drive/build them (usually), so it means more coming from them. When a guy driving a ricer, which tends to sound like a weed-eater says "nice car", I tend to think something like "uh, yeah, I know, especially compared to a car which sounds like a leaf blower!" (although I doubt I'd ever say that). It's always nice when a woman notices the car, especially if they're cute, but that's another story entirely. haha

Anyway, I'd like to hear from y'all about the people who ask you questions about your GTO and what they say. I made a few generalizations here, so please don't hold that against me, I know there are plenty of women out there who are interested in speed more than colors and looks and I know there are men out there who are interested in the way a car looks more than how it drives/runs or what kind of mileage I get with it. I feel very privileged that people DO notice my car and take the time to make positive comments about it, that means there's something about my car which makes it stand out from the rest...and that's precisely why I bought this car!

Thanks in advance for your replies and I look forward to hearing from everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 07:42 PM

20-30yo men ask about mine, I normally dont have much good to say
post #3 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Don't have much good to say?? Is your goat a problem child or somethin'?
post #4 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 07:48 PM

Not many questions from women, but one of them, prolly 19 or 20, was talking about one being her next car. Other questions are, "is it as fast as they say?", to which I didn't really have an answer to. Or, "do you like it?" Or, "how many Mustangs have you killed?" Mostly I just get a thumbs up or "nice car!" I get the shadow treatment too. Ages seem to run the gamut from early 20's to middle aged.
post #5 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron_iv View Post
Don't have much good to say?? Is your goat a problem child or somethin'?
Has some issues, dealing with with GM warranty makes me want to remove someones heart with my knife though
post #6 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 10:57 PM

Now that people know a little more about the GTO (you can thank GM for the lack of)... I get a lot more comments from the younger crowd. A lot of thumbs up...several "GIT ON IT's"...and today had some dude, apon me firing her up, a 'F**K YEAH!" Some of the happily married men with kids in the minivan....I get a longing look of, 'gee, I wish I were single again." Had one guy...prolly 50 yrs old or so... ask me "Will that dog hunt?" And I get lots of stares from women as well.....Im sure its me and not just the car... .
But all in all, I get a lot of 'nice car' or "whats that got in it" comments. Its really nice owning a car like this. Its rather rare...which catches peoples eye.

'06 Torrid Red M6
Cam
Headers
C.A.I.
Shifter
JHP Pod
Pulley
Pedders stuff
Shizon tuned
post #7 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 02:00 AM

i've only got two comments. one was a guy at the gas station while filling up he asked "how much gas that thing hold?" i'd say he was early to mid 40s. the other comment was from an irrate off duty police officer after i had burnt his grand prix he yelled at the stoplight right before taking a right turn "you need to slow that thing down, i tried to warn you but you really should slow that thing down" other than that i feel like i might be going to fast for people to say much about it although i did get a serious look from a female unmarked officer today. her head did a 180 as she traveled in the opposite direction. i must say in the time i have had mine (not long) i have only seen about 12 on the road. if i had purchased a sti, evo,stang, r32,m3 or whatever i'm sure afterwards i would have felt like everyone his brother and last cousins had one. sad thing i think is they are so rare that when someone with a hot ride runs across one they remembered the last outcome and don't seem to want to try and run them again. i've only found two people to run in 6000 miles
post #8 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 03:51 AM

Hey guys, I have a 2006 cobalt SS/SC and they are practically giving away some GTO's at a nearby dealer. I've got my eye on an Imperial Blue 6spd Manual. My cobalt is a little bit of a problem child *I love the 'balt, but LS2 Covette level V8 power doesn't come around everyday for purchase* How do the 2005-2006 GTO's hold up? I don't want to have issues with this vehicle or false sense of security on the reliability side.

Thanks!
post #9 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 09:18 AM

To BILLYGTO: don't Hijack the thread start your own with that question or do a search. but to answer your question they have their problems like every car does but nothing major that I have heard of. I am sure others have much better answers. As to the original question posted..... I get looks but no one asks about it. Then again it is winter in chicago and I am using my v6 Camaro as my DD still, so the GTO doesnt see much action.
post #10 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 06:38 PM

I really don't get much. I just get a ton of looks from passer-byers - likely due to the sound and color more than the look. Only time I've gotten questions is when family or friends ride in it. "This is GM?" or comments like "Holy crap, I didn't know 'American' cars could be so fast!" things like that. Between this, the Z06, and the CTS-V, I've almost opened up the eyes of one of my friends who previously couldn't think of ANYTHING except Audi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in