User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
What hobbies besides your GTO do you enjoy....

What hobbies besides your GTO do you enjoy....

Winter time and -5 degrees here in Misery er Missouri and I'm thinking about taking the pistols out to clean. I enjoy target shooting and the history, mechanics of firearms. Shooting is something I can do with friends, family and my Wife and Daughter. There are new ranges opening fairly close to my home so I'm hoping they will have some leagues to join this year.

Coin collecting is another hobby I enjoy. I'm currently trying to complete a proof set collection but I also buy silver coins. I love holding history in my hands, the thought of a civil war area coin conjures visions of steamboats on the Mississippi, cowboys on the range, and silver mines in Colorado. The different coin designs are amazing and I try and work my way up in quality when I can. Thinking about how many people handled a worn Draped Bust Dollar when sharing it with my Daughter is priceless.

I also dig slot cars. I have a few HO scale sets from my childhood with over 200 feet of track. Sadly many of the cars didn't survive but can still be had cheaply on Ebay. My current favorite is my Scalectrix 1/32 track however. These were out of reach for my when I was a kid but I stepped up about 10 years ago. The cars are beautifully reproduced and blindingly fast. I don't have a permanently set up track but I do have about 30 linear feet and would like to expand. You can run multiple transformers on these tracks to get to 36 volts to make a massive track. There is a large 8 lane track at a local mall you can take your cars to race also.

So what do you do when it's too cold out to work on your GTO?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 07:40 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am a grill master and recently entered the realm of smoking meats.

2003 Corvette Z06 - MGW shifter, Corsa X pipe, Corsa Xtreme exhaust, Texas Speed long tubes w/o cats, PowerStop rotors/pads, Conti DWS tires, C6Z51 F&R sways, C5R headlights, tuned

04 GTO - sold
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
I remember when the slot racer fad first hit. I raked and scraped and saved enough money to buy the parts and build a car. I got it together, started saving to by a controller --- just about the time all the tracks in town closed down for good. One of my uncles was into the hobby big time and actually won some trophies. I remember he had a car that looked like a vintage dirt track sprint car, and that it had a "Wilson Golden Screamer" motor in it. Funny the details one remembers.

As far as my other hobbies? Oh man... it's a long list. Mind you, I don't have the time to be active in all of them and some have been "dormant" for years, but they still interest me. One of the things in the latter category is flying. I've got my private pilot certificate but haven't been actively flying in a loooong time. It got too expensive for me.
I also like to shoot - anything - especially black powder. I'm a certified NRA Training Counselor, something I got into indirectly through my involvement with my sons' boy scout troop. I'm also into scouting. I was scoutmaster for 8 years, venture crew advisor after that. Totaled I've probably got 20+ years involvement in some capacity, been to Philmont 5 times, also Northern Tier Canoe Base (Bissett Canada) and Florida Sea Base. I still love to camp and back-pack. Mrs. Bear is into that too as long as she doesn't have to deal with "kids" (she went with me once on a Philmont trek and had a 'bad experience').
I also play drums, being a big fan of classic rock. (The "GFR" part of BearGFR stands for Grand Funk Railroad), And... you'd think that I'd get enough of this at work since that's what I do for a living, but I also tinker with computers - write a lot of my own utility software, have my own email and web servers, etc.

"Some day" I'd like to learn to SCUBA, learn to sail (boats in the 40 ft class), take a performance driving class, learn to fly hot air ballons, para-gliders....

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 06:55 AM

Garage
Bear, Grand Funk Railroad? I had not picked up on that before. Loved that band. I suspect you still have an Iron Butterfly album as well then.

I have a heated shop, so no problem working on projects through the Iowa winter. In fact, I spend a lot of spare time servicing and performing preventative maintenance on a wide range of equipment and tools. You know the deal, even the chain saw needs a little care in the off season. And of course grandchildren and their sports activities. No shortage of things to do with them.

Regards, Matt

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Bear, Grand Funk Railroad? I had not picked up on that before. Loved that band. I suspect you still have an Iron Butterfly album as well then.
Yeah There's a lot to tell with me and GFR. Back in '98 through a series of events things worked out so that I met and made friends with the band. That summer I took a long vacation out to California and followed their tour for a couple weeks, met and stayed with other crazy fans like me Even got to jam and play some music with some. In fact, the very next night after having met a couple of great guys for the first time, we went to a studio and did this:

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 05:02 PM

Like others have said....firearms, any really, have always been a hobby. I really enjoy taking new shooters out and have looked into becoming an NRA instructor a few times...just need to find the time to actually do it. Lately Sporting Clays has been the new thing with a group of friends, but I enjoy it all.

I like to eat, and I suppose it works since I do like to cook. And while I can enjoy a Mich Lite or Bud Lite I do enjoy craft beer or a good Rye Whiskey or Islay Single Malt.

Used to Rock Climb, but haven't really been able to get back into it after a few injuries....my mind still thinks I can handle way more than my soft tissue seems to agree with. So I think that may be done for.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
When i am not running a business or wrenching on the car i like to play hockey, shoot the handguns at the range and draw.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 07:13 AM

Oh man! I was a slot car freak in the mid 60s till got my driver’s license and discovered girls (also a great hobby back then). Built a massive track in my parent’s basement from 1/32nd scale track and cars made by Strombecker. I started buying more high end cars with ball bearings, magnesium frames, high performance tires and swing arm power shoes that would allow the cars to do wheelies. Even bought a couple 1/24th scale cars and a really good speed control so I could run them on the BIG tracks.

Love fresh water fishing. Used to build and fly radio controlled gliders. Play bass guitar but haven’t picked it up in a while.

My most current hobbies are:
Hanging out in my garage............................................ ....... (working on my GTO)
Spray painting .................................................. ................(GTO parts)
Shopping .................................................. .......................(for GTO parts)
Assembling a full scale working model of an American muscle car (1968 GTO)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 08:02 AM

Garage
Bear, now that is cool. Thanks, Matt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in